Looking for a 5 Channel amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking for a new 5 Channel amp I drive a 2022 Ram 1500 Laramie. I have added 4 Kicker KSS6504 KSS650 6x9" Component System with 1" tweeters 4-Ohm in the four doors, a set of 3" kicker in the dash, and a 12 infinity sub all which sound simply amazing but lacks power. I have a Boss 3700 5 channel the is just not cutting it. I need more power. If you guy have any suggestions I would appreciate any input. I have been looking at Pioneer DX975 , Rockford Fosgate P1000x5. Kicker 46CXA6605 Car Audio 5. Any ideas or comments?

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Well for starters, you should list the RMS wattage for each of your speakers and your sub, that would be a good starting point. Are your front 6x9 and 3 and 1/2 wired in parallel like they were from factory? Are you dead set on a 5 channel amp? Are you working with the factory head unit or an aftermarket? Using an AMP pro or a DSP or how have you got your system set up?

OP
OP
Flynight

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My speaker are Kicker KSS 690 rated at 300 peak and 150 RMS. The sub is an Infinity 1200 S rated at 1000 peak 250 RMS. They are wired in parallel and I am using the factory head unit. I would like to keep using a 5 channel due to cost and space. Between the amp and sub I have already lost all of my back under floor storage area.

Last edited:

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
Okay there's no actual Dino results on that amp that I can find but I do see Dino results on its big brother and as a typical boss product, it's extremely overrated which would explain why you seem to think it doesn't have the power for your current setup. I would guess that you are 100% right. That amp is putting out nowhere's near what it's rated at RMS. It's Big brother tested at about 30 to 40% of the output of its RMS ratings. Exactly why boss is not really knowing as a top audio brand. If you wanted a really simple install and something that would give you excellent sound I would suggest grabbing a kicker key 100x4 and their mono amp the kicker key 500x1. Both of these amps are the exact same size and to give you an idea of how small they are compared to your current amp You could fit four of these in a smaller footprint than where your current amp is. The speakers you have are good for 15 to 150 watts RMS that little kicker amp will put out 100 by 4 RMS. And the key 500x1 would be more than enough to power your current sub meaning you're going to be nowhere near clipping on it and have a little bit of headroom if you wanted to upgrade the sub in the future. These kicker amps actually have a sort of built-in DSP, you actually set them up put a microphone that comes with them inside your cab and let it play a pink noise track and it will set all the settings in the amp for you, then you just adjust the gains a little bit and you're good to go.

If you really wanted to stick to a 5 channel. I would look at the Kenwood excelon, it's an awesome little five channel amp it's not very large. You can also get it in the marine version which would be silver instead of black and is water resistant and actually that marine version is usually 20 or $30 cheaper at most places.

OP
OP
Flynight

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I finally finished up with the installation of the upgrade audio in my new 2022 Ram Laramie. I decided to go with the Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000 5 channel. It set me back about $ 650 but WOW !!!! It fit easily under the drivers seat. I could not be happier. AMAZING sound, deep rich bass, clear crisp sound, great volume.