Looking at moving into a 1500 from a F-150.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

Saber123316

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Took a look at a very low mile 2017 ram today. Had husky fur in the interior and the box was developing rust. Salesman walked out and I was getting back into my truck. Told him not interested.

The chevy 1500s love the look but the wax coated frame was the stopping point. Not interested in that garbage.

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just went through pretty much the exact same decision. You can find the thread I started maybe a page back.

I had a 2.7L EB F150 STX package. I really liked my F150. A lot. Especially with the 2.7 EB, that thing was VERY quick...off the line. I was debating whether I was going to buy out that truck at the end of my lease or switch over and buy a Ram. It was an extremely tough decision for me because I liked the F150 so much.

I ended up giving the Ram a try. 2 weeks ago, I bought a 2017 1500 Sport Night edition. 4x4 with the 5.7L 8spd 3.92 gear.

I mentioned that I really liked my F150...but I will say I LOVE my Ram. So far anyway. I kept hearing people say the ride quality is so much better, etc...and to be honest, even after test driving, I didn't really notice a big different in ride quality. 2 weeks in, my opinion has changed and I stand behind all those who said the ride quality is better. It is SO smooth compared to the F150. SO SMOOTH! And it feels like I'm driving a QUALITY truck. Not to bash on F150 because those are great too but the ride quality just makes the Ram seem so much more solid than the F150.

With that being said, there are things that I DO miss about my F150.
-Apple Car Play (IMO, WAYYYY better than Uconnect)
-The off the line speed (Yes, I miss how fast the F150 was off the line, but once the Hemi gets rolling, you REALLY feel that power in the engine)
-More cab space in the F150 (I had the super crew cab and also have the same w/ my Ram. The F150 was noticeably more roomy)
-Better MPG (Maybe I need to just break in the Ram a little more but I'm averaging 14mpg combined at the moment whereas I averaged 18-19mpg in the F150)

All in all, I am extremely happy with my purchase. Would I ever drive a Ford again? Yea, sure. I definitely won't cross the F150 off the list because it's a great truck. But at the moment, I couldn't be happier that I switched from Ford to Ram.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I agree with SALT, very well said.

I too, loved the power of my 3.5 ecoboost, but it was not able to get any better fuel economy (for me) than my current Ram gets. The economy is basically identical, hwy and city. The Ram is exponentially more comfortable, especially on 1000+ mile trips. Shoot, I was sore after just 200 miles in the F150.

For me, my decision came down to comfort, ride quality and interior, and the Ram exceeded my Ford in all of those areas.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
All those mentioning comfort in the Rams.... are the Rams that much better than the 3 North American competitors ??? On my build sheet it says heavy duty suspension. I have the black express and it's nothing fancy. My ride feels bumpy and a little on the rough side. Mind you when we're in the other vehicle (Infiniti SUV) it's really smooth ride compared to the ram.

Maybe the higher end trims have smoother suspensions......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Salt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
All those mentioning comfort in the Rams.... are the Rams that much better than the 3 North American competitors ??? On my build sheet it says heavy duty suspension. I have the black express and it's nothing fancy. My ride feels bumpy and a little on the rough side. Mind you when we're in the other vehicle (Infiniti SUV) it's really smooth ride compared to the ram.

I'm not sure if the higher end trims have a smoother suspension. And I've never driven an Infiniti SUV so I can compare ride quality to that. But my past few cars were
2015 F150
2012 Toyota Tundra
1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee

In comparing to those, the Ram is definitely a much smoother ride.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp

My Ram was the smoothest truck I had ever drove or rode in, that said it had the worst hauling capabilitys out of all the trucks I have ever had.
I fixed it though it nie rides like a truck and will haul with the best of them... lol

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I previously owned a 2013 Ram 1500 Hemi Bighorn (nice package) with 3.92 gears....loved it.

Traded for a 2015 2500 to tow our 5th wheel camper.....decided I'm too dammm old to tow any more campers.

Last Saturday, I bought a used 2017 Ram bighorn with 3.21 gears....ok but not as good as before with the 3.92s.

Before I bought, I drove the GMC and liked it, and then the F150 with the 3.5 EB...great low end power. Then I drove the Ram Hemi and decided that it was just a nicer overall truck...felt solid, good ride with rear coil springs, plus my experience was absolutely zero issues with the previous Rams. Decision made.

