Mopar brakes self destructed at 36k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, this is a first. 2 winters, and 36k and I’m greeted to this, driver side rear brakes hung up, got truck home. And this is what I find in my driveway and once torn apart
901ceb9a4b55511c3ee6f841e42510c9.jpg
2939619c8b24466de29930abc7bb0b31.jpg
111e6f4bcc18ef9e7d6265699386a6c0.jpg
9bc7f1f623c22824e4e4ea5ab0937f74.jpg
2ad9a92771f4637aa7270a25257cef09.jpg

Last photo actually has a small chunk of the inside portion of the rotor missing...

What in the ******** quality is this, I know salt tears **** apart, but brakes, after 2 ******* years!?!?!?!?! This is a damn safety hazard, what the **** FCA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Holy crap...never saw anything that bad that wasnt submerged in saltwater...

I know. It’s not like she’s never been washed either. I wash the truck often as I can, this is ********. No way I’m buying Mopar replacement parts to have this **** happen again 2 years from now

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have been up in New York and Pennsylvania in the wintertime back when I pulled ****** and goshdamn do they use a **** ton of salt on them roads up there. I hardly think that’s any excuse for a two-year old truck but dang. Have you consulted the dealer over that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have been up in New York and Pennsylvania in the wintertime back when I pulled ****** and goshdamn do they use a **** ton of salt on them roads up there. I hardly think that’s any excuse for a two-year old truck but dang. Have you consulted the dealer over that?

Not yet, When I posted this is when I found this (6pm on a Saturday). I’m expecting 0 from any dealer or Mopar/fca. As it’s a “wear item” and at 2 1/2 years old and 36k, I’ll have better chance flying a kite with 0 wind speed. I’m just not gonna buy Mopar parts. I’ll spend extra to get whatever is the best aftermarket rotors and pads

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I'm at 65,000 and 4 full winters on my 1500 still on stock pads and disc.
I was looking at them when I pulled the snow tires off last week and thinking I'd put new pads on this summer or maybe wait till fall when I put the snows back on.
But I see the other pads are rusted bad but not wore out.
Just rust and salt damage, it's a shame to see that.
This wondrous state and the drivers demanding clean roads in the winter.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm at 65,000 and 4 full winters on my 1500 still on stock pads and disc.
I was looking at them when I pulled the snow tires off last week and thinking I'd put new pads on this summer or maybe wait till fall when I put the snows back on.

I’d do it sooner rather then later after seeing this crap, I lost all trust in the oem brake parts now, this is ********! 60k truck and this is what we ******* get! This is something I’d expect to see from GM or even Ford

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something I’d expect from an Isuzu or Daihatsu maybe.
PM Nick@GotExhaust on the vendor side...I just installed a brake upgrade from him on mine last weekend. You prob want to go with a rotor with a good coating to protect from your highway department spraying Hydrofluoric Acid....

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked mine over fairly close when I pulled the tires of baking plates and pads didn't look that bad.
I do go thru the car wash at least weekly in the winter, I have an unlimited wash card so I take advantage of.
I do have almost an hours drive to get home from the car washes and I use silicone lubes on the door gaskets and wipe them down with a towel after washing, did have the tailgate freeze hard to the tonneau cover once this winter.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Something I’d expect from an Isuzu or Daihatsu maybe.
PM Nick@GotExhaust on the vendor side...I just installed a brake upgrade from him on mine last weekend. You prob want to go with a rotor with a good coating to protect from your highway department spraying Hydrofluoric Acid....

Yeah, I was thinking coated rotors, I just did some on my work car last year after I got it (a 2011 Toyota Corolla with 100k on the stock from day one rotors, and numerous years in the salt, and only washes it seen was from a car wash every other day I seemed, and the rotors were no where near this bad)

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I looked mine over fairly close when I pulled the tires of baking plates and pads didn't look that bad.
I do go thru the car wash at least weekly in the winter, I have an unlimited wash card so I take advantage of.
I do have almost an hours drive to get home from the car washes and I use silicone lubes on the door gaskets and wipe them down with a towel after washing, did have the tailgate freeze hard to the tonneau cover once this winter.

I was my truck about once a week in the winter. And had it uncoated (which I know doesn’t get the brakes) makes me wonder if ram changed vendors at some point and went with a cheaper Mexican grade steel or something

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That definitely seems premature depending on your driving habits. I have 58k on my front and rears and just started getting a squeak last couple of weeks. My front brakes got replaced with the front axle when some a-hole ran into it in a parking lot with only 500 miles on it. [emoji849] so essentially all original, mopar did the front replacements. It tows a camper and car trailer a few times a year but that is it.

