Made this for the truck bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well thank you sir john for the most clever idea! Today after
4'coats of blk paint and 2' coats of clear coat and several days of drying, I too have a custom made ram bed tie down and separator. I really liked the look of it and it matches my silver bighorn perfectly. I found the chrome metallic ram head decal online and the rest at the depot including matching gray/ blk bungy! Again this is why I love this forum and members a great way to share info and ideas. Can't wait for my next tailgate! looks sharp and highly recommend it. Pic below.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 202

RHeller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well done...looks nice and useful

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well thank you sir john for the most clever idea! Today after
4'coats of blk paint and 2' coats of clear coat and several days of drying, I too have a custom made ram bed tie down and separator. I really liked the look of it and it matches my silver bighorn perfectly. I found the chrome metallic ram head decal online and the rest at the depot including matching gray/ blk bungy! Again this is why I love this forum and members a great way to share info and ideas. Can't wait for my next tailgate! looks sharp and highly recommend it. Pic below.

No problem and it looks great!

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks great.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
What is the length of wood you guys are using? And paint is just like a rustoleum black?

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
I used a nice 2x8 8' cut at 65 & 5/8", I then flared the bottom corners with a template I made out of cardboard to match my bedliner, I have plastic inserted bedliner mopar. I then belt sanded cleaned with mineral spirits and used rustoleum gloss black in quart can. I did 2 coats, then soft Steel wool to smooth out paint and eliminate any bumps blotches, then 2 more coats. After dried about day, I applied 2 coats of clear coat spray. I then applied decal and tie down points. I also used some felt strips on each end of 2x8 that mated to the bedliner to make a smoother lift out lift in and zero rattle at contact. Came out great, I could see these mass produced out of acrylic and sold. I had fun making it and enjoyed some garage time! Highly recommend this low cost great lookin Mod! Especially for when pickin up groceries.:favorites13:

OP
OP
Sir John

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the length of wood you guys are using? And paint is just like a rustoleum black?

I also used an 8 foot 2x8 that I cut down to length. I have a sprayed in liner so the exact length is different than what Hipps said above, but it's close...I cannot remember off the top of my head. I cut the corners at a 45 degree angle. You cannot see it in the picture, but I added small pieces of wood on the ends to create a tighter fit in the slots. I used about 2 coats of oil based primer followed by about 4 coats of semi-gloss Rustoleum black. The tie downs I got from The Tractor Supply Store and the decal I found at Autozone. Believe it or not I didn't want to make it too nice because I know over time it will get beat up anyway.

cgeorgemo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Mine is a 2X8 piece of pressure treated lumber cut to length. I like the idea of the tie downs. I think I might look at getting a cargo net from a hatchback to attach to mine for those plastic bags the stores use now.

Hipps2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
That's a great idea about the net, I am gonna look for one and attach with carribeaners like the bungy I found at the depot. :naughty: