mds lifter missing pins, rod bent

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Owennm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I know the pins don’t have to line up with the hole in the lifter, but has anyone had where they can’t see the pins at all? Just re-did the cam, lifters, etc… Fired it up and had a cyl 1 misfire. Turned out intake rod seriously bent up. Turned out brand new lifter for exhaust had no real resistance causing exhaust valve not to open, and to much pressure to allow intake valve to open, resulting in pushrod bending. At least that is what I have concluded.
Inspecting the failed lifter I can’t see the pins anywhere thru the hole. All the other lifters I’ve seen you can glimpse a part of pin.
Any thoughts?
I know those aren’t great pics.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpeg
    IMG_2823.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    84.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 30

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe, interesting thought on that.

The number one cause of bent rods after cam/lifter install was that one wasnt cupped right, either on install or was decupped by something hitting it before you buttoned it up. Happens here in a large % of cam jobs. But I like your idea better, not saying it's true, I just like the effort on the thought.

That aint no cheap bend, I'd say your idea is possible, sorry you have to go back and fix it.

OP
OP
O

Owennm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

The number one cause of bent rods after cam/lifter install was that one wasnt cupped right, either on install or was decupped by something hitting it before you buttoned it up. Happens here in a large % of cam jobs. But I like your idea better, not saying it's true, I just like the effort on the thought.

That aint no cheap bend, I'd say your idea is possible, sorry you have to go back and fix it.

Yeah, my first thought was rod not cupped right. However, I didn’t write what all I did to come up with this theory. When I first found the rod bent I went and bought a single rod and replaced it. Put it back together, checked it was cupped, rolled it over (no spark plugs=no compression) looked good. Didn’t pay attention to exhaust side. I put it back together. And had the same thing happen right away. I took valve cover back off found same exact rod bent. So I thought stuck valve or bad rocker cup? Both were fine. It wasn’t till a rotated motor and saw #1 exhaust valve and pushrod not moving till I realized it was the new lifter. So I was trying to think of why a bad exhaust lifter was causing an intake rod to bend? Has to be the pressure is to much to allow valve to open?
I really want to take lifter apart, but I am trying to get money back for the kit.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So my question would be how are you sure it is lifter instead of the lifter bore, and or lubrication issue on that bore? Do you have the old lifter in that bore, where sides scuffed? I am playing devils advocate, if I was lifter company that is what I would want to know. You don't want to try just putting back a new lifter in that spot? I wouldnt blame you, just asking.

Yes it isnt lubrication issue, it probably wouldnt fail like that so quick if it was.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, my first thought was rod not cupped right. However, I didn’t write what all I did to come up with this theory. When I first found the rod bent I went and bought a single rod and replaced it. Put it back together, checked it was cupped, rolled it over (no spark plugs=no compression) looked good. Didn’t pay attention to exhaust side. I put it back together. And had the same thing happen right away. I took valve cover back off found same exact rod bent. So I thought stuck valve or bad rocker cup? Both were fine. It wasn’t till a rotated motor and saw #1 exhaust valve and pushrod not moving till I realized it was the new lifter. So I was trying to think of why a bad exhaust lifter was causing an intake rod to bend? Has to be the pressure is to much to allow valve to open?
I really want to take lifter apart, but I am trying to get money back for the kit.
Out of curiousity who's lifters are you using,alot of the aftermarket lifters have a very poor rep.

OP
OP
O

Owennm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So my question would be how are you sure it is lifter instead of the lifter bore, and or lubrication issue on that bore? Do you have the old lifter in that bore, where sides scuffed? I am playing devils advocate, if I was lifter company that is what I would want to know. You don't want to try just putting back a new lifter in that spot? I wouldnt blame you, just asking.

Yes it isnt lubrication issue, it probably wouldnt fail like that so quick if it was.
So the lifter isn’t scuffed up at all, new or old one. I am putting it back together tomorrow, but I will scope the bore, and let you knowI pre soaked the new lifters for hours as suggested. But don’t remember how hard the lifter felt before install, but now I can fairly easily compress lifter, so that was my original question, has anyone seen an MDS lifter where you can’t see a pin at all? You can see pretty far in the hole, but can’t see any pins. All the MDS lifters I have seen you could see the pin somewhere.
Every thing looks good so, I will know more tomorrow. But plan on being vigilant about watching how things move while hand turning over. I plan on measuring movement on intake and exhaust rockers to compare.

OP
OP
O

Owennm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Out of curiousity who's lifters are you using,alot of the aftermarket lifters have a very poor rep.
They were labworks, the reviews were not bad on eBay where I had seen. But I did find one review saying they had issues after I had my issues.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
They were labworks, the reviews were not bad on eBay where I had seen. But I did find one review saying they had issues after I had my issues.
Guess if you have them,you might as well buy 1 new lifter and throw it back together. But they aren't what i'd call OEM quality lifters.

OP
OP
O

Owennm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess if you have them,you might as well buy 1 new lifter and throw it back together. But they aren't what i'd call OEM quality lifters.
Yeah, I honestly didn’t do my research on the MDS system before hand. Lesson learned. I had another issue I was dealing with and decided I would redo the cam and lifters while I was at it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Did you have the heads checked and re-machined?
Heads have nothing to do with the lifters,other then you have to remove them to get access to the lifters,in fact machining the heads could do more harm to the lifters if you don't check lifter preload / push rod length and rocker arm geometery after you've shaved the heads.

Last edited:

LoneStarHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bent pushrod is most likely due to mechanical interference. Piston to valve, bent valve, some other clearance issue.