Manual to Power Folding Mirrors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Has anybody tried this conversion? Easy/difficult for DIYer?

Couldn't really find an answer via search. Would love to get power folding mirrors with heat, puddle lamp, turn signal, etc. My truck came with everything except power folding.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I thought I've seen a post about this swap a while ago but I too can't find it..

I think the difficult part is wiring the passenger side mirror. I think it has to go through the BCM if I recall.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anybody tried this conversion? Easy/difficult for DIYer?

Couldn't really find an answer via search. Would love to get power folding mirrors with heat, puddle lamp, turn signal, etc. My truck came with everything except power folding.

What year is your truck and what trim level is it?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not sure on the 09 to 12 trucks. If it was a 2013 to 2016 they can be added by installing the master switch replacing both door modules and having the LER code flashed to your truck if you have have a trim level that came with power the folding mirrors option. Sorry I'm not sure about the 2012. I could not get the LER code flashed to my 2014 Express so I just wired mine in and have two micro switches installed in the driver door recess. It is not that difficult to just install your own switches. I actualy preferr mine more because I can control each mirror individually. I think I also read that there is a company making power folding mirrors with the switch assembly but I'm not sure who it was. This is a picture of the two switches I installed so you can see how I did mine. I just used two momitary 6 pole switches and wired them to reverese polarity. Very simlpe to do. The hardest part is running the wiring through the the factory door harness for a clean look. Hope this gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• 20151026_221539.jpg
    20151026_221539.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 20151024_135650.jpg
    20151024_135650.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 56

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've searched and read about everything I can on this.. I have a 2014 Limited that came with the tow package - have everything (mirrors, switch, and door controls) swapped out only to find there is no "LER" code in the drop down on STAR. Odd.. because a Limited should come with power fold standard - but because I have tow package it's not showing ??
I've read that you can call Detroit and they will add? But no dealer around here wants to spend any time on it... may just end up getting a harness from 1A auto and doing something like above to get them to function.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's exactly why I just did my own. The dealer needs to contact WIC ( Warranty Information Center ) and I haven't found one that will. Doc Holiday and CuylerTech where able to have codes added but they are the only two that I know of that have been sucsesfull. I am suprised it's not on your options list since it's a Limited and it was availible on the non tow mirrors. That's kind if strange. It's frustrating. I would try a few dealers if I where you since your truck is the highest trim level. I just said to heck with it on my Express and decided to do my own. I have a friend with the Big Horn with the factory power fold mirrors and I have to say I like the way mine work better with dual switches and control of how much I fold them. If you decide to wire your own the power fold the wires on the factory mirrors are the yellow and blue wires next to each other in the black plug.

OP
OP
Motivology

Motivology

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Thank you all for the inputs. I was surprised that my truck didn't come with power folding mirrors since it's a Laramie and they're not tow mirrors. Def a head scratcher for me. It's not a big deal but it would definitely be convenient to have them since I have a pillar right next to my parking space at my condo.

If there was a simple plug-n-play DIY (not a wiring expert), I would def get it done.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you didn't live so far away I would come over and help you knock it out in an afternoon. The wiring realy isn't complicated at all but if you haven't done it before I guess it we seem like it is. If I where you and you realy wanted the power fold mirrors I would continue to try to go through Chrysler to get the code activated and try different dealers. I am not as familier with the 2012 but wiith a trim level as high as yours if there was a factory powerfold option in 2012 I would not think that Chrysler would have a problem putting it in your truck for you. You just need to find the right dealer and that is the biggest pain.

Last edited:

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you didn't live so far away I would come over and help you knock it out in an afternoon. The wiring realy isn't complicated at all but if you haven't done it before I guess it we seem like it is. If I where you and you realy wanted the power fold mirrors I would continue to try to go through Chrysler to get the code activated and try different dealers. I am not as familier with the 2012 but wiith a trim level as high as yours if there was a factory powerfold option in 2012 I would not think that Chrysler would have a problem putting it in your truck for you. You just need to find the right dealer and that is the biggest pain.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 09-12s ever had power fold mirrors. I think that was a 13+ thing.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not sure on the 09 to 12 trucks. If it was a 2013 to 2016 they can be added by installing the master switch replacing both door modules and having the LER code flashed to your truck if you have have a trim level that came with power the folding mirrors option. Sorry I'm not sure about the 2012. I could not get the LER code flashed to my 2014 Express so I just wired mine in and have two micro switches installed in the driver door recess. It is not that difficult to just install your own switches. I actualy preferr mine more because I can control each mirror individually. I think I also read that there is a company making power folding mirrors with the switch assembly but I'm not sure who it was. This is a picture of the two switches I installed so you can see how I did mine. I just used two momitary 6 pole switches and wired them to reverese polarity. Very simlpe to do. The hardest part is running the wiring through the the factory door harness for a clean look. Hope this gives you some ideas.

That's pretty cool. I would love the wiring schematic on this.
I'm pretty decent at wiring so this wouldn't be to bad..

Finding mirrors would be a PITA I think though.