Looking for a New 2019-20 ram 2500 6.4L

Get a new Ram 2500 or keep the Fuel hog 16 3500 Limited DRW

• Keep 3500 DRW and pay the outladish price for Diesel

• Sell and Purchase a New 2500 6.4L with all the cool stuff

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
SO I have my Beloved 2016 Ram 3500 and I love the truck in the warm weather. BUT I have come to realize that even with keeping it plug in in the winter and Grill cover I DO TO MUCH SHORT DISTANCE Driving. Truck was constantly in re-gen when I had all the DEF Stuff on it. Now with it gone it runs way cooler in the warm weather but has been 9-10 in cold. Anything below 32* and Ya it never comes up to temp.

SO Im considering a 2019-2020 Ram 2500 so I can still put my Boss V-plow on it. (its like new and was $10,000 with Taxs and install)
My question is this I have found a few trucks with the off Road package witch I like what I dont like is the 4.10 rear gears in every dang one of them. Do they offer it with the 3.73 thats in all the other trucks? I had a Power Wagon so I know with the 4.10 gears the things going to get like 12-14mph max. I drove one the other day with the 3.73 and according to the lie o meter in the dash it was doing really well on a 30min. Loop I went on with the sales guy. Some stop and go and some open 55mph and a short section on the Freeway. When I got back I checked the average and it was showing 18.6 witch I know is not right but still should be some place around 17 hand calculated.

I dont want the 12" Screen and I have found a few trucks I really like but I just have this feeling Im not going to like the 4.10 gears for the type driving Im doing.

If some can Chime in with what your average MPG has been with the 3.73 and 4.10 Unloaded mixed loop it would really helpful

Please advise
thank you

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
I personally love my 4.10 but to each their own. If you don’t need so much truck and the diesel is more nuisance than it’s worth then you’ll definitely be happy with a 6.4. Funny you say you can’t find one without 4.20 because when looking for mine I felt like I got lucky finding one with 4.10. Might be related to my area but regardless, good luck finding one with everything you want on it. If not, maybe you can put in an order, is that an option for you?

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will love the 2020 2500 with the 6.4 and 8 speed tranny. It's a joy to drive. I ordered mine so this way I could get just what I wanted on it. Ordering takes about 6-8 weeks. Not too bad. Good luck with your decision.

Red

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
My 2500 with 6.4 never managed over 12mpg in town with 3.73 gears. However, I loved that truck! Wish I still had it some days.
IMG_20180808_183640.jpg

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SO I have my Beloved 2016 Ram 3500 and I love the truck in the warm weather. BUT I have come to realize that even with keeping it plug in in the winter and Grill cover I DO TO MUCH SHORT DISTANCE Driving. Truck was constantly in re-gen when I had all the DEF Stuff on it. Now with it gone it runs way cooler in the warm weather but has been 9-10 in cold. Anything below 32* and Ya it never comes up to temp.

SO Im considering a 2019-2020 Ram 2500 so I can still put my Boss V-plow on it. (its like new and was $10,000 with Taxs and install)
My question is this I have found a few trucks with the off Road package witch I like what I dont like is the 4.10 rear gears in every dang one of them. Do they offer it with the 3.73 thats in all the other trucks? I had a Power Wagon so I know with the 4.10 gears the things going to get like 12-14mph max. I drove one the other day with the 3.73 and according to the lie o meter in the dash it was doing really well on a 30min. Loop I went on with the sales guy. Some stop and go and some open 55mph and a short section on the Freeway. When I got back I checked the average and it was showing 18.6 witch I know is not right but still should be some place around 17 hand calculated.

I dont want the 12" Screen and I have found a few trucks I really like but I just have this feeling Im not going to like the 4.10 gears for the type driving Im doing.

If some can Chime in with what your average MPG has been with the 3.73 and 4.10 Unloaded mixed loop it would really helpful

Please advise
thank you

My mixed commute to work and back, 110 miles a day, and get between 14-17, average right now 15.1.

