Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metallic buzzing noise

Discussion in 'Exterior' started by texasfan88, Apr 5, 2021.

Sponsored By: BAK Factory Outlet
  1. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Oh okay. Unfortunately, that method won't work for me because the noise just comes up randomly whenever the hell it wants to. I can set the cruise at 75 mph and not hear it for miles and then suddenly it comes on and lasts for maybe a few seconds and then goes away. I could even drive on a particular road one day, going a certain speed and hear it clear as day and then later on, drive that exact same road, going the exact same speed and not hear it at all. At low speeds, it sounds like a rattling sound and then at highway speeds it's that buzzing noise. It's almost as if a piece of metal somewhere that I can't seem to locate has broken loose and every now and then, gets caught in between something and causes the noise. Anyway, I'm taking it into a shop on Monday so they can check to see if anything might be worn or loose that I'm not seeing.

2. RGAS

RGAS Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Post if you find problem because it sounds like it still may be similar to my issue. It may be that whatever is loose for you may be same for me but not as loose.

texasfan88 likes this.
  3. VA-RAM

VA-RAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Laramie / 2020 Laramie
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Just curious...but I noticed you said you could "set the cruise at 75 mph and not hear it for miles and then suddenly it comes on and lasts for maybe a few seconds and then goes away." and "drive on a particular road one day, going a certain speed and hear it clear as day and then later on, drive that exact same road, going the exact same speed and not hear it at all."
    I'm just wondering if you have tried to eliminate the climate control system. Have you noticed if this is happening at some set temp/fan speed on your AC/Heat system and as it is kicking on /off, correlates to the sound your hearing?
    Just a shot in dark, but it may be exhaust related as another post suggested, but it might be related to the compressor/heating system kicking on /off.

Let us know if you figure it out!!

texasfan88 likes this.
  4. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Hmm I hadn't thought about that but that actually could make sense. I understand that a loose or broken heat shield is the most common cause of these types of noises and it very well may be what's causing it but I would think that if that were the case, I would hear it all the time. I'm taking the truck in on Monday to get it looked at so I suppose in the meantime, what I can do is drive for a bit without any of the climate control on and just see if the noise comes on or not. If it doesn't, then that potentially might be the issue. I'll keep you all updated.

VA-RAM likes this.
  5. texasfan88

texasfan88 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Still trying to determine where the noise is coming from but can anyone tell me what this is for? I don’t want to make any assumptions but I wonder if it’s possible that as the truck is in motion, the vibrations from the engine and the exhaust are causing this plastic covering to move around, causing the intermittent rattling noise at low speeds, which then turns into a buzzing noise at higher speeds. If it’s supposed to be there, I’ll leave it on and use something to reduce the noise (wd40 or whatever) but if doesn’t serve any purpose, I don’t see why I can’t take it off.