Liqui moly 5W-30. Not the additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, I have searched our forum top to bottom on this oil. I've read up on the additive liquid liqui moly, I don't want this to become a debate. I've read up on burla's Redline oil thread and what Molybdenum does for our Hemi ticks. I'm wondering how much molybdenum does liqui Moly 5W30 have? Has anyone on this forum used liqui Moly 5W30? If so, did your hemi tick go away? I've read up on using Redline, 80% success rate using it to get rid of the Hemi tick. It's has a high content of molybdenum. I don't have a problem using Redline, but I'm just really curious about liqui Moly 5W30. Since liqui moly is the creator of the additive, would the oil have a high content of molybdenum?

Last edited:

Hesabiggin111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
I'm curious also and even more curious why nobody's made any replies. Has anyone tried the liqui Molly 5W30 yet?

OP
OP
S

Snake15eyes1998

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm curious also and even more curious why nobody's made any replies. Has anyone tried the liqui Molly 5W30 yet?

Sense my post, iv done a ton of research on oils. This oil is good, just like any oil is good. Redline oil is good at masking the hemi tick, but it doesn't fix it. No oil is gonna " fix " the hemi tick. Your still a good candidate for lifter and cam failure even if you switch to redline. It takes away the tick, the sound, not the problem. Not gonna spend the money for Redline, just to mask a problem. Not gonna spend money on liquid Moly for the same result( if it delivers the same results) I will stick with my valvoline maxlife, full synthetic. Hearing that tick on start up for a few min. Helps remind me to save up for new lifters and a cam, or a new truck down the road. I also don't idle in place as long. I make sure to shut down my engine if I'm gonna idle for a long time. Drive my truck when needed, use my yaris to commute. At this point, oil is oil. Some better then others. But in the end. Its all gonna lubricate.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the few UOA's that are out there Liqui-moly basically has little to no Molybdenum in it so the name is kind of misleading. I only saw a few 5W30 ones out there and they had pretty much ZERO Moly. Some of the thicker grades had a little but not much. Being that both you guys don't have a 2009 or newer "Eagle" Hemi I would'nt worry about it too much one way or the other. If you want to go the extra mile and not spend Redline money get some Quaker State Ultimate Durability or Pennzoil Ultra Platinum and maybe dose it with a little Lubeguard Biotech. I recommend 5W30 because 99% of oil weight recommendations are based on EPA fuel mileage numbers and not engine longevity. Also the odds of a 2003-2008 Hemi having cam/lifter problems are non existent but I can understand the desire for a quieter engine. I can make no claims either way about the 4.7.
No I'm not an expert on anything but I have been thru the cam/lifter fiasco on my previous Ram and I liked the truck so much I bought another. I don't have any Hemi tick on my current Ram but I do run Redline 5W30 in it just for peace of mind.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Sense my post, iv done a ton of research on oils. This oil is good, just like any oil is good. Redline oil is good at masking the hemi tick, but it doesn't fix it. No oil is gonna " fix " the hemi tick. Your still a good candidate for lifter and cam failure even if you switch to redline. It takes away the tick, the sound, not the problem. Not gonna spend the money for Redline, just to mask a problem. Not gonna spend money on liquid Moly for the same result( if it delivers the same results) I will stick with my valvoline maxlife, full synthetic. Hearing that tick on start up for a few min. Helps remind me to save up for new lifters and a cam, or a new truck down the road. I also don't idle in place as long. I make sure to shut down my engine if I'm gonna idle for a long time. Drive my truck when needed, use my yaris to commute. At this point, oil is oil. Some better then others. But in the end. Its all gonna lubricate.

Are you sure you don't want to debate? If you changed your mind let me know because I can address what you say.

As for your question, oddly liqui moly oils have zero moly, I know it is crazy. Look up uoa's or voa's at BITOG, there are plenty.

And there are several types of moly, the moly in liqui moly is obsolete mos2, they now use oil soluble tri nuclear moly which is at a minimum just as effective but does not fall out of suspension. Have you read the lubegard thread?

This is their latest lineup molygen, as you see very low moly but some. I give you two, there are literally many many uoa's voa's liqui moly oil at bobs.

lm-molygen-5w40-200503_virgin_analysis_clean-jpg.23208

more liqui moly voa

inkedlm-5w40-191225_virgin_analysis-page-001_li-jpg.19503

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On the subject of the 8 qt oil change its better to have that extra 1/2 qt in the pan for pick up sake for the oil pump and oil level being higher for the Mains and rods, Ford now calls for a 9 qt oil fill on the 5.0 oil burner there fix was a longer dip stick w/ the hash marks higher up on the stick.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Will Redline 5W30 affect the warranty?

Yeah, you wont need one, ha.

So redline doesn't cert the spec, but to legally deny someone warranty the manu has to prove what you used caused the damage. Redline does recommend their oil for a replacement of both fca hemi specs 5.7 and 6.4. BTW the second most used oil on the forum mobil 1, also does NOT have fca specs.

As far as 5w30 in any brand, in theory you can have a warranty issue. If someone was that worried, you can always change the oil before bringing the truck to them.