McGaughy's coils issue - uneven stance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StreetRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys, new here and first post. I have a 2005 Ram RCSB 2wd that has the MCG deluxe 2/4.5 kit on it. The spindles only gave me about a 1" drop in front, so I recently decided I was going to go ahead and install 2" McGaughy's drop coils. I had a local guy put in the coils today and now the passenger side is sitting about 1/2" higher. I've heard that sometimes one spring is a little taller to compensate for the gas tank and I'm wondering if that is the case and maybe he installed them on the wrong side? Or is it normal to have some variance/unevenness with the drop coils? It's frustrating.

I attached a pic of the current stance, the rear is just MCG flip kit on the lowest setting with OL springs removed. It's pretty dumped in the front (only 2" of gap with 275/45/20's) and now it actually seems to have more gap in the rear, I'm thinking because the weight is towards the front. I'd appreciate any help...

20180628_201437.jpg

Last edited:

Cabrera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All spindles should automatically give you 2” in the front. To be honest with you that looks like a 4” upfront now. The front is heavier because of the engine weight. And as far as the rear goes, did you use the shackles that came with the flip kit? If so, you are at about 4.5 like the kit stated. If you keep your factory shackles you’ll sit at 6” drop in the rear. And in most cases you will need to notch the frame. Hope this helps. Good luck on your build bro. Here’s mine at a 5/9

A9485E3A-39E6-4682-A7E8-9C0EEE86332D.jpeg

28D6B7E3-3812-45A4-A451-E5C5BAEC5105.jpeg

E47A53D0-6ECE-41C5-9C78-0A7D7D0D9506.jpeg

Cabrera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, new here and first post. I have a 2005 Ram RCSB 2wd that has the MCG deluxe 2/4.5 kit on it. The spindles only gave me about a 1" drop in front, so I recently decided I was going to go ahead and install 2" McGaughy's drop coils. I had a local guy put in the coils today and now the passenger side is sitting about 1/2" higher. I've heard that sometimes one spring is a little taller to compensate for the gas tank and I'm wondering if that is the case and maybe he installed them on the wrong side? Or is it normal to have some variance/unevenness with the drop coils? It's frustrating.

I attached a pic of the current stance, the rear is just MCG flip kit on the lowest setting with OL springs removed. It's pretty dumped in the front (only 2" of gap with 275/45/20's) and now it actually seems to have more gap in the rear, I'm thinking because the weight is towards the front. I'd appreciate any help...

View attachment 132506
Forgot to tag you lol

OP
OP
StreetRam

StreetRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup it's a 4" front drop, MCG spindles and coils. The issue I'm having is since I've had the coils installed it sits 1/2" higher on the passenger side...well, there is a 1/2" more gap. It does need an alignment done, I'm hoping that's my issue. But I'm wondering if both drop coils are the same height.

Cabrera

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup it's a 4" front drop, MCG spindles and coils. The issue I'm having is since I've had the coils installed it sits 1/2" higher on the passenger side...well, there is a 1/2" more gap. It does need an alignment done, I'm hoping that's my issue. But I'm wondering if both drop coils are the same height.
Springs should be same height but you have to also consider that on the driver side you have all that extra weight from the battery and other accessories just like in the rear you have to consider the fact that the gas tank sits on that side as well. A drop kit won’t always be accurate. Most trucks always have a lean on them.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Have you removed the steel cups? If you have'nt then most likely you are sitting on the bumps.

OP
OP
StreetRam

StreetRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I removed the rubber, but not the metal cups yet. But it clears, there's about a fingers width of space. The drivers side has slightly more camber, I'm going to get it aligned this week and see if it helps even out the gap at all. After talking to some import stance guys it sounds like it will.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Knock the cups off and mount bumps to control the compression.