Update

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

55f250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, back when I first posted about the problems I have been having with my 2015 Ram 1500 Bog Horn I said : Loose gas cap indicator light came on, Small EVAP leak, EVAP system malfunction, #2 misfire detected.
I finally gave up and put my truck into the shop (can't crawl around on the ground like I once could). Because I had disconnected the battery there were no trouble codes for them to see so I explained what the issues were.
They were able to see the misfire, moved coils around and found intermittent injector, had all injectors replaced with induction flush/clean. My truck ran like new. Then, shortly after (couple days) loose gas cap indicator came back. I took it back to the shop and they found a vent hose that looked like a rodent had chewed on it. They replaced it, loose gas cap indicator still on ( they told me it would take a couple of days for it to clear) if there were not other issues. By the way they smoked tested and didn't find any other leaks.
Now there is something else going on since the new injectors were installed. When I first get in my truck to start it, it doesn't start right up like it did before. I turn the key to start, it continues to crank even if I let loose of the key. It will eventually start, this has never happened before, it has always started as soon as I turn the key to start. I've looked around here and saw where this might be an injector issue or fuel pump and relay. Guess it's back to the shop.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I turn the key to start, it continues to crank even if I let loose of the key. It will eventually start, this has never happened before, it has always started as soon as I turn the key to start.
The truck has what is known as Tip-Start, you just turn the key all the way to start and let go. The ECM will automatically crank the engine.
As for the delayed starting low fuel pressure, bad spark plug(s) or clogged injectors could be the culprit. A bad batch of gasoline could contribute to delayed starting.

OP
OP
55f250

55f250

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I didn't know about the "Tip-start", thanks! Fuel injectors were just replaced, spark plugs about 50k ago, bad gas always a possibility. The last time I went to start it I turned the key to the "on" position and waited a few seconds before turning to the start position and it started right away.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
The last time I went to start it I turned the key to the "on" position and waited a few seconds before turning to the start position and it started right away.
With that description, it could be a fuel pressure issue or possibly the fuel is draining back out of the injectors.
It's been a while since I started a gasser but I believe the Tip-Start feature has a pause to allow fuel pressure to build. I know the diesels do this and it also delays if the engine needs to pre-heat.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Like said above, sounds like it is bleeding down which your shop could test for. One of 2 things could be happening, an injector is leaking down and filling the intake runner or cylinder with raw fuel and/or its draining back to the tank.
When you first turn the key it primes the system. If the system is loaded with air it must push the air out through injector cycles so you get the long crank. It's always possible a new injector is bad so I would notify the shop that did the work so they can follow up.

fuelmotorsports

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't know about the "Tip-start", thanks! Fuel injectors were just replaced, spark plugs about 50k ago, bad gas always a possibility. The last time I went to start it I turned the key to the "on" position and waited a few seconds before turning to the start position and it started right away.
What type of injectors did you replace your old ones with?