Looking for an Upgraded Trans Cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to stop by a salvage yard tomorrow and see if they have anything. Probably not but i'll just check.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Im pretty sure you can get an aluminum radiator from summit as a direct replacement and should run a little cooler, that being said I am also possitive that after the truck reads a cooler operating temp than 170ish it can throw a code.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
i run a normal 203 tstat due to the crazy cold temps up here. i couldnt pull a 4000lb boat 75 mph without it starting to overheat (granted there was a hard crosswind). I slowed to 70mph and was able to keep the temp steady at 230.

Maybe i'll switch to the 180 tstat after this winter

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
One of the reasons I got a 180 tstat was because i tow a boat, now it barely sniffs 200 degrees under heavy load. Following your lead Teach, my next mod will be a tranny cooler and am curious which one you choose.. and thanks all for doing the legwork lookin for best prices:birgits_tiredcoffee

OP
OP
O
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One of the reasons I got a 180 tstat was because i tow a boat, now it barely sniffs 200 degrees under heavy load. Following your lead Teach, my next mod will be a tranny cooler and am curious which one you choose.. and thanks all for doing the legwork lookin for best prices:birgits_tiredcoffee

Lol, no problem on the legwork. I needed something to do to take my mind off that Phillies game last night.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
....crazy game last night too.. I actually walked away from the tv when we gave up the run to tie the game near the end...I thought "oh no, extra innings", I always stress over that..

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I changed mine last year. Went to the dealer and was told not in stock, costs $263. Ordered online for $170. No negetive issues.
dsc00331web.jpg

Last edited:

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
When I ordered mine from the dealer, I think they said they had 2 in the country ready for shipping.... Chefred Im suprised you dont have one already... or that you didn't swipe the one off of chris's truck.

chefred112

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 QC 2wd
Engine
392 Hemi
o dang Ryan..I totally dint think about that when he asked me if i needed something..

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I just installed an active trans cooler in the rear, above the axle. all new plumbing, and secure mount to bottom of bed. The cooler will clear full axle articulation, and is clear if the drive shaft snaps.

Pictures will follow later.

This freed up space in the front, for the real project. I'm going to swap out the stock radiator for an after market alum radiator.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed an active trans cooler in the rear, above the axle. all new plumbing, and secure mount to bottom of bed. The cooler will clear full axle articulation, and is clear if the drive shaft snaps.

This freed up space in the front, for the real project. I'm going to swap out the stock radiator for an after market alum radiator.

Sounds cool, cannot wait to see some pics.

Also, Welcome to RF

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi

X2 we need pics and welcome

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
here is the connections to the transmission. note the heat covering on one of the lines. the other line is steel braid.

TransHose2.jpg

Here you can see the steel braid line better. I had to go steel cause it comes close to one of the header pipes.

TransHose1.jpg

In this picture you can see where the 1ft long steel braid line joins a regular braided line. also the heat coved line. these two lines are placed over and on top of the factory exhaust heat shield. Cheffing is eliminated by securing the lines to the bottom of the cab floor, and the thick heat covering.

routeHose1.jpg

The cooler is mounted above the rear axle.

rear_TransCooler2.jpg

rear_TransCooler1.jpg

I'm not completely done yet. I want to replace that cooler with one that had NTP or DASH - fittings.