Mirimoto 2stroke 3.0 LEDs in 2017 projector low, very disappointed need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mnorris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently installed Mirimoto 2stroke 3.0 LEDs in my 2017 ram w/projector headlights. I put them in the low beams. Man am I disappointed… I took out an old HID system that was in the truck when I bought it used. The HIDs were not good as far as visibility and had constant issues with flickering, very slow to come on, bulbs burned out etc. so I swapped for an LED set up (Mirimoto 2stroke 3.0) honestly didn’t want to run all the extra wiring with the HID and it was more cost effective. I’m sad to say my output and visibility is worse, way worse… there doesn’t seem to be bad dead spots or gaps they just don’t shine far at all and seem to be putting most of the light into the ground in front of the truck. I clocked the bulbs at 9&3. Headlights are level and installed where they are supposed to be . I swear it seems like the light being pushed is way too low (position). Am I missing something anyone else have this issue? Should I try clocking at 12&6? Any help is appreciated pretty bummed for spending $265 and feel I could’ve got better performance out of a halogen…

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Interesting. I installed LED's (don't recall the mfgr) in my projectors, replacing the halogens, and was like moving into daylight after using a candle to see in the dark.

LED's should absolutely be at 3 and 9. I put a dab of sealant on the flange (not the o-ring) to hold them in place.
I know you stated the headlights are level, but were they actually aimed and properly adjusted per standards?

OP
OP
M

Mnorris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there a procedure for aiming and leveling the headlights? There’s two bolts and they pop in in the back. Didn’t seem like there was a lot of play there to me. How did you ensure your headlights were set correctly?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leds are far less ideal than hids in projectors, so this isn't too surprising. About all that you can do is check to make sure the led bulbs are clocked correctly.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For aiming there is a hole with an arrow above each headlight that is the adjustment point.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You might just be disappointed in LED's in general? I find LED's have a laser-like projection up in front of my truck - there is lots of light on the ground and as you move vertically up and then suddenly there is a well defined black line where the light stops, there is no "spillage" for lack of a better term.

My halogens spilled more light all over the place and there wasn't that sharp cut off between light and dark. To be honest I'd prefer my old halogens back with a brighter bulb over the morimoto's LED's I'm running but I'm too lazy to swap them back out and I don't like the look of the halogen fixtures in the day time.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Is there a procedure for aiming and leveling the headlights?
There's just a vertical adjustment for the headlights, as mentioned using the screw through the fender hole.
valeoaimdiagramp1.jpg

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There's just a vertical adjustment for the headlights, as mentioned using the screw through the fender hole.
View attachment 528980
Also note: there is a "dot" on the headlight lens that indicates center. This assists in getting it correct.

Trick: after attaching socket to extension to reach the adjuster, add a wrap of tape on the socket to secure to extension so won't fall off and get lost inside fender. Don't ask how I know about this one.

OP
OP
M

Mnorris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you all for the help I will attempt to adjust the headlights tonight

OP
OP
M

Mnorris

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I began to adjust and the light started to move up then POP and they immediately fell back all the way down exact same thing on both sides. Used a hand screw driver, very little pressure maybe 5-10 rotations each side. The adjustment screw is just spinning in both directions and nothing is adjust it’s spinning very free it’s almost like the projector came out of the socket is this possible any ideas on fixing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ftank