The F150 was a strong 2nd choice (GMC was out), but I understand that the aluminum body can only be fixed by certain folks, and I do know a few guys that had trouble with the turbos....life is already too complicated...

Last edited:

TarPaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport Black Edition 1500
Engine
Hemi V8
The choice is yours...

and I had the same dilemma...in my opinion, you cant beat the styling of the RAM...also, i like the sound of the Hemi...not the way it sounds, but the word "Hemi" is music to my ears..

Ammonia

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never owned a Chrysler product before and just went from a 2010 F150 STX with the 4.6 I bought it new and it was garage kept with 23k on the clock, Got 19,5 cash private party in 2 days. I saw my limited Ignition Orange Sport on the local Ram dealers lot and had to have it. No regrets. MSRP was 54,040. Drove off for 41,000. I have a Yukon Denali company vehicle and now hate driving it. This Ram is badass!

Fieldoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went from a 13 f150 platinum to a 17 ram longhorn with the "cowboy interior'. The platinum was/is a beautiful truck/interior. Hard to part with. Had the 5.0. Had an ecoboost for 4 months with the intercooler problems and dealer traded me into new 13 5.0 plat for $2500. Realize new engines in f150 have changed but between the 2 I had would not have an ecoboost as the coyote is awesome. That being said the longhorn interior is as nice and maybe a step up from my platinum. Have air suspension and would not go back as it is always level no matter what you do. Hemi and eight speed and 3.92's are past amazing. With ram discounts I would look for a higher end interior. Just my opinion. Good luck.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
In the last approx. 4 months I personally know two different Ford guys who sold their 2-3yr old F-150's and moved over to Ram.
Both were really unhappy with their Fords and now can't say enough good things about the Ram so far.
One got a Laramie and one got a Rebel.

Another guy I work with has an Eco-boost and absolutely hates it. Says it's in the shop more than on the road.
I've heard similar complaints about the newer Mustang as well.

I actually don't mind Ford in general. I just don't think they're making a very good product lately.
Maybe just going through a rough patch.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the ram isn't going to be faster than the ford. its so heavy.my 2012 f150 crew eco went 14.50's stock and 13.80's with a tune.but as far as driving my ram pulls harder top end than the ford.only 2 things i would point out is the 3.92 is a big seat of the pants differance than the 3.21 but is damn near dangerous on wet pavement.had a 14 and just taking off light throttle when wet like turning from a side street the tires would break loose.the second read the window sticker and try to get a transmission that says made in germany.just my opinion but i trust the german built import one better than the ones they build here.i have a 2016 express 4x4 with 3.21's now and really like it.a big horn would have been my first choice but the 26500.out the door on my truck sealed the deal.

rebelchief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I traded my 2 year old F150 for a Ram and I couldn't be happier.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my brother seriously looking at a Ram 1500 and he has been a Ford guy since he was born, this is exciting lol:crazy:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i traded my 11 in for my 16 last november. didn't even look at other brands. kind of regret that now.

misuracaf10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd say get a sport , check cars.com as there are $50,000 trucks for 35-40gs. I'd say sport for the hood, and the black projector headlights just look badass if you ask me. I have a 14 outdoorsman and I wish I got a sport for the headlights and tail light looking that much better imho. I like the 3.92s , never driven a truck with the 3.21, but you may want the 3.92 if you go up a tire size I'd get heavier tires. Also I'd get the leather interior as well. Something I regret not doing at the time. Rode in my buddies sport and wow I loved the seats in that. Never have had any experience in a 150 tho. Hope this helps!

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'd say get a sport , check cars.com as there are $50,000 trucks for 35-40gs. I'd say sport for the hood, and the black projector headlights just look badass if you ask me. I have a 14 outdoorsman and I wish I got a sport for the headlights and tail light looking that much better imho. I like the 3.92s , never driven a truck with the 3.21, but you may want the 3.92 if you go up a tire size I'd get heavier tires. Also I'd get the leather interior as well. Something I regret not doing at the time. Rode in my buddies sport and wow I loved the seats in that. Never have had any experience in a 150 tho. Hope this helps!

