MDS Already Bugging Me.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep thinking about it, you'll get it eventually. No part of this is difficult. You were nearly there... like almost had it.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the gear select buttons to disable MDS most of the time I drive our Ram. It's too hilly around here, all the MDS does is on and off, on and off, on and off. Between the terrain, Ram's weight and 3.92 gearing MDS ain't worth much to me. Maybe people who live in flatter country see more benefit from it.

I will say the feature works well on my Charger R/T. Got 28MPG highway on a recent road trip. Lighter vehicle and better gearing for economy.

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Imagine judging every product of industry this way.. or why only MDS specifically and not transmissions, fuel injection, tires, nav (you don't need to figure out how to fold your android auto maps like a 1981 map...) ..

Just specifically MDS. For some reason. :p
I figured that was obvious...I really don't like MDS. ;) I have the same aversion to stop/start but that was a lot easier to permanently disable.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Don't get me wrong. I love my new Ram. It's just that crawling around town in ECO mode I can both feel and hear it lugging along on 4 cyls. I just can't get it out of my mind that in the long run it just won't be good for it. I'm pretty old school and that always meant don't lug your engine. So I am sort of making it a point now of taking it out of ECO mode, at least for around town. Besides, trading in the old Tundra has improved the gas mileage no matter how you look at it.
My 17 Ram 5.7 has the eco mode and its so smooth you can only tell by the green light. I have 141,800 miles and had no problems. Oil changes every 6,000 miles, and high idle hours.

Skyjockey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Warlock 4x4
Engine
3.6L
Don't get me wrong. I love my new Ram. It's just that crawling around town in ECO mode I can both feel and hear it lugging along on 4 cyls. I just can't get it out of my mind that in the long run it just won't be good for it. I'm pretty old school and that always meant don't lug your engine. So I am sort of making it a point now of taking it out of ECO mode, at least for around town. Besides, trading in the old Tundra has improved the gas mileage no matter how you look at it.
I had my Hemi for 7 years with MDS I can honestly say I never even noticed it. I think it's not flat enough in MA for it to ever kick in but that was a 2012 with 6sp auto??

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will use the button to keep the rev up a bit , helps it warm up a bit I think.
You can always just put your foot down , does the same thing, but then you have the nagger in the radio and "her" nagging again.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Our 2019 Laramie runs in any # of cylinders it cares to. I have literally never noticed it unless I look at the dash light. It shifts as needed. I'm oblivious as to what gear it is in. I floor it when I feel like it and I feel like it a lot lol. I never feel it is bogging down. It simply shifts.
Just drive it like you stoled it

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I had my Hemi for 7 years with MDS I can honestly say I never even noticed it. I think it's not flat enough in MA for it to ever kick in but that was a 2012 with 6sp auto??

I've had 3 MDS equipped Dodge/Ram vehicles, 2 personal trucks and a work car. The only one that is noticeable is the 2500 Power Wagon, and maybe a bit more so with the rock rails attached to the frame. I can feel a vibration at 30-45mph or so when it kicks in. No difference on the highway, and while it is noticeable it's not a real big deal to me. Still smooth AF for a truck this size.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
While on this subject, does anyone out there know if the MDS solenoids energize or de energize to load? If they de energize to load am thinking that one could just disconnect the wire to the MDS solenoids to permanently disable it as I always disable it with the transmission selector buttons.
As far as the subject of dynamic compression there is a good article in the Harley Davidson forums about cam timing. Early closing of the intake valve will make the biggest change in dynamic compression at low RPM giving better low end where as a later intake valve closing low end suffers more due to a lower dynamic compression but at higher rpm a later intake valve closing results in a more completely filled cylinder which results in higher dynamic compression at higher revs. That is where VVT is advantages as can get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just disconnecting the MDS solenoids is only part of it. You would still have the fuel and spark for those cyls that the ECU controls, as an issue to still deal with.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nobody who understands the phrase dynamic compression ratio is in a hurry to delete MDS.
You just may be correct.
That said, the "other" guys (GM, Ford) mitigate the harshness of transition back and forth to 4/8 cylinder operation employ TCC slip at ambulatory rates in order to buffer harshness.
this really reduces lifespan of the Torque converter and transmission life.
In rudimentary terms: If one wants 4 cylinders, a Corolla or equivalent is available.
I'm fully aware of "CAFE" standards as mandated by big brother. I'm also aware that on most trucks, one can override this inane function.

Snoopy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The “modern” Hemi is a design failure! V plan is to flat, you dont get the windage needed to sling oil to the top of the engine is 1 main problem. I have Never seen sooo many Hemi engines with rusted lifters. Plus the camshaft and vvt/msd just contributes to the oiling problem. This engines top end is starving for oil! I dont care how many times you change it with whatever X brand of high dollar oil.
My 2$

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just disconnecting the MDS solenoids is only part of it. You would still have the fuel and spark for those cyls that the ECU controls, as an issue to still deal with.
That is true, I did not think of that. Guess will just keep using the button to deactivate it as is about a thousand bucks to have a shop re program the computer.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The “modern” Hemi is a design failure! V plan is to flat, you dont get the windage needed to sling oil to the top of the engine is 1 main problem. I have Never seen sooo many Hemi engines with rusted lifters. Plus the camshaft and vvt/msd just contributes to the oiling problem. This engines top end is starving for oil! I dont care how many times you change it with whatever X brand of high dollar oil.
My 2$
Since the Hellcats have oil squirters for the pistons / pins, why couldn't something similar be done for the 5.7 lifters / cam? Perhaps even something aftermarket using the excess supply of oil when the hellcat pump is used.