I regret buying a RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@HighDesertRam

FYI, I just called a local dealership in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to confirm the price and availability for Mopar p/n 68444169AB.

The p/n has been updated to Mopar 68606435AB and is available for $350 CDN, orders limited to 1 per week per dealership.

I'd be confirming the required p/n for your vehicle and start calling dealerships.

The parts guy in Ottawa said he would ship to the US but has no process in place for customs brokerage (cross-border paperwork).

If he's willing to ship stateside, surely another US dealership would be willing to ship to your preferred dealership or to you directly. Personally, I'd just buy the part, have it shipped to my home, and then visit your local dealership with the part in hand.

They should reimburse your costs or maybe they won't and it will cost you a couple of hundred bucks. At least your truck will be repaired and you can get back to enjoying it again.

CMV157

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the number of recalls is worrisome, I'm not sure a better direction to turn. Ford has been awful and even the beloved Toyota has had it's share on the new Tundra. At the end of the day if a tailgate recall and failed attempt at getting it fixed the first time and parts shortages hampers your spirits enough to not want the vehicle, I'm not sure you will find happiness anywhere these days. Frustrating for sure but it seems to be the norm these days. For all makes. I should hook you up with my buddy who has an F150 Powerboost. Problem after problem.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That’s because most of the people posting in this thread have absolutely no clue what the recalled relay is, and why it’s hard to have the recall for it done.
There’s no such aftermarket grid heater relay to replace the factory one with, so the whole “void warranty with aftermarket parts” discussions are moot.
No matter how many mopar parts supplier sites say that they are in stock, they are not available to buy on your own outside of the dealership obtaining one to perform the recall. You can place the order, but it will get kicked.
That’s why it takes so long for this recall, and why the recall repair availability was released in tiers- dealer stock 2023 inventory first, then 2023 owners, then 2022, then 2021. It’s because the replacement relay that fixes the issue didn’t exist when the potential fire issue was discovered (and subsequently owners informed), and there’s no way any manufacturer can crank out 400,000+ redesigned grid heater relays overnight.
So, they have to take the supply of new relays that they receive, and distribute them to all the dealerships at a rate of 1-2 a week. Those who have small rural dealerships nearby might have a better chance at getting the recall done sooner than large dealerships because they might not go through their weekly relay allotment as fast.
I hate to disagree with you, Jimmy, as I know you know your stuff. But I ordered one early this week through Mopar parts online. Received it the next day from a Ram dealer about 4 hours away. Link shows there is 1 available, which is the same as it said when I ordered mine.

I think it is probably wrong that dealers are selling these outright when they no doubt have quite a waiting list for the repair. But my local Ram dealer told me even though I've been on the waiting list for a while, it could be another 6-7 months. I'm not overly worried about it, but that's just too long to wait for a fix to a possible fire hazard, so I decided to get the part myself and then work the reimbursement for it through the link on the recall letter.

I could easily install it myself, but am letting the Ram dealer do it. That way it's all documented and they can't blame me for any future problems with it.

Attachments

• 20230808_135425.jpg
    20230808_135425.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230808_135431.jpg
    20230808_135431.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 12

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
@HighDesertRam

FYI, I just called a local dealership in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to confirm the price and availability for Mopar p/n 68444169AB.

The p/n has been updated to Mopar 68606435AB and is available for $350 CDN, orders limited to 1 per week per dealership.
They can order one per week, but that does not mean they are getting one a week. My local dealer parts dept told me they have a bunch of the relays on order now, but are not receiving many of them.

MarionRMorriso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I first bought my truck in 2022, I thought it was wonderful. Beautifully styled, great paint job, very comfortable ride. Then the recalls started. First was the tailgate, which would open by itself at odd moments. When it happened the first time, I thought maybe I had done something wrong. I had just finished taking my gear out of the truck and pushed the garage door button on the wall next to the kitchen door. I always stay in the garage until the door is almost closed. I turned to look at the truck and the tailgate had unexpectedly dropped. The door just kissed the edge of the tailgate without causing any damage, although it could have been much worse.

The recall came out and I had the truck serviced and supposedly the issue was fixed. Last night I came home from my jiu jitsu class and went to load some gear for an early morning trip to the range. As I walked outside with another load of gear, the tailgate opened on it's own....

