Looks like I'm never buying RAM again...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProsperRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (eTourqe)
So, on a whim, I headed over to RAM's website to check out trucks (I like to "window shop" occasionally) - and I was sorely disappointed to discover that they're no longer going to produce any V8 trucks... I hate anything that is 6- or 4- cylinder and refuse to buy anything with those type of engines. So, needless to say, unless I go with something used, or they decide to start producing V8s again, I'll never be buying a RAM truck again. That sucks, because they HAD (IMHO) the best trucks on the market. The 2024 TRX is way overpriced as well - and it's going to be the last model with a V8.

That being said, what are your thoughts on this?
I am also disaappointed. The 5.7 Hemi is a solid motor and platform. I am considering a 2024, but found out that it is a mild Hybrid (etourqe). At least it is a V8, but i would preferr no to complicate anything with a hybrid.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am also disaappointed. The 5.7 Hemi is a solid motor and platform. I am considering a 2024, but found out that it is a mild Hybrid (etourqe). At least it is a V8, but i would preferr no to complicate anything with a hybrid
There have been few problems, one is the 48v battery pack behind the rear seat that could possibly get wet if there's a rear window leak from CHMSL or a cracked slider window frame, the system is covered for 80,000 miles.
I would get the 24 Hemi never to be produced again!!!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Saw the title of this thread "never buy another Ram" Ram tough is BS I see all the talk about torque & horsepower & gas milage..... none of that is applicable if the transmission goes out @ 71000 miles. I honestly thought this would be the last truck I had to buy. Even when they rebuild it, I will never have the confidence I once did in this truck. Dealer loves it $$$$$$$
Hey! Hey! Wha What!? I mean, THE Sam Elliot once proclaimed "Guts! Glory! Ram!" during the commercials aired with our favorite foot um'ball games!!!! ;)
After all, his manly-man baritone voice coupled with that womb-broom mustache, along with the 'Merican Bubba Bob thinking made guys run down the the local dealer and buy one just to "think" they were also that masculine! Ditto for the Chevy ad with Bob Seger singing "Like a Rock" while the scene in the ad depicted a crane dropping a boulder into the bed of a C-1500 Silverado and said Silverado driving away as though the rock was paper machae! Oh! Wait! That WAS a prop made from paper and cardboard, eh?

The trifecta was the pickup truck, beer, and male enhancement pills! We were living THE 'merican dream, uh, er, weren't we? :)

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There have been few problems, one is the 48v battery pack behind the rear seat that could possibly get wet if there's a rear window leak from CHMSL or a cracked slider window frame, the system is covered for 80,000 miles.
I would get the 24 Hemi never to be produced again!!!
One set of problems I perceive is the move to make a utility vehicle (pick-up truck) into an electronic wizardry of gadgets and woo factor conveniences. Although these features are demanded by public outcry coupled with big gummint mandates to stop us from killing ourselves or others, the idea that these behemoth daily drivers are, somehow necessary for "soccer moms" or Bubba wannabes, merits review.

ADAs, a cousin to TCAS on aircraft, is a prime, exorbitantly expensive feature designed to mitigate dummies mis-actions of burying their noses in their cell phones, or some other distraction from PAYING ATTENTION! Or just crappy dangerous driving.

I hear so many people justify a 6-7000 pound vehicle for "protection" in the event of a collision.
Although a legitimate point on merit, paying attention, along with applying defensive driving techniques while driving, might be a damned good start.

I've been in 2 major life threatening crashes in my own 52 years of driving. Both crashes were identical ironically.
In the first one, the EMT's and Cops were amazed I'd survived. I wasn't wearing a seat belt.... it took months to recuperate and several years to regain pre crash level of function. The second one, I WAS wearing a seatbelt and had a slightly sore neck for a couple of weeks. Both vehicles were considered compact.

Although my 2 accidents are/were subjective, I have avoided MANY, MANY accidents by looking out for the other guy over the years.

I knew a forensic photographer for a local fire/emt department. IOW, they took pictures at fatal accident site, and at fire scenes. That person, who has/had the constitution to look at gory scenes and not react, stated that seatbelts and airbags save lives, but it was much more desirable to never need them.

