Lighting problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ali07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I bought a 2007 ram 1500 about a month ago and it’s having a lot of electrical issues. It started when I flipped a switch and it melted the wire going from the switch to the battery, so I cut it off, but it also melted a bunch of other wires, and now whenever I hit a bump or the truck shakes the headlights turn on and the little electronic display dims, and once they are on they won’t turn off until it shakes or I hit another bump, and when I turn the truck off it beeps and the lights won’t turn off. I have disconnected the battery completely and somehow they stay on. How is that even possible. My best guess is that when the wire melted another wire melted and is shorting out somewhere. But I have no idea. Anyone know what I should do? I think I’m gonna have a shop look at it.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Could be many things such as a previous rewire that used wrong gauge wire, to much resistance, bad connection, etc. You don't say what the wire was going to but will assume that it is something added aftermarket, both accessory and switch plus wiring. Remove it all and then have factory wiring replaced and ensure all base wiring is correct and tight with clean connection points. Then have proper installation of accessories done. Learned my lesson hard way, added fog lights one time and hit wrong power source, lost all lights on country back road at 3 am. Electronics are finicky things. Good luck