Loss of power/hills

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello
I’m driving a 2001 2500 with the v10. When I hit a steep hill I have a large power loss, off hills it feels fine. Wot will downshift and rev high, but still no power.

OP
OP
Matt Bell

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was curious if that could be it. Sounds like that’s common on the V8s. How long do they normally hold up in the v10?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
I was curious if that could be it. Sounds like that’s common on the V8s. How long do they normally hold up in the v10?

Totally dependent on driving habits, maintenance etc. If you have a digital laser thermometer its easy to diagnose. At operating temp, take a measurement on in the infeed pipe and another on the outfeed pipe from the cat. If its clogged, the infeed will be exceptionally hotter than the outfeed.

As for specific numbers, idk off the top of my head

OP
OP
Matt Bell

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well miles are low, but I’m guessing it’s been driven pretty hard. Couldn’t find infrared scanner this morning. I was thinking of pulling the cats off, but it’s down-pouring right now and the trucks a little too tall for the garage. I had to do some freeway driving today and it’ll do the same thing at 60+mph. I pressed the petal about 3/4 of the way to where it downshifted and still just held speed. I left the petal there for 10-15 seconds than it just kicked out of it and drove as it should. Felt like it was missing during the hesitation.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Well it could be other things too. Clogged fuel filter will make fuel pump work extra hard as it pushes the fuel up against gravity through the clog. In fact a failing fuel pump itself would also act the same way. Uphill against gravity n such.

cam shaft sensor throwing off ignition timing. Poor compression.

These are all things you wouldnt notice until you needed more power, like climbing a hill. Checking compression and fuel pressure is easy so along with checking the cats, id do those first. Fuel filter is a service item so i would go ahead and do that anyway. Dont know what kind of **** gas has been pumping through it

OP
OP
Matt Bell

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks nick. Fuel filter was my original thought on the hill. Noticing it occasionally on the flats too. Doesn’t always do it when I need power though. Was driving about 100 miles this afternoon and it happened once. Since the issue is intermittent do you think exhaust pressure/temp, fuel pressure, or compression would necessarily test off? I’ll test anyway and switch out fuel filter when the monsoons let up.

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Since its intermittent, could save the cats as a last resort.

Fuel pressure is still high on my list. I also forgot to mention the fuel tank vent. If its not venting properly, likely partially blocked, the exiting of the fuel will create a vacuum in the tank since air isnt replacing the volume of fuel fast enough. so while the fuel pump is trying to pump out the fuel, the vacuum its creating will be pulling the other way and drop fuel pressure. Kind of like tug of war.

It may be that the rate of venting is ok for slow acceleration and cruising speeds but once you hop on the throttle, the rate of the fuel pump far exceeds the capabilities of the vent to pull in air.

Quite a few possibilities.

OP
OP
Matt Bell

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ll start simple, work on from there. Also threw a p0132 p0201

OP
OP
Matt Bell

Matt Bell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Put a can of sea foam in the gas when fueling up. Driven about 500 miles without issue.