Looking to buy by month end…stuck between Rebel and Powerwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
im just guessing here, but i bet the trx is gonna be a $90-100k truck.

Well I think the thought is it will be a competitor to the raptor and the Raptor is selling between 62 and 72K
If it is a 90s deal then it would compare to the Shelby Raptor.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Does anyone think theres any merit in thinking that there is more longevity in a PW over a 1500? Driving conditions aside, with 2500's not having to comply with EPA regulations would there not be less things to potentially go wrong in a PW?
I would think so. If the same person dove both and pulled the same boat, put the same gas/oil etc. That the result would favor the HD
Now would it favor the PW? Are the bells and whistles that the Wagon offer at stake in your question. If so then probably not, since there is more moving parts that could fail. I got the 60k warranty so when I get to 60k in 2 years I would trade it in if it has been in the shop a dozen times.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone think theres any merit in thinking that there is more longevity in a PW over a 1500? Driving conditions aside, with 2500's not having to comply with EPA regulations would there not be less things to potentially go wrong in a PW?

For sure! They get to just build a truck and not have the EPA over their shoulder. I’m surprised Ram uses the MDS on the 6.4 truck engines but I’m guessing they want to beat the other two in MPG. The manufacturers assume the 2500 is going to have max tow hooked up all the time when they set the specs on them but doubt that’s the case for 1500. I know several guys with the Chevy 6.0 2500 that only unhook their work trailers to service the truck. One of them had 320,000 on it several years ago. Doubt you could get that from any of the three’s 1500 line but could get that from their 2500 lines consistently.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I think the thought is it will be a competitor to the raptor and the Raptor is selling between 62 and 72K
If it is a 90s deal then it would compare to the Shelby Raptor.

yes, and i believe that ls what they are going for.

My uncle just bought a shelby raptor. I told him if someone gave me that truck i would sell it and buy two rams lol.

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had 3 half ton trucks. Now that I have a PW I doubt I've ever have another 1500 or F-150.

OP
OP
jarzo

jarzo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I drove a few other trucks and a raptor (if it still had a V8 might have stood a better chance), but there was just something about the PW.

Funny...I may check out the Raptor this weekend (just for the fun of it). There was a time when dealers were charging a $5-10k ADM on the raptors....Now I've seen a few left over 2019s priced $5-8k under msrp.

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Funny...I may check out the Raptor this weekend (just for the fun of it). There was a time when dealers were charging a $5-10k ADM on the raptors....Now I've seen a few left over 2019s priced $5-8k under msrp.

I had one, a '17 in Avalanche Gray. Well made for the most part. Not sold on the aluminum body though and that motor just flat out sucks ass. I got tired of the piped into the speakers fake engine noise over the already ****** real sound lol.

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had one, a '17 in Avalanche Gray. Well made for the most part. Not sold on the aluminum body though and that motor just flat out sucks ass. I got tired of the piped into the speakers fake engine noise over the already ****** real sound lol.
I test drove both ecoboost engines several years back and was impressed. Went with the 2.7 with 6 speed because i didn’t like all the shifting in the 10 speed. That 2.7 never failed to impress and would use it over my 2003 Cummings if the load allowed. But, when I rode in a Raptor, I felt the whole piping sound was weird and didn’t like it at all(I was riding in it to test drive a boat and not to buy the truck) It just bugged me the sound was fake and couldn’t believe Ford would do that.

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I test drove both ecoboost engines several years back and was impressed. Went with the 2.7 with 6 speed because i didn’t like all the shifting in the 10 speed. That 2.7 never failed to impress and would use it over my 2003 Cummings if the load allowed. But, when I rode in a Raptor, I felt the whole piping sound was weird and didn’t like it at all(I was riding in it to test drive a boat and not to buy the truck) It just bugged me the sound was fake and couldn’t believe Ford would do that.

The Raptor is popular despite the engine. Imo the engine is the heart of the vehicle however so the novelty wore off by 30K miles. If a Raptor owner holds on to the truck my impression is that they're going to have serious problems after 60K or so with the cam phazers, turbos etc.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I would say if your not going to take advantage of all the extra offroad features the PW comes with stick with a rebel or even a Laramie or limited package. There seems to be a huge influx of new PW owners with the 2019 body changes and fancy new interiors. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's gonna be alot of used PWs coming down the pipe when people start seeing this is not really a truck to be daily driven. Even with the 8sp your not gonna even come close to decent gas mileage

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Rated R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would say if your not going to take advantage of all the extra offroad features the PW comes with stick with a rebel or even a Laramie or limited package. There seems to be a huge influx of new PW owners with the 2019 body changes and fancy new interiors. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's gonna be alot of used PWs coming down the pipe when people start seeing this is not really a truck to be daily driven. Even with the 8sp your not gonna even come close to decent gas mileage.

