Looking for tire recommendations....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am quite happy with my Nokian Rotiva AT plus.

I got then in one profile taller (34"), they are aboit aggressive a tread as the KO2's (tread void ratio), but are way quieter, smoother riding, cheaper, and have a less aggressive sidewall.

They are made in viking land where they have to deal with weird temperature variances, sharp rocks, rain, snow/ice.

The Aramid sidewalls are nice for a smooth ride, yet very durable.

The only tires I recommend you NOT get are MTs of any sort, KO2s, Duratracs...they are all way too aggressive/ noisy/harsh for a 2wd street queen....everything else you will find plenty of people love their tire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
texan279

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for the responses, much appreciated. I am at Discount Tire now. First off, the SRA's have 4/32" tread left after just over 22k miles...trash. I am having the Yokohama YK-HTX's put on. Yokohama's have a $70 and a $50 rebate on them and Michelin $50 rebate. Yokohama's are $42 less than the Michelin's per tire. Almost pulled the trigger on the Michelin's, but compared the two through the Discount Tire website and both have 70k mile warranty, Discount has the Yokohama's slightly better rated on handling and a little less rated on comfort. Their website also shows Yokohama's stop 18' shorter in rain and 9' shorter in dry conditions than the Michelin. Thanks again to everyone for their advice and opinions!

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am quite happy with my Nokian Rotiva AT plus.

I got then in one profile taller (34"), they are aboit aggressive a tread as the KO2's (tread void ratio), but are way quieter, smoother riding, cheaper, and have a less aggressive sidewall.

They are made in viking land where they have to deal with weird temperature variances, sharp rocks, rain, snow/ice.

The Aramid sidewalls are nice for a smooth ride, yet very durable.

The only tires I recommend you NOT get are MTs of any sort, KO2s, Duratracs...they are all way too aggressive/ noisy/harsh for a 2wd street queen....everything else you will find plenty of people love their tire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

those are a nice looking tire with some attitude that many of seem to desire, even if we don't offroad. I looked at the Michelin's when I happened to be at Canadian Tire today. I'm sure they are as practical as hell but..boring;)

HM_SanDiego

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro/Laser Blue CC Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been curious about the Pirellis. They make very good motorbike tires but usually more expensive than options. But it seems compared to the price of KO2 and Nitto Terra Grapplers at my usual go to tire store, they are pretty much in line with them.

One thing I've noticed with the Nito's and the KO2's is they don't show a mileage rating on them, at least on the site I go to. haven't figured out whey but i'd definitely if considering when the time comes. On the face of it, that's a concern.

Nittos and BFGs don’t list a mileage rating, because they don’t have or offer a mileage warranty like some others do. They are not alone in this regard - some tires have mileage warranties, and some don’t, and this could be from the same manufacturer.

I too will be looking into new street truck tires (in my case 285-45-r22’s for my 2018 Ram ccsb Sport 2wd) next year some time, and would strongly consider the Michelin Defenders and the Continental cross Contact LX20 - both offer 70,000 mile warranties - the Continental tires are about $250 less for a set of 4 @discounttire.

The Cooper Discoverer HTP’s & SRX’s look decent and fall into the same category as the Michelin’s and the Continentals.

I have a buddy who just replaced his original Bridgestones, on his GMC Tahoe, at about 80,000 miles, and they still looked and rode great, so that is something to look into as well. The Duellers are about the same money as the Michelin’s, and the Bridgestones come with an 80,000 mile warranty, and based on my buddies experience, totally worth strong consideration.

I have had Toyo and Yokohama tires on previous trucks and cars - in my experience, both are softer compounds offering a quiet and comfortable ride, but, wear quickly.

So, my list of tires to consider for my truck - in no particular order:

- 285-45-R22 for my 2018 Ram ccsb Sport 2wd

A) Michelin Defender LTX MS = $258ea / $1032 for 4 / 70,000 mile warranty

B) Continental Cross Contact LX20 = $200ea / $800 for 4 / 70,000 mile warranty

C & D) Cooper HTP’s or SRX’s =
- HTP’s $199ea / $796 for 4 / 65,000 mile warranty
- SRX’s $210ea / $840 for 4 / 70,000 mile warranty

E) Bridgestone DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS = $264ea / $1056 for 4 / 80,000 mile warranty

I have purchased Goodyear tires once before as replacement tires, happened to be the best option for a former truck of mine (Wranglers for my 2005 Ram QC Dually) - I wasn’t happy with how quickly they wore.

One more I found possibly to consider for a 2wd street truck are the GOODYEAR WRANGLER FORTITUDE HT’s = $209ea / $836 for 4 / 65,000 mile warranty, but again, not sure I would be too serious about these, based on my previous experience with the Wranglers.

I didn’t include the Falken tires in the same category, as their tire, Ziex STZ05, only comes with a 50,000 mile warranty

—> So to the OP - food for thought for your future tire purchase, obviously in the size for your truck.