I have worked on trucks all my life and generally GM was the worst with this kind of issue. Typically the rear only does 30% of the braking. The lack of use is sometimes worse than overuse. You may have just got a **** lot of rotors made on Friday afternoon. You said it was seized? Overheating will cause this rapid deterioration as well. You can go around with the dealer bit they will probably just blame you.

Like you already said, get a good set of aftermarket pads and rotors, most can be had with a warranty these days.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not yet, When I posted this is when I found this (6pm on a Saturday). I’m expecting 0 from any dealer or Mopar/fca. As it’s a “wear item” and at 2 1/2 years old and 36k, I’ll have better chance flying a kite with 0 wind speed. I’m just not gonna buy Mopar parts. I’ll spend extra to get whatever is the best aftermarket rotors and pads

Well, unless you have extended factory warranty, calling the dealer ain’t gonna get ya nowhere since you’re probably past the 36,000-mile mark.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
That definitely seems premature depending on your driving habits. I have 58k on my front and rears and just started getting a squeak last couple of weeks. My front brakes got replaced with the front axle when some a-hole ran into it in a parking lot with only 500 miles on it. [emoji849] so essentially all original, mopar did the front replacements. It tows a camper and car trailer a few times a year but that is it.

I have worked on trucks all my life and generally GM was the worst with this kind of issue. Typically the rear only does 30% of the braking. The lack of use is sometimes worse than overuse. You may have just got a **** lot of rotors made on Friday afternoon. You said it was seized? Overheating will cause this rapid deterioration as well. You can go around with the dealer bit they will probably just blame you.

Like you already said, get a good set of aftermarket pads and rotors, most can be had with a warranty these days.

It was fine when I went on my trip back in the beginning of March

b685c006dbf95d75bdf173c83de6c945.jpg

But, after I got back, washed the truck up real good, and drove it to the diesel station (20 miles round trip) and parked the truck, all was fine, today I go out. Fire the truck up and let it warm up, put it in drive and she didn’t want to move freely, had to get on the gas to move and something. Just didn’t feel “right” going down the road. 2 miles down the road I pull off and you can smell brakes, and the left rear was freakin hot. Let it cool down. And putted home. And parked the truck, and that’s where the pictures took over

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Well, unless you have extended factory warranty, calling the dealer ain’t gonna get ya nowhere since you’re probably past the 36,000-mile mark.

I’m like a 100 miles from the 36k mark, to be honest,
I’m not even probably going to take this up with the dealer, I’ll just be wasting my breath and time

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats a shame, I had a 2002 Dakota that seemed to seize up a front rotor every rear with no warning, tear up the pads and rotors getting it back home.
I hope that RAM is easier to change then the fronts on my 2000 Chevy K2500 just finished them two weeks ago. One rotor had rusted so bad it collapsed and the sides seperated. Have to remove the front hubs, press out the wheel studs to change the rotors on that.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m like a 100 miles from the 36k mark, to be honest,
I’m not even probably going to take this up with the dealer, I’ll just be wasting my breath and time

I don’t blame ya. I wouldn’t either, I was just looking at hopefully maybe savin’ ya a buck till next winter at least.

MLNLB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
It was fine when I went on my trip back in the beginning of March

b685c006dbf95d75bdf173c83de6c945.jpg

But, after I got back, washed the truck up real good, and drove it to the diesel station (20 miles round trip) and parked the truck, all was fine, today I go out. Fire the truck up and let it warm up, put it in drive and she didn’t want to move freely, had to get on the gas to move and something. Just didn’t feel “right” going down the road. 2 miles down the road I pull off and you can smell brakes, and the left rear was freakin hot. Let it cool down. And putted home. And parked the truck, and that’s where the pictures took over

Usually a caliper slide seized up. Sometimes it is the hardware but you will get new hardware with most quality pads. I imagine you will do the work yourself, use a good high temp silicone lube on all the slides and contact points.

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I don’t blame ya. I wouldn’t either, I was just looking at hopefully maybe savin’ ya a buck till next winter at least.

Yeah, I’m just gonna find whatever the best aftermarket solution is, there has to be a supplier with high quality parts that guys use on their truck

OP
OP
lpfm1990

lpfm1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Usually a caliper slide seized up. Sometimes it is the hardware but you will get new hardware with most quality pads. I imagine you will do the work yourself, use a good high temp silicone lube on all the slides and contact points.

I have a friend (old supervisor) who has a two post lift and does his own. And other people’s brakes and knows what he’s doing, we did my corolla brakes last year. And just need to get the stuff and find when he’s free