Magnaflow vs Borla and 180 thermostat?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am looking at quieting down my truck since I just bought a camper and when I hit the hills it’s making us def. I have a muffler delete right now and I’m looking at Borla or magnaflow. I do still want some noise. Just looking for recommendations. Also I am thinking of getting 180 degree thermostat to help the engine run a little cooler. Would this be a good option? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i run the 180 t-stat with no issues. I am also in texas and its hot so on the highway my temps stay around 200.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks but I forgot to mention it’s an 09 1500 5.7 with the 5 speed trans.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i run the 180 t-stat with no issues. I am also in texas and its hot so on the highway my temps stay around 200.

What year is yours and your temps never go over 200 towing? I have seen my oil temp get up to 258 on a hard mountain pull. Trans temp never over 180 and coolant temp never over 203.

BOWERSFJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Magnaflow cat back ... Love mine ... Just the right amount if deep rumble, and only when ya want it ... Plus the 5” tips are the ****

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is your truck still under warranty? If so don’t do it. But I honestly wouldn’t waste my time on a 180 stat. The difference it makes is negligible at best unless you were doing it with a tune, and you risk running into issues throwing codes if you don’t. If I was going to do anything to improve with temps I would do a large oil
Cooler with a fan. That alone will improve engine cooling more than a 180 stat will.

Despite what a lot of people want to think the engineers at Chrysler aren’t stupid. If dropping the temperature 20 degrees made a substantial performance or reliability increase they would already be doing it. It’s not like a 180° stat cost more than a 200° stat. It’s all the same. it’s not a cost issue. It’s just as silly as people who buy these ridiculous “high flow” intake systems thinking it’s going to magically give it another 5 or 10 hp. They make zero difference which is why Chrysler never bothered to install them for the factory. For years cold air induction‘s were all the rage. They were marketed as a vast improvement over the stock systems. Now the stock induction system on these trucks are a true cold air induction and yet companies are still trying to convince you to buy their intakes. And people keep doing it. You’re just throwing money away.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Is your truck still under warranty? If so don’t do it. But I honestly wouldn’t waste my time on a 180 stat. The difference it makes is negligible at best unless you were doing it with a tune, and you risk running into issues throwing codes if you don’t. If I was going to do anything to improve with temps I would do a large oil
Cooler with a fan. That alone will improve engine cooling more than a 180 stat will.

Despite what a lot of people want to think the engineers at Chrysler aren’t stupid. If dropping the temperature 20 degrees made a substantial performance or reliability increase they would already be doing it. It’s not like a 180° stat cost more than a 200° stat. It’s all the same. it’s not a cost issue. It’s just as silly as people who buy these ridiculous “high flow” intake systems thinking it’s going to magically give it another 5 or 10 hp. They make zero difference which is why Chrysler never bothered to install them for the factory. For years cold air induction‘s were all the rage. They were marketed as a vast improvement over the stock systems. Now the stock induction system on these trucks are a true cold air induction and yet companies are still trying to convince you to buy their intakes. And people keep doing it. You’re just throwing money away.

No warranty. I do have a bully dog handheld tune but no custom tune. But I think your right the engineers know what there doing. The engines today are more efficient than ever and all my temps are still in spec but thanks for your input

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had both Borla and Magnaflow mufflers on my truck. The Borla Pro XS is pretty tough to beat for just doing a muffler swap....or in your case, adding a muffler. Both also make nice cat-back systems as well. If you don't want too loud, then look at the Magnaflow 22" or 24" offerings.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What year is yours and your temps never go over 200 towing? I have seen my oil temp get up to 258 on a hard mountain pull. Trans temp never over 180 and coolant temp never over 203.

I have a 2010. I have not seen my oil temps go past 215 or my ect. This is even with pulling my 7k camper. My trans temp stays around 150-180 most of the time. Ect on average is about 190.

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2010. I have not seen my oil temps go past 215 or my ect. This is even with pulling my 7k camper. My trans temp stays around 150-180 most of the time. Ect on average is about 190.

Yeah the only time I see oil temp get high is going up the mountain

OP
OP
Ramrodd

Ramrodd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got the 14 inch magnaflow muffler installed and it is very quiet now. I really don’t like not hearing the exhaust but I will see this weekend when I tow my camper if I really like it.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had both Borla and Magnaflow mufflers on my truck. The Borla Pro XS is pretty tough to beat for just doing a muffler swap....or in your case, adding a muffler. Both also make nice cat-back systems as well. If you don't want too loud, then look at the Magnaflow 22" or 24" offerings.

That Borla Pro need any extensions? What size Inlet and Outlet. Love to have this with the resonators. I had the cat back but it pissed off the neighbors so much I sold it..

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That Borla Pro need any extensions? What size Inlet and Outlet. Love to have this with the resonators. I had the cat back but it pissed off the neighbors so much I sold it..

If you have a stock system then you will need some extension pipe. Inlet is 3” and outlets dual 2.5”. Not sure how much quieter, if at all the Pro XS will be compared to cat back system. Maybe someone can chime in on that.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a stock system then you will need some extension pipe. Inlet is 3” and outlets dual 2.5”. Not sure how much quieter, if at all the Pro XS will be compared to cat back system. Maybe someone can chime in on that.
Sweet, thanks for the info and I’ll let you know the difference soon.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
On the 180 degree stat I agree with AE5548. A good cooler/fan set-up is definitely worth the money over just a cooler thermostat. Also, if you live in a cold area, you'd be surprised how much difference 20 degrees in water temp makes when you're running your heater. As far as the mufflers go, my advice would be to hit Youtube and watch videos with the sound of each muffler. They are both quality manufacturers and are close in price so it's pretty much a wash in those areas. My buddy had a Borla on his '15 5.7 and it sounded great. I have a Magnaflow on my '14 5.7 and I love it. Remember that one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's a matter of taste. Find out which sound you prefer and go with that one. Your truck only needs to sound good to you, not everyone else.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Opinions on Borla, AFE, Magna flow, Gibson or MBRP ?

Was looking on Summit racing and gotexhaust.com

Single cat back exhaust

Might want to consider the Solo Performance Mach 44 cat-back kit. I just installed it a couple of weeks ago and love it. No drone, and great tone. Gotexhaust sells them as well.