Locking tailgate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Friday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just picked up a 2021 1500 Big Horn, and was wondering if there is a way to lock the tailgate? OEM or aftermarket.

Thanks!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
when you use the FOB to lock the doors

Try standing right at the tailgate & use the FOB to lock the doors

Did you hear the tailgate lock ? Try opening the tailgate without using the FOB

rixter99

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 SRW
Engine
Cummins i6.7
I'm currently trying to get a 2019 Classic Bed on my 2014...From my research on the latch wiring, I recall reading the following: (I don't think you'll hear the 'lock' sound on the 2019s like on the earlier models)

*** ('Best of memory' is in play...)

2019 Beds/Tailgates operate different - they are a latch/release type system by pressing the 'soft button' under the tailgate handle - in effect, always locked...Keep in mind, if there's no alarm or hard locking cover, the access panel on the backside, can be pulled and the latches manually released...This is how I release the 2019 tailgate currently, but it's not on the truck yet...

Pressing the button will cause the BCM to read the 'door lock' status - if it sees 'doors locked', the BCM ignores the 'release' signal; if it sees 'doors unlocked', the BCM will allow the 'release' signal...

Something keeps telling me the 'release' signal is also ignored while moving - just not 100% sure, but it makes sense - can't have the tailgate opening up driving down the road...

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My fob locks/unlocks my tailgate. There is no manual keyhole. As a matter of fact, those two buttons and the panic alarm are the only buttons on it.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just picked up a 2021 1500 Big Horn, and was wondering if there is a way to lock the tailgate? OEM or aftermarket.

Thanks!
As mentioned, the tailgate locks with the doors. Not sure about Big Horn trim level, but on the Laramie and both Limiteds I've owned, if you have the fob with you when you try to open the tailgate it will unlock when you touch it. And appear to not be locked. Try this, lock the truck using the fob, then put the fob out of range of the truck. Walk up and try to open the tailgate. It should be locked.

OP
OP
Joe Friday

Joe Friday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Thanks to all who responded. the tailgate indeed loocks with the vehicle door. There is no audible indication, but it does indeed lock.