Any feedback the above tires that Ian considering would be appreciated.

swexlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Michelins were $1207 all in, mounted, balanced, etc out the door at NTB in Delaware. Not really a bad price (at least compared to the Pirellis on my Viper, LOL!). Worth it.

But the way, when I have to replace the Pirelli Corsas on the Viper in a couple years, I'll be going back to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Will have to go down to 345s in the rear, but the Corsas aren't being made anymore in Viper sizes.

IMO opinion, Michelin makes the best tire out there. To the OP - go with the Defenders. You'll thank me later!

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Wondering if anyone can suggest from experience a good road/street tire for my '17 crew cab Lone Star. The SRA's are trash....just hit 22000 miles and they look horrible. I live in Houston, do a lot of highway driving, to and from work 30 miles each way. Looking for good traction in the rain. I still have the stock wheels so I will be using stock size. It's a 2wd so I don't offroad, drive in mud, etc. Live in Houston so no,snow. I would really prefer a street tire, but not opposed to an AT or something similar as long as its nothing with crazy aggressive tread, too loud, and has good traction on wet roads. Trying to keep as close to a "stock" look as possible. Thanks in advance!
Michelin Defender. The best I know of.

Tracy in IL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 diesel
My '17 came from California and had straight summer tires on it. I did a lot of research on Tire Rack. First of all, I stayed with "P" series vx "LT". Cheaper, lighter, better gas mileage. Unless you're gonna do serious hauling or off-road, no need to get LT tires. My criteria were good wet, snow, and dry traction, good breaking, QUIET, and good reviews. The Firestone AT line was top ranked, but just behind was the Yokohama Geolander AT series, and they were $35 /tire cheaper than the Firestone. So far at 10k and two winters, I really like them. AT this point I wish I"d upsized to the P285 (33") size, which was an option for the Rebel. Wouldnt' have affected my warranty. Will upsize next time.

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering if anyone can suggest from experience a good road/street tire for my '17 crew cab Lone Star. The SRA's are trash....just hit 22000 miles and they look horrible. I live in Houston, do a lot of highway driving, to and from work 30 miles each way. Looking for good traction in the rain. I still have the stock wheels so I will be using stock size. It's a 2wd so I don't offroad, drive in mud, etc. Live in Houston so no,snow. I would really prefer a street tire, but not opposed to an AT or something similar as long as its nothing with crazy aggressive tread, too loud, and has good traction on wet roads. Trying to keep as close to a "stock" look as possible. Thanks in advance!
Have a 17 Crew Cab 4X4. Run BDG Rugged Terrain tires. Good street tire, superb in the rain, good gas mileage - 21 on highway at 70 most all the time, 17 in city - Had Goodyears - trash crap - then tried Falkens, forget which tread, but did not like their ride, so went to stock size BFG's. 14K miles on them would not have anything else. good luck..

pjs386

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7

johnem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Take a look at the Michelins in your size ... Might be a lil pricier, but they are well worth it ... Just read the reviews on Tire Rack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Michelin Defender XLT. Worst tires that I can remember having. My Ram 1500 rode great untill I put them on. 12,000 miles, four balancings, three different shops later, still have vibration.

ctrevino8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Hydro Blue Sport
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm in The Woodlands, just north of Houston and do about 120 miles a day of highway driving. I have had Michelin Defenders on my last 4 RAMs and have nothing but good to say about them. They are much smoother and quieter than the stock Good year junk.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haven't replaced the factory tires on my truck yet, but Michelin Defenders are a great all around tire. A little pricy, but you get what you pay for.
Personally, I'm going to be putting Pirelli Scorpion Verdes all the way around. From what I understand, they offer incredible handling, and have one of the highest speed ratings available for our trucks from discount tire

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Those are not a bad looking tire for being about thirty bucks cheaper per tire than the Michelin’s on tire rack but, according to them, the Defenders have about as good’a rating as you can find. I sure love mine. Well worth the money. I prolly woulda considered those Pirelli’s if I knew they existed but, I don’t regret my purchase of the Michelin’s.
Pirelli’s-
d32a43553d6a958874cfe163edd94063.jpg
Michelin’s-
4c8a4c1fa4e0929bf43e47cb1160e8b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stacey Power

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
I went through a lot of tires on my last truck, last set were Nittos, lasted the longest and handled great!