Crew Cab, 4x4, stock, 4.10

2400 miles, so still breaking in.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What do you tow/haul with the truck? That would be my deciding factor on engine and payload capacity (2500/3500)

Going from a DRW 3500 to a 2500 is a big hit in payload and towing capability and stability.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The heaviest thing I tow is a 24 foot Enclosed trailer with my 87 Buick GN In it. An thats all of 2-3 times per year. Im guessing that total weight on it is around 11,000 with all the tools Generator car and spares.
I also haul a Horse trailer with 2 good Size horses about 6-10 times a year. Im guessing the total weight with the 2 and the trailer is around 5000lbs. 95% of the time im Unloaded just running to and from sign and install jobs or fetching supplies. Truck has a cap on it for that reason also. I love the power but with Diesel at $2.89 and Gas at 2.09-2.29 just seems I might be better off with a gas truck?

When I purchased this truck I was planing to haul a HUGE Mud truck around but I hurt my Back and that deal went south and it all go t sold. Hence Why I went as big as I could 2 years ago. Trucks bad ass looking for sure and Since I deleted it its got loads of power even in the tow tune I run most of the time.

I added some photos to this as well.

20180216_160641.jpg

20190809_210410[5552].jpg

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My 2500 with 6.4 never managed over 12mpg in town with 3.73 gears. However, I loved that truck! Wish I still had it some days.
View attachment 197572
Ya I had a 16 Power wagon I traded in on the 3500 it got Crap for mileage even if I drove it like an old man it still only averaged like 12 as well. I have heard the change to the 8 speed Auto made a big diff. in mileage though. Even the sales guy at our local Dealer said people are getting close to the same as the Cummins with them unloaded now. But I want to know what people WHO ACTUALLY Have them are getting and how they liked them. I love the power Wagon but it was not fun filling it up every other day.

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My mixed commute to work and back, 110 miles a day, and get between 14-17, average right now 15.1.

Crew Cab, 4x4, stock, 4.10

2400 miles, so still breaking in.

That is what I kinda Figured the 4.10's would be, its a great gear for towing but not so much for daily drive. The 3.73's I would think will do better with the 8 speed. some where in the 17-18 mpg range??? Anyone have one that can chime in and say for sure?

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT AND INFO Very much appreciated

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I personally love my 4.10 but to each their own. If you don’t need so much truck and the diesel is more nuisance than it’s worth then you’ll definitely be happy with a 6.4. Funny you say you can’t find one without 4.20 because when looking for mine I felt like I got lucky finding one with 4.10. Might be related to my area but regardless, good luck finding one with everything you want on it. If not, maybe you can put in an order, is that an option for you?

Ya I dont feel I need or want the 4.10's the 3.73's should provide way better mileage, We are in a rural area not many stops and 55-60 is the average speed. Just very hilly in areas. My wife has a tundra (Stupid truck honestly under powered and HUGE 4.30 Gears) Cant get better than 15 out of it. But she "Needs it to pull the horses" lol. I hate it and its not a real truck.

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The difference between the two gears is basically 10% , taking a 12 mpg truck to 13 mpg just by the math. By your description, you do tow with it occasionally, live in a hilly area, and use it to plow snow. I dont think you would mind the 4.10's for the overall use
That might be true but the 95% of the time its unloaded and just running for supplies for our company is the issue. Non of it is far its all 20-30 min drives but its all at 55-70mph. I dont know I have been looking and the only ones I really like are in the $60,???? and up range. Ive been spoiled with my Limited 3500 and all the really cool options are only being found on the Loaded high end trucks. Found one with most of them but no front Camera and no surround for trailer park (2 things I think would be really sweet to have) for a great price, So Im on the fence still. Id have to sell my truck my self (HUGE PIA) to get what its really worth with all the custom things, that means cleaning out the savings for DP. (Not a big deal) I drove one so far had the 4.10's and went well stopped good but was missing a lot of the things i want so I left. (Only one on the lot at the closest dealer to me) So Im still looking to find one with the 3.73 to compare it to.
So Ya Im indecisive as heck right now.
The only thing I plow is our 1/4 mile driveway and some times my neighbors if Im in a good mood about it lol. So its not like Im out plowing for $$ or any thing. Its a tuff Decision. Love the truck I have now just dont like washing it do to the shear size of it and it doesnt fit in any auto washes.
Im rambling because I keep weighing the pros and cons over and over again. I was just hopping for some in site with people that have them. OH! DIAL A Shift kinda bugs me to lol. Would so rather have a normal shifter.

