MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
When I started the truck this morning the little engine diagram stayed lit. Manual says if it blinks I have a serious problem but if it just stays lit I should take it to the dealer at my convenience. No blinking, just stays lit. I hooked up my little OBD and it didn't show any codes. Manual says it might have something to do with emissions. Any good guesses out there or should I just take it to the dealer? Thanks

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
A lot OBD teaders can only read the general "P" (powertrain) error codes. There is also codes for most of the modules in the vehicle that can cause the MIL to illuminate.

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A lot OBD teaders can only read the general "P" (powertrain) error codes. There is also codes for most of the modules in the vehicle that can cause the MIL to illuminate.
That's kinda what I expected. My little OBD just isn't up to the task. I'll run it by the dealer at some point and see how serious it is. Seems to be running fine for now. Thank you for your response.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
A lot of the chain auto parts stores will read codes for free as well. Depending on what they are using they may get a more inclusive reading.

-K

OP
OP
Smokeybear01

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
UPDATE-After doing some research and talking to my neighbor whom still regrets trading his Dodge in for a Chevy suggested I run it by the autoparts store. But before I did that, I tried turning the ignition on and then off 5 times in a row without starting it. That reset it and I took it for a run and no MIL light. My neighbor ( he calls me a kid and I'm 70) said if it comes back on to put a piece of tape over it and ignore it. He's pushing 90 but looks and acts like a 50 yr old. All is good! :dancingpoop:

Reactions: kad

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat