HD Brakes/ Tailgate Not Locking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If you've got manual door locks and manual windows, you don't have a locking tailgate so far as I know.

And for what it's worth, when I close my tailgate with the truck running, get back in and put it in gear...it locks all doors and the tailgate. I don't have to fumble in my pocket to dig out a key to lock it. In other words...my life is a lot easier.

I get wishing things didn't change. I'd prefer to have a manual transmission in all my vehicles. But because of the push toward automated controls in everything, it's no longer an option and I don't really have a choice anymore. Complaining about it doesn't do anything.
Yes, I have a locking tailgate - electronic only, which I don't trust because I can't just push the fob tailgate button and walk away; it requires me to walk around behind the truck to double check if it's locked. But apparently, for whatever God-knows reason, they decided I'm not allowed to do it with the engine running and the door open. And all my vehicles have been manual, until this one. I could have bought another, but I just decided after 40 years of clutching I was tired of it.

3CUMMINS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 2019 2020
Engine
5.9 6.7HO 6.7
There was a recall on the tailgates opening at will late last year or earlier this year.
You should be able to look up the recalls and if and/or when they were done with your VIN.
I have a new one for the newer CTD's for 2019 - 2022 RAMS For the DEF system.
There is a Malfunction Indicator Lamp or MIL, that may malfunction and show that it needs serviced. It takes about 1.5 hours, give or take.
I am making a list and will check it twice to include the rest of the recalls sent before the BFT is out of hibernation. Easier than getting them done one at a time like the other truck....