This morning I called the dealer regarding the status of my order for the heater relay for my diesel. Originally, I was told that my part would be there in mid-May of this year. Then I was told June. Then the end of July. Today when I called I was told I am number 119 on the list. That means I am two years away from getting the repair done. I am unwilling to park my truck outdoors for the next two years.

I wish I had never purchased this truck.
I hear you bro.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
When I first bought my truck in 2022, I thought it was wonderful. Beautifully styled, great paint job, very comfortable ride. Then the recalls started. First was the tailgate, which would open by itself at odd moments. When it happened the first time, I thought maybe I had done something wrong. I had just finished taking my gear out of the truck and pushed the garage door button on the wall next to the kitchen door. I always stay in the garage until the door is almost closed. I turned to look at the truck and the tailgate had unexpectedly dropped. The door just kissed the edge of the tailgate without causing any damage, although it could have been much worse.

The recall came out and I had the truck serviced and supposedly the issue was fixed. Last night I came home from my jiu jitsu class and went to load some gear for an early morning trip to the range. As I walked outside with another load of gear, the tailgate opened on it's own....

This morning I called the dealer regarding the status of my order for the heater relay for my diesel. Originally, I was told that my part would be there in mid-May of this year. Then I was told June. Then the end of July. Today when I called I was told I am number 119 on the list. That means I am two years away from getting the repair done. I am unwilling to park my truck outdoors for the next two years.

I wish I had never purchased this truck.
Sorry to hear this.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They can order one per week, but that does not mean they are getting one a week. My local dealer parts dept told me they have a bunch of the relays on order now, but are not receiving many of them.

Agreed but, sitting around complaining about it is guaranteed to get you nothing but more misery.

The parts guy I talked to said the delivery was the next day, so they must be in stock somewhere up here.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know you're in a different class of truck, but Ford just issued a recall for 870,000 F150's.

The grass is always greener...

CRS1968

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you don’t like it, sell it. If you can’t afford to sell it, fix it. If you don’t want to fix it, well sorry for your negative experience. I had a 2013 Laramie with cracked exhaust manifold bolts. We fixed them. My son drives it and it has 200K miles. I just bought a 2023 Limited. Nicest vehicle I’ve ever owned. There isn’t a nicer truck made in my opinion. Good luck!

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a safety recall for the heater relay:

--------------
The intake air heater relay on about 137,946 of the above vehicles may experience an engine compartment fire originating from an electrical short in the Intake Air Heater Relay, which can potentially lead to a vehicle fire with the ignition in the “ON” or “OFF” position. A vehicle fire can result in increased risk of occupant injury and/or injury to persons outside the vehicle, as well as property damage.
--------------

Did the dealer offer to at least disconnect the relay? Or is this a catch-22 situation where the dealer can't disable an emissions item like this relay but you continuing to drive the truck with the relay is a safety hazzard, but your safety takes a back seat to some hokey emissions rules?

Regardless if the ignition is on of off?

I wouldnt want this relay hooked up. I'd be in there with a pair of wire cutters if the dealer won't do it. I thought it's bad enough to park your EV in your garage and try to have a good night's sleep worring about your house burning down in the middle of the night, but an ICE vehicle causing the same worry? What a load of crap. I love my '01 Dodge Ram, I sleep very well with it parked in my garage.

-------------
For all vehicles involved, check Engine Run Hours in the Instrument Panel Cluster. If total engine hours are LESS than 600, perform Section A: Grid
Heater Temperature Test Procedure. If the total engine hours are GREATER than 600, this recall can be marked complete on 2022 model year vehicles and can be returned to the customer.
---------------

Has the dealer checked the number of hours on your engine? If you've got more than 600 hours run time, and your truck hasn't burst into flames, then you're good. If not, the dealer can do the heater test.

Last edited:

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
-------------
For all vehicles involved, check Engine Run Hours in the Instrument Panel Cluster. If total engine hours are LESS than 600, perform Section A: Grid
Heater Temperature Test Procedure. If the total engine hours are GREATER than 600, this recall can be marked complete on 2022 model year vehicles and can be returned to the customer.
---------------

Has the dealer checked the number of hours on your engine? If you've got more than 600 hours run time, and your truck hasn't burst into flames, then you're good. If not, the dealer can do the heater test.
Where did you get this 600 hour quote? The recall letter I have says:
"FCA will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this, your dealer will replace the suspect relay."

I've not heard of the 600 hour thing until this post.

