Might be buying another 1st gen Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I might be buying another 1st gen Ram,a 1984 W150.Co worker at work said his mom's side of the family is selling it,grandfather died and her family including herself decided to sell it,Two tone,a blue and white with 85,000 original miles on it and no rust on it.Has the 360 in it with an automatic,everything still works on it including the 4x4.Interior is clean inside with zero rips and tearsDid show pictures of it to me on his phone Tuesday and told him to tell his mom and her family I might be interested in it.Said come by this weekend to look at it giving me his mom's phone number.This co worker knew I would be interested in it knowing I love Dodge trucks.Going to see it tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What ^^^he^^^ said!

OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Found this one has been taken care of very well.Has new hoses,belts and water pump replaced in March.Prospector package too.Found out his grandfather never driven it in winter time too.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
you can never have enough old dodge trucks. I have 4 as old as a 72 and new as a 92. with a 5th being an 01 2500 thrown in for good measure. of course only one of them currently runs.

post up some pics if you end up getting it. it sounds pretty nice so far.

OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did buy it,loved it during the test drive.I was impressed,only thing I have do to it is have a set of tires put on.Not much tread left on the showing the wear bars wearing evenly.Pick it up tomorrow and did hand me the title.Will put it in my name on online since the SOS is closed due to the shut down which sucks.A friend of mine has videos of the older car commercials.He found one for this one after I bought it,

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did buy it,loved it during the test drive.I was impressed,only thing I have do to it is have a set of tires put on.Not much tread left on the showing the wear bars wearing evenly.Pick it up tomorrow and did hand me the title.Will put it in my name on online since the SOS is closed due to the shut down which sucks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
sweet. post pics when you get it. if it is carburated try to find a place that sell ethanol free fuel. it will usually be a bit more expensive than normal fuel but usually it better for the carb and can sometimes result in a bit better fuel mileage.

OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
sweet. post pics when you get it. if it is carburated try to find a place that sell ethanol free fuel. it will usually be a bit more expensive than normal fuel but usually it better for the carb and can sometimes result in a bit better fuel mileage.
It is carburated,I will keep a bottle of the Lucas additive just in case I don't find any ethanol free gas.Do have to put a ballast resistor in it,came back and tried to start it again not wanting to start.I have a box full of them and is easy replace

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i personally don't put any faith in those additives. project farm tried that crap and it seemed to do absolutely nothing. if you have to run the e10 crap it is what it is but if ethanol free is available it is better for the carb. i use to run ethanol free in my 81 all the time when it was carbed and it would start good no matter what. it could be -20*C and it would still start like a fuel injected vehicle or sit in the parking lot at work 10 hours and still start with no choke like i had just shut the engine off a few minutes ago.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
also i just thought i would throw it out there that even if the ballast resister was bad it should still try to start. the ballast resister is bypassed when trying to start so if it didn't want to start or didn't even try it is likely something else like a possible carb issue.

OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
also i just thought i would throw it out there that even if the ballast resister was bad it should still try to start. the ballast resister is bypassed when trying to start so if it didn't want to start or didn't even try it is likely something else like a possible carb issue.
It was not fuel,the ballast resistor is no good.Tested it and found it was that

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 85 W150 with the 360, and thought it was one of the nicest trucks I ever owned. The only negative, it was a gas sucking beast.

OP
OP
M

MikaR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I did,found the service records underneath the seat