Owning these trucks isn't inherently wrong, but the mass demand for them for being a home on wheels with designs to entertain and indulge in such debauchery just to take the kids to school, etc?

Last edited:

Hagar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
But, BUT, BUT, It's Green. :doublepuke:

Change CAN be good. This is NOT one of those cases.

Fed mandates create nothing but problems.

Government is NOT the solution. Government IS the problem.

There is nothing good about the Green line of crap from the Feds and tree huggers.

EVs. The (NOT) solution where there is NO problem.

Capitalism and market forces, consumer choice, is the best solution.
Unfortunately, a manufacturer could have the best product in the world but if it doesn't pass the emission testing mandated by government, it can't be sold. You are right, government IS the problem!

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
The original idea of a "VEE" engine was/is to keep the length down. Actually, an inline 8 cylinder makes much more torque than an equal sized v-8. The downside is harmonics in that long of a crankshaft. Also an in line engine of yore was much heavier than modern v-8 engines. The venerable !-6 300 Cubic inch Ford engine up until 2006 was a torque monster!
I am well aware, and have rebuilt numerous 300 Ford, and 292 GM I-6 engines at my late friend's machine shop. I also am driving my third Dodge/Ram/Cummins, so six-in-a-row is not alien to me.

On Edit:
I'll add that is 1986, back in my foolish Ford days, I ordered an F-250, and opted for the 302 EFI over the 300 I-6, and I regretted my decision. That 302 couldn't pull the proverbial ho off the chamberpot.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
One set of problems I perceive is the move to make a utility vehicle (pick-up truck) into an electronic wizardry of gadgets and woo factor conveniences. Although these features are demanded by public outcry coupled with big gummint mandates to stop us from killing ourselves or others, the idea that these behemoth daily drivers are, somehow necessary for "soccer moms" or Bubba wannabes, merits review.

What others elect to drive does not 'merit review' by you, nor do they need to prove it's 'necessary' to do so.

Old Mopar Guy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get the last of the HEMI V8's.
We had a used 2014 that started the HEMI tick. My local independent mechanic said $7,100 to repair with oil pump, lifters and cam replacement.

My mechanic said the best place was the local RAM dealer in Phoenix. We wanted another Longhorn with a the goodies. They had three on the lot that were seriously reduced in price $16-$18K.

We settled on a one of a kind Longhorn 1500 Southfork edition.

They said this is the last year for the V8's...UGH!

They had the TRX and Hellcats double the price on the lot and in the showroom. That's the last of them!
Rich collectors were buying them anticipating that they will be worth big money later on.

Hey, just get out there and get what you want. Don't wait!

I couldn't bare driving a twin-turbo V6... nothing is like a HEMI V8!

"You snooze, you loose!"

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And BTW, I am in the same lane as you are. Don't care for the 6 or 4 cylinder trucks at all. I will go back to the used market once all the v-8s are gone. At least until they are outlawed.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What others elect to drive does not 'merit review' by you, nor do they need to prove it's 'necessary' to do so.
That's true from your observation perspective, and I stipulate to that.
I was/am intending the observation of a basic "need" as opposed to "desire".
It's great to live in the country where we are all free to choose, and the market demand which I alluded to shows that people WANT the big double chubby chuck computers on wheels! I respect those choices!

In reading so many complaints about systems designed to make our lives "better" by automating even the mundane job of, say, unlocking the doors, It becomes a question of whether the so-called convenience is worth the price paid in expense to buy it and expense to repair it.

I onetime bought a car with RKE. When I attempted to open the door and trunk using the key in the old-fashioned manual way (put the key in the lock), the key would not turn the lock cylinder! A lot of PB Blaster and some working the tumblers got them freed up!

In conclusion, I'm not of such hubris as to review others' choices. I do review how taken folks have become with automation, however! Peace!

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
In reading so many complaints about systems designed to make our lives "better" by automating even the mundane job of, say, unlocking the doors, It becomes a question of whether the so-called convenience is worth the price paid in expense to buy it and expense to repair it.

