Lightning Bolt and Rough idle -help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WiregrassMechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have put a scanner on it and changed throttle body I cant attach a video of what it's doing. Once it starts driving and is under throttle it runs fine, however at idle or when it isnt under throttle it acts up.

Here is video:

OP
OP
W

WiregrassMechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are some observations and a picture of scanner codes after multiple resets:
1. Changing Throttle body did not fix issue
2. You can unplug the IAT sensor while truck is running and there is no change good or bad (does throw code when unplugged)
3. Moving wires near the bulk head next to ECU sometimes will change idle but the connections are all clean and no broken wires visible after checking for quite some time.
4. Seems to idle worse when connecting the air intake back onto throttle body.
5. Symptoms like a bad IAC and always looking for idle.

Thoughts or suggestions?
20200326_151607.jpg

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try just turning the key to the on position with the engine off nd then slowly push the gas pedal to the floor and back 2 or 3 times. I think that is what I did when I changed the throttle body on my 04 hemi.

jerryt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hope you get this resolved soon. It seems to me that the electronics on these 3rd gens can be a real headache. let us know when you get it fixed and what it was. I would think by now there would have been some ideas posted. Good luck.

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The flashing lightning bolt is a warning that there is an issue with your electronic throttle control system (the P2110 code you showed us). It sounds to me that your issue may be your TPS or IAC, Trupiano has basic information on the sensor. I don't know if they changed over to a drive-by-wire system with the 4.7L in 2008 or stayed with the cable. Fix that first and your P0172 & P0175 should clear.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/en...info-troubleshooting-guide.18583/#post-343200

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Unplug the wire harness to the TB and clean the contacts on the harness and TB. Make sure you get a good connection when hooking them back together. I had a problem with my 07 after cleaning the TB. It turned out I really had to push hard on the plug/harness to get good contact.

OP
OP
W

WiregrassMechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In case anyone else runs into this issue turned out to be the EGR and there was no EGR code

OP
OP
W

WiregrassMechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The flashing lightning bolt is a warning that there is an issue with your electronic throttle control system (the P2110 code you showed us). It sounds to me that your issue may be your TPS or IAC, Trupiano has basic information on the sensor. I don't know if they changed over to a drive-by-wire system with the 4.7L in 2008 or stayed with the cable. Fix that first and your P0172 & P0175 should clear.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/en...info-troubleshooting-guide.18583/#post-343200

The TPS and the IAC are both built into throttle body. I changed throttle body and it did not fix the issue.

OP
OP
W

WiregrassMechanic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Unplug the wire harness to the TB and clean the contacts on the harness and TB. Make sure you get a good connection when hooking them back together. I had a problem with my 07 after cleaning the TB. It turned out I really had to push hard on the plug/harness to get good contact.
Yea that was my first thought. I tried that and also used dialectic grease. Did not work. Also checked all wires including 5v reference.

The issue with these cars is they have splices to so many sensors. I ended up repairing and re-writing everything. (As posted above turned out to be bad EGR) Also to diagnose EGR I disconnected it where it goes into valve cover and upon removal the idle fixed itself (of course lighning bolt was still there because of it being disconnected but the idle was perfect) Customer ordered new EGR but based on it fixing idle pretty sure that is issue.