DarthMegaHD

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4 MegaCab 4x4 Black Edition
That might be true but the 95% of the time its unloaded and just running for supplies for our company is the issue. Non of it is far its all 20-30 min drives but its all at 55-70mph. I dont know I have been looking and the only ones I really like are in the $60,???? and up range. Ive been spoiled with my Limited 3500 and all the really cool options are only being found on the Loaded high end trucks. Found one with most of them but no front Camera and no surround for trailer park (2 things I think would be really sweet to have) for a great price, So Im on the fence still. Id have to sell my truck my self (HUGE PIA) to get what its really worth with all the custom things, that means cleaning out the savings for DP. (Not a big deal) I drove one so far had the 4.10's and went well stopped good but was missing a lot of the things i want so I left. (Only one on the lot at the closest dealer to me) So Im still looking to find one with the 3.73 to compare it to.
So Ya Im indecisive as heck right now.
The only thing I plow is our 1/4 mile driveway and some times my neighbors if Im in a good mood about it lol. So its not like Im out plowing for $$ or any thing. Its a tuff Decision. Love the truck I have now just dont like washing it do to the shear size of it and it doesnt fit in any auto washes.
Im rambling because I keep weighing the pros and cons over and over again. I was just hopping for some in site with people that have them. OH! DIAL A Shift kinda bugs me to lol. Would so rather have a normal shifter.
Sounds like your next truck will be pretty much the same size so that washing argument is moot

opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went from a 16 with 3.73 to a 19 with 4.10.

I’m glad I did because when I pull something, it’s heavy. But the biggest change is the transmission. I probably would have been happy with the 3.73 and the 8 speed, but 4.10 increased my towing capabilities.

As for gas mileage, not sure sure you’ll see enough of a different. 70mph is pulling right around 1900 rpm. I can’t remember what the 3.73 ran, I want to say 1400 or 1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

928dennis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 3500 4 wheel drive crew cab with 4:10 gears. Love it. I have got 17.6 mpg on a long road trip before headers. Got 18.4 with headers but feel there is alittle more there with some recent changes. You know I have checked it by hand twice now and come within 2/10 both times from what the computer says. So who knows? Will be taking a 1000 mile trip next week and will see if more is there.

PCT

2019 2500 6.4
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya I dont feel I need or want the 4.10's the 3.73's should provide way better mileage, We are in a rural area not many stops and 55-60 is the average speed. Just very hilly in areas. My wife has a tundra (Stupid truck honestly under powered and HUGE 4.30 Gears) Cant get better than 15 out of it. But she "Needs it to pull the horses" lol. I hate it and its not a real truck.

I'd never think I would say this, especially have a 4.7 w/ 3.55. 4.10 do seem a bit high unloaded. Haven't towed yet.

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Sounds like your next truck will be pretty much the same size so that washing argument is moot
Single rear wheel fits threw the auto wash and touch free as well Dually doesnt fit in either one. So hence the change to single wheel plus better fuel mileage.

OP
OP
S

Superb Decalscom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have a 19 3500 4 wheel drive crew cab with 4:10 gears. Love it. I have got 17.6 mpg on a long road trip before headers. Got 18.4 with headers but feel there is alittle more there with some recent changes. You know I have checked it by hand twice now and come within 2/10 both times from what the computer says. So who knows? Will be taking a 1000 mile trip next week and will see if more is there.
3500 with a gas 6.4L engine? I have not seen one they are all diesels around here.
Have you tuned it for the headers? What Headers did you use?