Looking for tire recommendations....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wouldn’t be able to remove the speed governor on my truck anyways unless I bought a whole new unlocked PCM that could be flash-tuned with a tuner so my Michelin’s serve me well I spose. Besides, even tho my truck handles 108 mph just fine, and even though I know it’s much more capable of faster but, I wouldn’t wanna go much faster than that anyways. Back in the days of not having to worry about buying unlocked computers, the fastest I had my old 08 up to was about a 120 and that was a bit much for me. As I said, my new truck handles the higher speeds much better than my old truck but even 108 feels to me like right on the edge of being too much. lol.

But yeah, I was just wondering what pressures you run to maintain full tread patch contact even though the 305’s are only a little over an inch wider.

The only reason I was asking was because on my old 98 ram I once had, I was running a 285/75/16 on the stock 16 x 7 wheels when the factory tires for that truck was only a 245/75/16. Those were only just a little over an inch and a half wider than the OEM tire size but it was enough that I had to run a lot less tire pressure in my back tires in order to get the tread patch to make full contact with the road because it pulled in the side walls so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moes is actually running a PCM swap/tuner deal right now that makes tuning ours a little easier. You can grab a hemifever engine/transmission tune from him in the deal as well. Much more economical than buying an unlocked PCM, or shipping yours off to get unlocked. You just have to send yours back to him once you get the unlocked one. Im looking at going that route pretty soon.

Back on the topic of tires, i wouldnt know the necessary pressure for the wider tires yet, i still have the factory goodyear wranglers on my truck, since theyve only got 5600 miles on them.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Moes is actually running a PCM swap/tuner deal right now that makes tuning ours a little easier. You can grab a hemifever engine/transmission tune from him in the deal as well. Much more economical than buying an unlocked PCM, or shipping yours off to get unlocked. You just have to send yours back to him once you get the unlocked one. Im looking at going that route pretty soon.
Well, that’s certainly good to know that it’s not as drastic as I always thought it was with these late model trucks if I was to ever think about putting a tuner on it but since I’m going to be a lifetime customer of my Mopar MVP warranty, tuning the computer is not really anything I’ve ever been interested in on my new truck. Besides, I have a Pedal Commander on mine and that suits me plenty… LOL.

Back on the topic of tires, i wouldnt know the necessary pressure for the wider tires yet, i still have the factory goodyear wranglers on my truck, since theyve only got 5600 miles on them.

Well if you go that route, you probably won’t have to go too drastic with air pressures.

I don’t know how you feel about them stock goodyears but since I know how much they sucked on my old 2008 ram, I cut my losses early on my tires not even 1500 miles into owning my new pickup. Figured the best thing to do was to get rid of them while they were still practically new, so that I could sell them for as much as I could. I guess I did pretty good because they only had 1500 miles on them and I was able to sell them for just under 400 bucks for all four.

nwsewell

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well, that’s certainly good to know that it’s not as drastic as I always thought it was with these late model trucks if I was to ever think about putting a tuner on it but since I’m going to be a lifetime customer of my Mopar MVP warranty, tuning the computer is not really anything I’ve ever been interested in on my new truck. Besides, I have a Pedal Commander on mine and that suits me plenty… LOL.

Well if you go that route, you probably won’t have to go too drastic with air pressures.

I don’t know how you feel about them stock goodyears but since I know how much they sucked on my old 2008 ram, I cut my losses early on my tires not even 1500 miles into owning my new pickup. Figured the best thing to do was to get rid of them while they were still practically new, so that I could sell them for as much as I could. I guess I did pretty good because they only had 1500 miles on them and I was able to sell them for just under 400 bucks for all four.

That warranty can certainly be an amazing thing. Personally, I plan to replace (upgrade) all of the specifics that usually end up killing the 5.7 little by little, so I'm not very worried about my warranty. I also have the Pedal Commander, and while it is a lot of fun, I want more power [emoji28]

I dont mind the goodyears, tbh. A lot of people hate on them, and they certainly arent the best tires out there by any means, but I dont actually have any complaints myself. Theyre a smooth enough ride for me. They handle just fine on dry or wet roads. Sure, spinning the rears and sliding is really easy to do, but i actually enjoy that kind of thing, and I've never once had any kind of traction issues in the front. My opinion is: if you really don't want to break your back tires loose or slide around, keep the traction control turned on and just go a little lighter on the gas pedal. That's just my opinion though, everyone is entitled to their own.
I'm keeping the wranglers until I burn through them. I paid full price, so I might as well get my money's worth out of them.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That warranty can certainly be an amazing thing. Personally, I plan to replace (upgrade) all of the specifics that usually end up killing the 5.7 little by little, so I'm not very worried about my warranty. I also have the Pedal Commander, and while it is a lot of fun, I want more power [emoji28]
If I didn’t have lifetime warranty on my truck I’d probably be the same way.

