01 Ram Clicking under dash, passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wile E Coyote Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
As the title states, I have a clicking noise under the passenger side of the dash. It's electrical, occurs whether the engine is on or off so long as the key is in the on or accessory position. I felt around the HVAC box and was unable to feel anything. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wile E Coyote Jr

Wile E Coyote Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Kinda found the issue.

I believe it's the bend door actuator. If I turn the knob either all the way cold or all the way hot, it's fine. You can here the door move, but there's no clicking. If I put it anywhere in-between, the noise is there and doesn't stop.

Would this most likely be an issue with the actuator, or the HVAC controls?

Reactions: Mop

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a guess on my part, but I'd say it's either the actuator or the blend door or both. I had both replaced in my 2001 because the part of the door that the actuator connected to had broken off.

OP
OP
Wile E Coyote Jr

Wile E Coyote Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just a guess on my part, but I'd say it's either the actuator or the blend door or both. I had both replaced in my 2001 because the part of the door that the actuator connected to had broken off.
Do I have to remove the dash to replace those components?

RodeoRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately, I think you will at least have to rotate it down to get to the ductwork. I took mine to the dealer to have it repaired so I can't say for certain. I think that was after I had replaced the upper dash pad by myself, and I wasn't about to do that again or replace the heater core singlehanded. There used to be some YT videos or elsewhere about doing that work that you may find useful.

Mop

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do I have to remove the dash to replace those components?
The Actuator can be removed without removing the dash. It's close to the floor, not the most fun thing to do. I pulled my carpet away from the duct. I made a straight slit in the rubber flooring for room. Using a tiny screwdriver, and bring it down.
The plastic hinge is probably crumbled. Order a Heater Treater, follow directions, and it should be fine.
The blend doors are behind the dash, but most likely, it's the actuator.