We can agree on that. I do like keyless entry if it's combined with push button start. I can live without it. My car is still a metal key and turn scenario.

As pedestrian as it may sound, the things I vastly prefer on modern trucks vs old trucks is lighting and storage. Adaptive HIDs or LEDs are ridiculously better than the old halogens and I'm too the point that my eyes appreciate that difference. Lockable storage, cup holders, tailgate locks, etc. are also much better than having a beer between your legs as a youth and no way to secure the bed contents without drilling and adding a padlock.

I *don't* want lane assist, automatic braking, auto stop/start, an app that unlocks the truck, etc. I had a rental car this month with lane control and it hated my out-in-out taking of curves, hated me moving over for cyclists, etc. I don't want to fight my car while driving it. *SO* I don't buy a car/truck with those features. It's easy to avoid them. You may just have to make some decisions about what else you want to give up.

BenWade

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
People love to complain, this thread is a perfect example. You see a ton of guys on here bemoaning modern trucks and saying they'd rather drive X...but they don't. They are just rolling around in nostalgia but really wanting the modern conveniences and power as well.

I drove a 1978 truck from 2010-2012 while saving money for my then-new 2012 Ram. It's totally doable to drive an old truck if you really want to. Most guys just want to pretend they want to, though.
The guys you accuse of bemoaning modern trucks do drive older trucks though?? Look how popular the Ram Classic has been! I drive a 10 year old gen 4 and if they continue building new Classics then I'll buy one of them.

GeauxApe12B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
IMO...the government will get rid of the gasoline supply prior to diesel since their underaged constituents from the southern border are hauled around in Semi's. So...I got rid of my 5th Gen 1500 and went back to a 2018 with a Cummings. Diesel stores longer in containers than gasoline does so, guess I'll be stockpiling fuel.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The guys you accuse of bemoaning modern trucks do drive older trucks though?? Look how popular the Ram Classic has been! I drive a 10 year old gen 4 and if they continue building new Classics then I'll buy one of them.
I drove a 1989 Ram 150 with the 3.9L v-6 and auto trans, p s, and power brakes and no A/C. It was from Wyoming and had a cute little radiator fan which proved to be woefully inadequate for Houston's brutal summer heat, but it DID have 2 battery set up with auto switch over and a heater from Haydes! 5 years!

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We can agree on that. I do like keyless entry if it's combined with push button start. I can live without it. My car is still a metal key and turn scenario.

As pedestrian as it may sound, the things I vastly prefer on modern trucks vs old trucks is lighting and storage. Adaptive HIDs or LEDs are ridiculously better than the old halogens and I'm too the point that my eyes appreciate that difference. Lockable storage, cup holders, tailgate locks, etc. are also much better than having a beer between your legs as a youth and no way to secure the bed contents without drilling and adding a padlock.

I *don't* want lane assist, automatic braking, auto stop/start, an app that unlocks the truck, etc. I had a rental car this month with lane control and it hated my out-in-out taking of curves, hated me moving over for cyclists, etc. I don't want to fight my car while driving it. *SO* I don't buy a car/truck with those features. It's easy to avoid them. You may just have to make some decisions about what else you want to give up.
"To Each His own!" said the man as he kissed his pet pig! ;)

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

Average age of a car on the road is something like 12-13 years old. 10 years old and current production is hardly an older truck. :jester:

Regardless, not what I was discussing. If you're happy with what you're driving, that's quite a bit different than driving it while whining how X is so much better. Go drive an X then.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I doubt the 3/4 tons will eliminate the V-8 anytime soon, did you check those?

3/4 ton also don't have the stop/start or 'mild hybrid' systems so far, which was another selling point on the PW for me. Plus with the PW you get the softer suspension for a better ride. Even if you don't need the off road goodies, it's a nice compromise if you don't need a real 3/4 ton. Think of it as a heavy half ton. Easy way to get the crew cab and a standard bed as well. I'm very hesitant to buy a stubby bed. I don't *often* need the full bed, but the few times a year I do I'd rather have it then bother with a trailer.