But me, I’m real happy with the 395 hp that mine puts out stock, with the 3:92 gears… LOL. And that’s even on the no-ethanol 87 octane gasoline that I’m currently testing to see if I really need to run the 89 or not.

I dont mind the goodyears, tbh. A lot of people hate on them, and they certainly arent the best tires out there by any means, but I dont actually have any complaints myself. Theyre a smooth enough ride for me. They handle just fine on dry or wet roads. Sure, spinning the rears and sliding is really easy to do, but i actually enjoy that kind of thing, and I've never once had any kind of traction issues in the front. My opinion is: if you really don't want to break your back tires loose or slide around, keep the traction control turned on and just go a little lighter on the gas pedal. That's just my opinion though, everyone is entitled to their own.
I'm keeping the wranglers until I burn through them. I paid full price, so I might as well get my money's worth out of them.

I really didn’t mind my stock good years while they were still brand new, and even really didn’t have that much of a problem with the older goodyears that was on my old truck, even though they were as old as the truck was when I bought it, which was four years old, but when they get down to below half worn, they seemed to hydroplane fairly easy. That’s why I didn’t even burn completely through the stock tires on my last truck. As I said, although my last set of goodyears was still brand new, I knew where they were headed to eventually so I just figured it be better to get rid of them at such an early stage and try to make the most profit on them so I could put something on there much better than what they put on there.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If I didn’t have lifetime warranty on my truck I’d probably be the same way.

But me, I’m real happy with the 395 hp that mine puts out stock, with the 3:92 gears…

An aftermarket muffler and performance product stickers my friend. extra 30 hp right there!

Michael Day

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like my Bfg, all terrain KO2. Great in all weather, no noise that i could tell. But, my exhaust would drown it out anyhow.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I sure did like these when they were out. Too bad they don’t make them anymore. Prolly my all time favorite tire. feb8e7b8f1f79b001d6d7f2f01fb784e.jpg

duckman631

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7 K&N Cold Air Intake.
My favorite was general grabber at/2 but now they changed them and the tread pattern so they’re out. They lasted long and great traction. I was looking at the falken wildpeaks to swap out the wrangler sra that’s usually stock on the pre owned but I got luck and prior owner had them put on and they were close to new and so far very happy with how the function and look.

RAM18ZL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I have Goodyear Wrangler duratracs on my '13 quad cab ram 1500 4x4 big Horn. I love these tires. They are a little loud on the road but they have excellent traction especially in snow, sand, and mud. Even with a trailer behind it once in a while.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have Goodyear Wrangler duratracs on my '13 quad cab ram 1500 4x4 big Horn. I love these tires. They are a little loud on the road but they have excellent traction especially in snow, sand, and mud. Even with a trailer behind it once in a while.

I love my duratracs In snow and very occasional dirt road. They saved my bacon on a couple sketchy boat launches tho[emoji41].

Only reason I didn’t recommend them to OP is I recall he said never off roads and no snow. So from what I’ve read Michelin are some of the best in every aspect.

In my opinion the duratracs are terrible in the rain. At least mine are! After 40000 kilometres they got really loud. But up to that point o could barely hear or feel them [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Only reason I didn’t recommend them to OP is I recall he said never off roads and no snow. So from what I’ve read Michelin are some of the best in every aspect.

He did. I think he ended up choosing those Yokohama YK HTX’s or whatever they are. They look like they could be a distant twin to the Michelin Defenders. Be interesting to hear his review.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
He did. I think he ended up choosing those Yokohama YK HTX’s or whatever they are. They look like they could be a distant twin to the Michelin Defenders. Be interesting to hear his review.

I love tires. It’s so fascinating to me that those 4 hunks of rubber keep us upright, safe and it’s unreal to think of the punishment they endure. The unsung hero’s of cars IMO lol. I used to cheap out on tires when I was younger but now with kids and in my 30’s the thought of driving around on those cheap ass Chinese Mud tires just doesn’t sit well with my OCD.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love tires. It’s so fascinating to me that those 4 hunks of rubber keep us upright, safe and it’s unreal to think of the punishment they endure. The unsung hero’s of cars IMO lol. I used to cheap out on tires when I was younger but now with kids and in my 30’s the thought of driving around on those cheap ass Chinese Mud tires just doesn’t sit well with my OCD.

Well, it’s just like what Michelin says in their ad... “Because so much is riding on your tires”

Fieldoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had Michelin defenders on my 17 ram with airide and they were great, smoother than the sra's and safer. On my 18 longhorn with coils Michelins were rougher than my sra's so took them off and went to nitto terra graps 275/65/20 in their 4 ply and rides like the Michelins but looks better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357