misfiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh1523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I have a 1994 ram 1500 5.2l and It just started to act up yesterday. It started by when I would get up to around 2000rpm it would start to shake, bog and lose power for a few seconds. It sounds like a misfire but when i plugged it into the scanner it didn't show up on any of the codes.. Also when it idles the rpm's will keep changing from 750 to 400 and almost die. Would that also be a result of a cylinder misfire?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Welcome to the forum!

When was the last time you had a tune up? (Plugs, wires, fair filter..ect)

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
do you know or have you looked onto the plenum gasket issue? sounds alot like what I experienced before I fixed mine.

ever had spark plugs foul out? burn/go through alot of oil?

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
J

josh1523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
I had checked the plugs and wires a few months ago and they were still good but i am going to check them again tomorrow to see if any are bad..i havn't checked either of those sensors at all so that could possibly be it.. I don't have cats on now and i only have one o2 sensor and is running a bit lean, would that effect it at all?

ramthis9501

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
I'm with Cody on this one... The plenum issue causes a massive air leak in the intake manifold, mine did something similar before I fixed it but wasn't that bad. To check if your plenum gasket is blown or not, open up the throttle body blades and look down into the throat of the throttle body with a flashlight and see if there is pools of oil in there. If there is then your plenum is blown.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
tomorrow get to your throttle body, and open the valves and shine a line down the throat. if you see oil your plenum gasket is blown. once you find out if
that's the problem we can point you in the direction on how to fix it.

Tapatalk Addict

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I'm with Cody on this one... The plenum issue causes a massive air leak in the intake manifold, mine did something similar before I fixed it but wasn't that bad. To check if your plenum gasket is blown or not, open up the throttle body blades and look down into the throat of the throttle body with a flashlight and see if there is pools of oil in there. If there is then your plenum is blown.

beat me to it lol

Tapatalk Addict

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I have a feeling that's what it is, so you'll need a plenum repair kit, hughes engines online sells em, as well as another company with a name I can't remember. or if you wanna spend an extra buck...lol and get some performance you can get Hughes
air gap, fixes the problem, and increases performance. I love mine :p

Tapatalk Addict

Mopar1973Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996, 2002
Engine
1996 Dodge 1500 (V8-5.9L) & 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 (5.9L Cummins)

Also check vacuum hose for leaks too. Even a few cracked lines are enough to screw up the mixture and make it hard for the PCM to control the IAC enough to keep the O2 sensor happy. Like in my case I had the vacuum leak on the passenger side line and it was fouling out cylinder 6. (P0306)

OP
OP
J

josh1523

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2

I just checked inside the plenum and I didn't see any pools of oil but i saw what looked like sludge at the bottom. Would that also be because of a bad plenum gasket?