Major shake when in AWD & 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott L

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 & 1998
Engine
HEMI & 5.9
Help! Have had this problem for a few years and can’t seem to figure it out. Nor can my mechanic.
I get a major vibration (shake) in the front end when I put the truck in AWD and/or 4X4 to the point I can use either at all. Vibration in AWD happens even when 4X4 not engaged. New transfer case just installed so that’s not the problem.
Drive shaft maybe? Anyone know about this problem I could sure use the help. Thanks

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Have you had your mechanic inspect the front axle u-joints to see if they are seized? They will vibrate and shake pretty good if they are.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I second the front driveshaft issue. Most likely your Constant Velocity Joint is shot.

BTW your 2nd gen is NOT an AWD vehicle! Do not engage 4wd on dry pavement! An all wheel drive system isn't the same set up. It functions much like a limited slip differential to apply power to the front wheels as needed.

Your truck is designed to have the transfer case engaged under certain conditions only. Please don't confuse people by calling it an AWD setup.