Longhorn leather fading at 3,000 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fidus2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 3290 miles on my 2019 longhorn and the leather on the drivers seat already is losing its color

F627CB22-6C49-4AA2-9A35-5740A0DD77A9.jpeg

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 3290 miles on my 2019 longhorn and the leather on the drivers seat already is losing its color

View attachment 157226

Looks like wear. Be prepared for the dealer to push back.

Do you slide down and out of your seat when exiting?

2019 Ram Laramie Sport Package 4x4 CC
Billet Silver
5.7 eTorque-Level 1–3.92 anti-spin-33 gal -Air Suspension-4C NAV-Bed Utility Group-Trailer Brake-Under Seat Storage-Wheel 2 Wheel side steps

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I keep the seat towels on my Ram. Keep the seats looking new as long as possible.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I could see where the dealer would say its wear.

I had to fix a small scratch in my new Katzkin covers (happened while I was installing), picked up a leather fix kit from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XZQQZM) and custom mixed the color. After enough custom mixing, you cant tell where the scratch was anymore.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That looks a lot like typical wear from excessive sliding out but still, that’s the kind of wear you shouldn’t be seeing that soon in a brand new ******’ pickup. I know it’s a brand new but are you treating your leather with a good cleaner/conditioner? I’ve only had my new 18 for a year and I’ve cleaned and conditioned my seats quite a few times. Doesn’t take much to give them a good wipe down. Leather’s good, and it’s more durable than cloth or vinyl but it also comes with maintenance. Leather will last you a long time but you gotta keep it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since most vehicles leather is coated, you really only need to concentrate on keeping the dirt/dust off the surface. If there is none on the surface, it can "grind" into the leather and degrade it.

If you want to help along being able to slide in and out of the leather without harming it, you can look into a leather coating, like Gyeon Leather Coat, CQuartz Leather, etc.

I applied the Gyeon stuff to my Katzkin seats before putting them back in my truck. The leather feels a little "slicker", but not like you are going to slide around the truck. Should help minimize the wear and tear of getting in and out.

Also, OP, if you dont already have them and are finding yourself sliding down and out of the truck, consider running boards.

OP
OP
F

Fidus2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont slide in and out of the truck since i have the deployable steps. My other car is a 2018 acura Mdx which i already own a year and there is no wear on the seats at all and the interior color is exactly thesame. The wear is right next to the piping which i think causes it.

OP
OP
F

Fidus2005

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just expected more from a $62,000 truck. I already have a few kinks in it. My electronic parking break light is on and the abs module has to be replaced. And the stupid 12 inch screen is a pain the my ass i wish i went with the smaller screen.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just expected more from a $62,000 truck. I already have a few kinks in it. My electronic parking break light is on and the abs module has to be replaced. And the stupid 12 inch screen is a pain the my ass i wish i went with the smaller screen.

Damn, that sucks dude. I feel for ya bro, I’d be wantin’ to jerk a knot in somebody’s tail for sure. But as it’s been said, take that **** back to the dealer and use that warranty to make it right. I know it’s still a first-run pickup for that new body style but still.

jackham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That looks a lot like typical wear from excessive sliding out but still, that’s the kind of wear you shouldn’t be seeing that soon in a brand new ******’ pickup. I know it’s a brand new but are you treating your leather with a good cleaner/conditioner? I’ve only had my new 18 for a year and I’ve cleaned and conditioned my seats quite a few times. Doesn’t take much to give them a good wipe down. Leather’s good, and it’s more durable than cloth or vinyl but it also comes with maintenance. Leather will last you a long time but you gotta keep it up.

What product do you recommend to best protect your leather?

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What product do you recommend to best protect your leather?

Pretty much any good, name brand leather cleaner/conditioner will work. I use Meguires.

goldeneyee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn/Longhorn Crew Cab
Engine
HEMI
Your Longhorn is an expensive vehicle and the leather on the seat of a "NEW" truck with only 3,000 + miles on it should not degrade like this. I would go back to the dealer and have it corrected by ordering a new skin for the seat. If they want your future business I think they'll take your side. Good luck. A few years back I had an upholstery problem with an upgraded Silverado. The service manager was a little hesitant in replacing the leather seat back. I simply told him when I trade it in on my next new truck, he can explain it to the next potential Buyer. The seat got replaced........