Loose Wires??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TommyT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I posted an earlier thread regarding some water damage when my dad left the windows on his 2011 2500 open overnight. I replaced the driver door master power switch and both front doors' control modules (where all the relays and wires get branched behind the door panels). I fixed most of the problems with these replacements.The last thing not working is the front passenger power window and power mirror. This led me to trace every wire in the door harness on both front doors except the ones that went directly to the door speakers that worked anyways. There's around 20 wires leading from the rubber boot at the driver's door hinge and about a dozen from the front passenger door hinge. I tested all these wires and found how they crisscrossed between the door control module, the power window motor, the power mirrors, the power door locks, the power switches, and the end of the harness which plugs at the door hinge. I even traced around 5 or 6 wires that feed both front door wire harnesses (apparently the interior wires that let the driver control the front passenger window and mirror?). All of these wires worked with my fox and hound tool. I took the truck to the dealership where I bought the parts and they weren't too sure about the problem as the mechanic said that the issue was intermittent. After telling them everything that I already replaced and checked, he recommended replacing the front passenger door harness and power window switch. He mentioned that when he "jiggled" the wires the power windows would work and then stop working. WTF??? I'm inclined to let them replace it with my doubts. Its only a few hundred bucks, and either it works and I'm happy or it doesn't and I'm not going to pay and catch them as being a bit incompetent. I bought an Autel Maxidiag Elite last year on a good deal from Autozone. I used it to scan the Ram's codes and many of them went away when I replaced several items. I get two last faults now: DMFR (door module front right) and CGW (central gateway). The codes read as: 1) lost communication with left front door module 2) door module front right missing calibration Missing calibration??? I told the service guy that wrote up the issues at the dealership about these codes and the "missing calibration" and he looked stumped. I'm assuming they have much better skills, experience, diagnostic tools, and service/repair manuals than I do. I'll find out if that's true when the parts come in and I let them fix it, hopefully. Funny thing, I go to the car wash that day with front passenger window closed and not working. I play with the switch and halfway through the car wash the window goes down a bit and I quickly close it again. At this moment the power mirror also works!? They continue to work for about 10 min until I go to a store and when entering the truck again, they're dead again.... :Frustrated:

Last edited:

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wouldn't
I wouldn't be so sure about there Technicians being experts. I am not sure why but it seems like a lot of them don't realy know much about these trucks. I think Ram has realy Fallen short in there training ptograms. I have dellt with them in a couple of issues with my truck and wasn't impressed and I have seen others post similar results. Your problem will be hard to figure out because it's an electrical problem and it's intermittent. Those are the hardest ones to figure out. I agree with you. Since you have pretty much exhausted every resorce you have to fix it give them a shot at it. It will either get fixed or you will be able to add a couple of other things on the list that you know isn't the problem.. Good luck keep us posted on your results. It will help others in the future.