Metal pipe on passenger side of frame

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnyxDrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.0
Hello all!

I bought a 99 RAM 2500 with the 8L V10 under the hood. It's been a great truck, but it makes some strange engine noise under certain circumstances. I finally got under the truck with someone in the cab to rev the engine up, and I noticed the noise is very likely coming from a metal pipe that comes out near the exhaust on the passenger side. It's around 3/4-1" in diameter, and you can feel a lot of air coming out of it while the engine is running. I did some research and found that this engine doesn't seem to have an EGR system, as I was expecting it was a bypass for that. The previous owner had chopped up the exhaust and I also expect that this line was once plumbed into the exhaust. It's next to impossible to find any info on this on the internet, so figured I would hope someone here would know what this is, and if it should be plumbed into the exhaust?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That is an AIR pipe. Air Injection came on all V10s to reduce emissions. The piping likely runs from an air pump on the engine to the cats (or was supposed to).

OP
OP
O

OnyxDrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10 8.0
Great, thanks for the response. I did some searching, and it seems this is often bi-passed or removed completely. I will be doing that shortly!

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yep. It's only used for emissions purposes to get the exhaust cleaner on the V10s as they use so much fuel.

I don't know if it will do it, but your PCM might puke up a code at you after a while for it being gone. However since it seems it's been disconnected for a while, and it hasn't you likely have nothing to worry about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441