Sport hands down best looking truck. And they got 9" wide wheels to make it a little wider stretching the tire a little more. Leather I don't miss and put custom seat covers to protect my cloth seats. When I'm done with the truck seated will literally be brand new. Anyways, I have the 3:21 and I like them for me. I do straight highway and don't feel the need for bigger tires and the torque gains mentioned with 3:92

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After having owned 15 Fords (10 F150s, a Ranger and 4 mustangs), when I went looking for a new truck last week, I came home in a Ram. I drove a 17 F150 STX 5.0 crew cab, a 17 GMC Sierra Elevation 5.3 extended cab, and a 17 Ram Lone star 5.7 Crew cab.

My last F150 was a 2014 Tremor, which is a regular cab short bed 3.5 Ecoboost with 4.10 gears and full upgraded FX2 interior. After having owned a truck in the same configuration but with a 5.0 and 3.55 gears, I hated the ecoboost. The 5.0 was faster, pulled harder, and got better gas mileage. Both were tuned, the 5.0 running an 87 octane performance/tow tune, and the 3.5 with a 93 octane performance only tune, both from the same tuner. For what I like in a truck, the ecoboost just didn't do it for me. I don't tow much of anything (I've used a trailer probably 3 times in the last 5 years), so that aspect just isn't a necessity for me.

The GMC was nice, and I tried to make it work, but the dealership wasn't willing to work with me at all. I was on my way home from work the next day to take all of my stuff out of my truck and go buy the F150 when I pulled into the dodge dealership on a whim. I drove 3 of them, one with the 5.7 with 3.21 gears, one V6 (not intentionally, didn't notice till I took off and it felt like a gutless ****, and neither did the salesman), and one with the 5.7 with 3.92 gears. I ended up buying that one. It has the captains chairs with the full console, 8.4 unconnect with nav and Alpine system. The alpine system is one of the best factory systems I've heard. The only vehicle I've had that came close was a Hyyundai Genesis coupe with an Infinity system in it. I didn't opt for leather because it would have pushed me into a different trim that I didn't care for and I can always get Clazzio covers or Katskins covers later if I want.

The Ram is just more comfortable all around. The front seats feel bigger and more comfortable. The Back seat in the F150 is definitely bigger, but I don't plan to ride back there, and there's more than enough room for who ever does, so I'm not worried about that. As far as ride quality, there is no comparison between the 3. The ram is the smoothest riding truck I've ever sat in, and it's not even close. They definitely got the suspension right, as long as the reduced payload doesn't bother you. for me, I don't use my truck for work, it is my daily driver and makes the occasional run to home depot, but typically in the bed is just my golf clubs and fishing stuff. I had honestly never driven a ram before, and after my test drive, you see where I wound up.

The 5.0 in the F150 is very much comparable to the 5.7 as far as actual performance from the drivers seat. The only things I'm concerned with regarding the ram are the transmission horror stories (one of my good friends was a service manager at a local dodge dealer for a while) and the MDS. Nothing inherently wrong with the MDS, I haven't heard any horror stories about it, I'm just not a fan of the idea of the system, and it is just another complicated electrical system that could have problems down the road. since it can be shut off with the push of one button, I'm not overly concerned about it.

As for looks, I actually think the GMC is the best looking of the lot. I also like that HID headlights are standard on them. I cant for the life of me understand why Ford and Dodge cant follow suit on that. Hell, I don't understand why EVERY car cant follow suit on that. They are just far superior in regards to visibility at night than any halogen offering, and I would think you shouldn't have to buy the most expensive truck on the lot just to be able to see at night.

Just one man's perspective. After 22 years of Fords (with the exception of one Hyundai in the mix), I wound up with a Ram for the comfort and ride quality. Engines were a wash, price was close enough to not be much of a consideration (this ram was actually $2k more than the F150 I looked at), and options were similar with the exception of nav and the upgraded sound system.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm the odd man out.

I moved from an Ecoboost into a 3/4 ton 6.4. I did it for one reason, I needed more payload, and didn't want a diesel. I wasn't fond of the looks of the f250 with the 6.2 So I went with Ram.
Now, Had I decided to stay in the 1/2 ton category, then It would still be an ecoboost, Hands down. I had a 16 ram 1500 with the 5.7 for 2 days as a rental when my work truck was unavailable and I sure liked it, but it' was all top end, at least to me. For me the beauty of the ecoboost was cruising at 70 mph in 6th gear at about 1700 RPMS and simply giving it a bit more throttle and feeling it just start pushing you up the hills, no need to gear down. The new ones are just phenomenal with 470 pounds of torque and 10 speed..IF I was sticking with a 1/2 ton, I would look no where else. BUT, I sure like my 2500 6.4!