Light Grinding When Left/Right of Center

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hi All!

Happy New Year!

Got some diagnosis I need some help with from the collective brain trust here!

Just got back from Colorado visiting family (1000 mile round trip). Over the past several weeks, Ive noticed a noise when turning the truck at full lock. Sounds like driving over gravel, but only at full lock. Then shortly into the drive to Colorado, I barely noticed a faint hollow grinding sound that seemed very intermittent.

Now, during the return trip, and in the days that followed, I can confidently say that the sound is no longer "faint", but is constantly present anytime the steering wheel is any degree of off center (left or right). It also sounds like its coming from the drivers side front area.

While in Colorado, I did have the passenger side wheel off the ground (for something unrelated), and noticed that the outer tie rod end on that side is shot.

I will be replacing the tie rod ends on the truck shortly, but dont think that will solve the grinding sound...or the gravel sound at full lock.

Do you think the two sounds are connected or am I looking at multiple issues? Front end suspension is not something Ive done a ton of diagnosis on...but finances at the moment wont allow me to have this done at a shop.

Truck is a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. 5.7, with 159k miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yup, sounds like textbook bearing noise conditions.

The full lock could be a tire rub also, but the slight turn grind is telling.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to agree with the others. Sounds like your wheel hubs are shot. You can replace one, if it's only one that is making the noise, but I'd probably replace both at the same time.

I just did mine this past spring. First time to replace hubs and it took about 2.5-3 hrs to do both of them. I added new brake pads while I was there.

OP
OP
Jwrigh12

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yep! Finally had a minute to jack up that side and see. I have some play 2 to 6 o'clock when rocking the wheel. Not much... but enough.

The other side wheel bearing is fine, but that side has a bad tie rod end, so ill end up doing both sides wheel hub bearing and outer ti rod ends. Going to order the parts (today hopefully) and get them on as son as I can.

Follow up question... while I'm in there, what other suspension parts should I be looking at? Is anything known to go out at about the same time as tie rod ends or wheel hub bearings?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep! Finally had a minute to jack up that side and see. I have some play 2 to 6 o'clock when rocking the wheel. Not much... but enough.

The other side wheel bearing is fine, but that side has a bad tie rod end, so ill end up doing both sides wheel hub bearing and outer ti rod ends. Going to order the parts (today hopefully) and get them on as son as I can.

Follow up question... while I'm in there, what other suspension parts should I be looking at? Is anything known to go out at about the same time as tie rod ends or wheel hub bearings?
Brakes will be apart anyways so if you need them this is the time, also this is the way to replace CVs so torn boot or clicking now's the time for that also. Nothing else pops to mind that wouldn't be just as easy a different time.

OP
OP
Jwrigh12

Jwrigh12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ok glad you mentioned cv's! Don't notice any clicking normaly... but I have about 1-2 mm of play in and out and about a mm or s rotational play when in park with the cv's. Nothing angular... that feels tight, but is that normal or are these worn? Only clicking ice heard are the two sounds mentioned above (grinding, which is the wheel bearing, and gravel sound ish when turingat full lock.)

Really hoping that cvs are not on the table right now as cash is pretty tight... but want to do things right

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok glad you mentioned cv's! Don't notice any clicking normaly... but I have about 1-2 mm of play in and out and about a mm or s rotational play when in park with the cv's. Nothing angular... that feels tight, but is that normal or are these worn? Only clicking ice heard are the two sounds mentioned above (grinding, which is the wheel bearing, and gravel sound ish when turingat full lock.)

Really hoping that cvs are not on the table right now as cash is pretty tight... but want to do things right
Any tears in the boots? If not, I'd lean towards not replacing them unless you see issues.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Jack up the front tires and spin them. Put a big screw driver on the steering knuckle and put your ear on the end of it ( or get a cheap stethoscope at harbor freight) while spinning and see if it's noisier one side to the other.