MikeBig65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7

MikeBig65

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 6.7
Nexen Roadian. 10 ply AT tire. I ran these on my 1500 and would get over 50k miles on them.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those are not a bad looking tire for being about thirty bucks cheaper per tire than the Michelin’s on tire rack but, according to them, the Defenders have about as good’a rating as you can find. I sure love mine. Well worth the money. I prolly woulda considered those Pirelli’s if I knew they existed but, I don’t regret my purchase of the Michelin’s.
Pirelli’s-
d32a43553d6a958874cfe163edd94063.jpg
Michelin’s-
4c8a4c1fa4e0929bf43e47cb1160e8b3.jpg

Great information!
I have no doubt in my mind that the Michelins are great all around tires. I had them on my old Dakota, my old kia soul, and my work van. For average, everyday driving, its pretty hard to beat them.
I'm considering the Pirellis because of the speed rating, which the Michelins fall a little short of.
Ive also got my eyes on some Toyo Proxes STIII's. 305/50 R20 120V. Theyre affordable, rated for 149mph (which i have no intention of ever hitting [emoji6]), have an aggressive tread, and are wide as hell (while still fitting on my factory 20's). It sacrifices some ride quality with shorter sidewalls, and probably won't last as long as Michelins.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm considering the Pirellis because of the speed rating, which the Michelins fall a little short of.

Like, how much?...lol. My new 2018 Limited 1500 falls on its face at 108-109ish. I never even looked at the speed rating on my Michelin’s.

Ive also got my eyes on some Toyo Proxes STIII's. 305/50 R20 120V. Theyre affordable, rated for 149mph (which i have no intention of ever hitting [emoji6]), have an aggressive tread, and are wide as hell (while still fitting on my factory 20's). It sacrifices some ride quality with shorter sidewalls, and probably won't last as long as Michelins.

I wouldn’t mind having a little bit wider tire but I don’t wanna have to go down in section height or overall diameter to get it.

But how do those 305’s handle tread patch contact on the 20’s? They’re a 9 inch wide rim so I wouldn’t think you’d have to get too crazy with air pressures.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like, how much?...lol. My new 2018 Limited 1500 falls on its face at 108-109ish. I never even looked at the speed rating on my Michelin’s.

I wouldn’t mind having a little bit wider tire but I don’t wanna have to go down in section height or overall diameter to get it.

But how do those 305’s handle tread patch contact on the 20’s? They’re a 9 inch wide rim so I wouldn’t think you’d have to get too crazy with air pressures.

The standard michelins (275/60 R20 115T) are "only" rated for 118mph, which is a non issue if you dont remove the speed governor in your truck.

That being said, Michelin does offer the Defenders in various other sizes that will fit our truck's original rims, without sacrificing any of the sidewall. I think the biggest Michelin you can get without swapping rims is a 295/60 R20 126R, which is actually rated for a lower 106mph.

As for running 305's on a 9 inch rim, it's pretty tight. I dont think it would be possible to go any wider than that at all. At least not without sacrificing safety, handling, or otherwise. Actually, now that im thinking about it, it's possible that even 305's might be a little much. I might need to consider going with something a little less wide, because I really want to maintain handling abilities while keeping the original rims

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering if anyone can suggest from experience a good road/street tire for my '17 crew cab Lone Star. The SRA's are trash....just hit 22000 miles and they look horrible. I live in Houston, do a lot of highway driving, to and from work 30 miles each way. Looking for good traction in the rain. I still have the stock wheels so I will be using stock size. It's a 2wd so I don't offroad, drive in mud, etc. Live in Houston so no,snow. I would really prefer a street tire,
20”. Bridgestone Dueler
I get great mileage out of them
Have them in E rated and P series
2009 and (2015 Ecodiesel)

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The standard michelins (275/60 R20 115T) are "only" rated for 118mph, which is a non issue if you dont remove the speed governor in your truck.

That being said, Michelin does offer the Defenders in various other sizes that will fit our truck's original rims, without sacrificing any of the sidewall. I think the biggest Michelin you can get without swapping rims is a 295/60 R20 126R, which is actually rated for a lower 106mph.
I wouldn’t be able to remove the speed governor on my truck anyways unless I bought a whole new unlocked PCM that could be flash-tuned with a tuner so my Michelin’s serve me well I spose. Besides, even tho my truck handles 108 mph just fine, and even though I know it’s much more capable of faster but, I wouldn’t wanna go much faster than that anyways. Back in the days of not having to worry about buying unlocked computers, the fastest I had my old 08 up to was about a 120 and that was a bit much for me. As I said, my new truck handles the higher speeds much better than my old truck but even 108 feels to me like right on the edge of being too much. lol.

As for running 305's on a 9 inch rim, it's pretty tight. I dont think it would be possible to go any wider than that at all. At least not without sacrificing safety, handling, or otherwise. Actually, now that im thinking about it, it's possible that even 305's might be a little much. I might need to consider going with something a little less wide, because I really want to maintain handling abilities while keeping the original rims

But yeah, I was just wondering what pressures you run to maintain full tread patch contact even though the 305’s are only a little over an inch wider.

The only reason I was asking was because on my old 98 ram I once had, I was running a 285/75/16 on the stock 16 x 7 wheels when the factory tires for that truck was only a 245/75/16. Those were only just a little over an inch and a half wider than the OEM tire size but it was enough that I had to run a lot less tire pressure in my back tires in order to get the tread patch to make full contact with the road because it pulled in the side walls so much.