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Also mentioned here:

This recall came out in October 2021. The OP claims to have bought the truck in 2022. Chrysler was not allowed to sell new inventory unless the recall was applied. This situation needs to be looked at.

----------------
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these
vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
------------------

Last edited:

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Also mentioned here:

This recall came out in October 2021. The OP claims to have bought the truck in 2022. Chrysler was not allowed to sell new inventory unless the recall was applied. This situation needs to be looked at.

----------------
IMPORTANT: Some of the involved vehicles may be in dealer new vehicle inventory. Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these
vehicles before retail delivery. Dealers should also consider this requirement to apply to used vehicle inventory and should perform this recall on vehicles in for service. Involved vehicles can be determined by using the VIP inquiry process.
------------------
That’s the older first recall for the same relay, which did not solve the problem, so they released the second (current) recall that the OP has.
Here’s the current grid heater relay recall:

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For some reason I've always found it interesting that with all the comments from friends and acquaintances who own or have owned Ford, GM, Nissan, or Toyota trucks that have issues (and sometimes serious issues), they all seem to have a much higher level of acceptance or tolerance for problems, and never reach the same level of b.i.t.c.h.i.n.g as Ram owners.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95790 miles.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For some reason I've always found it interesting that with all the comments from friends and acquaintances who own or have owned Ford, GM, Nissan, or Toyota trucks that have issues (and sometimes serious issues), they all seem to have a much higher level of acceptance or tolerance for problems, and never reach the same level of b.i.t.c.h.i.n.g as Ram owners.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 95790 miles.
Oh how true. Arrow got the apple, good shot William Tell, lol. :33::Big Laugh:

Mopar~Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Safety Recall 13A - Intake Air Heater Relay
Part Number / Description
CSTP13A1AA Relay, Heater Grid

That PN I see for sale online at various vendors for $40 to $60.
If you order that PN from Ram, you will get a PN 68606435AB relay. The one I bought this week was $189 for the part, a little over $210 delivered.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If you order that PN from Ram, you will get a PN 68606435AB relay. The one I bought this week was $189 for the part, a little over $210 delivered.
Wowzers that's a big jump in price and IMO bull :poop: , the new improved units were listed for around $80.00 a few months ago....

fitz7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2019 ram 1500 was out of commission 6 months as my rear diff cap flew off on a 16 hr drive grenading my rear diff at 47,000 km. 2 months with my truck at a dealership waiting for parts and i pay 500$ to have it towed to me and within 3 days i hear noise. Took it to my local dealership this time and they try to say nothing is wrong. I insist they check the diff and if im wrong ill pay for the inspection. I was right, the rear diff had metal bits but dodge tried to say it was cupped winter tires b4 i guided their hand to look at the rear diff. 3 weeks later i hear noise... both rear wheel bearings went. I feel like multiple bad repairs have somehow f'd my axle. Then on top of that, 200km after my rear diff was replaced rhe 2nd time my AC startes hissing under the dashboard and wont produce cold air. A few weeks later my fan with heater on will now make the same hissing noise. Thats a 1500$ repair minimum requiring taking off the dash. I have owned used vehicles my entire life and never had as much downtime with repairs and problems as i have with my new vehicle.

Fca said they would call me back in an hour and still no call 3 weeks later. So now i am making it my job to get word out to never buy a ram. And when your ram is broken they have the worat trade in value and depreciate higher than any other truck.

So to update... i got ahold of fca finally on my 30 min lunch break and the customer service rep said he would transfer me and then i was given a survey option but then they hung up on me. I was on hold 20 minutes just to talk to a human that hung up! I call again at 3pm and im told the case managerw leave at 5pm eastern time so im sol but he listened to the issues i have with my truck and how i think bad repairs may have damaged my drive train. He was blown away by the issues i had on my truck inclusing the fact my AC also failed. He said he would elevate my claim ans have an FCA case manager contact me at noon as a prioeity as i work 6 days a week and can only call during work hours. I get to my phone today and no call for 5 minutes so i call FCA and im on hold 40 minutes (10 minutes i to work time). I call again at 3 and get through to someone. They say i should be calling the dealership and not FCA and that the other cuatomer service rep has no business telling me what he did and that my fight is only with the dealership doing the repairs. He then verbatim repeated the remaining warranty periods on my truck and said good bye. I can honestly say i will never buy another FCA vehicle in my life. They are trying to drain my warranty with bad repairs until i have to sell the vehicle at a hige loss with major issues.