A decade ago my daily was a Ram SRT-10. Damn clutch only lasted 12K miles though. I cant remember the mpg (must have been around 10 mpg) but rather how much fun that truck was.

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would say if your not going to take advantage of all the extra offroad features the PW comes with stick with a rebel or even a Laramie or limited package. There seems to be a huge influx of new PW owners with the 2019 body changes and fancy new interiors. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say there's gonna be alot of used PWs coming down the pipe when people start seeing this is not really a truck to be daily driven. Even with the 8sp your not gonna even come close to decent gas mileage

Idk. My fancy new power wagon is getting the same mileage as my 16 2500 did in winter. So far the only thing irritating about this power wagon is red lights.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Everyone's "daily" is different. 8 years ago my job was 5 miles from my house so my daily was a 11-second Evo x that maybe got 14mpgs. That all changed in my daily commute turned into 80 to 120 round trip. So I got rid of the Evo and got a Jetta. My commute is still the same but I don't say that I daily drive my power wagon everyday of the week if I did getting 12 mpgs driving 80 to 100 miles round-trip everyday would put me broke so I have a second vehicle for work. I personally wouldn't advocate driving this truck if my daily commute was over 40 miles round-trip but that's just me

tpk0999

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone's "daily" is different. 8 years ago my job was 5 miles from my house so my daily was a 11-second Evo x that maybe got 14mpgs. That all changed in my daily commute turned into 80 to 120 round trip. So I got rid of the Evo and got a Jetta. My commute is still the same but I don't say that I daily drive my power wagon everyday of the week if I did getting 12 mpgs driving 80 to 100 miles round-trip everyday would put me broke so I have a second vehicle for work. I personally wouldn't advocate driving this truck if my daily commute was over 40 miles round-trip but that's just me

What year wagon?

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
What year wagon?

17, granted I have 37s but the best I've ever done was 15. Just saw a post today in one of the Facebook Power wagon groups of a guy wanting a tuner because he's only getting 9 to 10 miles per gallon and this is on a 2019. someone else chimed in saying they were getting 13 and another one said he was only getting 8mpgs something around town. I'm just saying you shouldn't buy this truck looking for fuel economy

Last edited:

ALRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I drive 60 miles round trip and might get something that gets better gas mileage once the warranty expires. By the time you pay insurance, pay 20,000 for something descent and have an additional maintenance expense, it’s probably still cheaper for me to just get 13 MPG. There’s also the safety concern. These ******* that text and drive get out of my lane quickly in a PW. I’ve made my wife keep her Tahoe just because of the close calls we’ve had with text drivers and impaired drivers.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I am one of those guys that drive 60 mi a day. 30k per year and I love the PW as a commuter. I tend run a little hard.
If I start to approach a vehicle in the fast before I even get 10-12 truck lengths away, they have moved over for me. Not the case in one of my fleet f150s. I think size and height of the PW demands respect and that’s what it gets!!
The truck feels good to me. But I have had the 1st Raptor (6” wider then PW) and a 17 f250 just before the PW and I’m the most comfortable in a bigger truck. I feel like I’m driving a tank and love that feeling. Yes I get 11-12 GPMs cause I “drive it like I stole it” but check out my thread when I took this PW to the Smoking Mountains. I got 16-18 gpms (I only go 2-5 over the speed limit when my family is with me)
Since I have been buying $60+ trucks the last few years I automatically look for a parking spot in the back of the lot. So parking has not changed.

Side note to help with gas mileage: I’m getting 1-2 mpgs better since I took the resonator off 2 weeks ago. Unnecessary back pressure.

Last edited:

Hammer757

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm just saying you shouldn't buy this truck looking for fuel economy

Agreed if you want fuel economy get the rebel with the diesel. Though I had a lot of issues with the gen 2 eco diesel, and with the gen 3 being pretty much a complete redesign I'm not sure I would want to be the beta test group on that motor.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Back to the OP, if you don't tow and don't off-road the truck then I would say definitely go with the Rebel. I've had experience with both the PW and Rebel and the Rebel gets better gas mileage and has better ride and handling traits. In this case I think the Power Wagon simply has the "awe" factor with the taller stance and knowing it has a winch, lockers, etc... I just picked up a PW but wanted the strength of a 3/4 ton truck for towing and hauling heavier loads (I know, I know, a PW isn't rated as high as a regular 2500). However it's also not my daily driver. I did daily drive a Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4wd for years and loved it, but then my commute doubled with a new job and started using a car. Paid $7k for a 3 year old car with under 50k miles on it, not fancy but midsize with the all needed amenities. Driving the car saves me $100/month in gas which really isn't that much when you factor in the purchase price, insurance, etc.... but I do save a lot of money on maintenance costs. Probably save a couple thousand dollars on tires alone over the life of the vehicles......and of course the biggest savings is when the car wears out I just go out and buy another $7k car versus paying $40k+ to replace the truck. Of course I'm the type of person that keeps vehicles a long time.