Mopar OEM Mud Flaps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrDubya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys

I know there are plenty of mud flap threads but was curious if the clogging issue with the OEM/Mopar ones is still an issue (?). They look nice but I don’t want a headache. Saw a YT video where it looks like they now come filled with styrofoam or something so junk can’t collect inside the flap. Has this resolved the issue or are they still a pain?

Debating on these or WeatherTech…

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I am still in need of a set also. Subscribed

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have no idea. But just in case I just went with Husky mud flaps and couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
M

MrDubya

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have no idea. But just in case I just went with Husky mud flaps and couldn't be happier.
Cool yeah looking at those as well. Did you install the optional screw or just use the existing hardware? Wondering if the move around at all on highway if that optional one isn’t installed.

Farmer Fran

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited Loaded - Sold
I have been going back and forth with OEM, husky and weathertech.

My observations from looking last year. So some things might have changed

OEM are oem fit and get the RAM
Weathertech seems to be the biggest
Husky look the best

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I have the newer version of the Mopar flaps with the foam insert and they work fine here in Michigan with all the slop that's been on our roads. Just be sure to buy some protective film to put under them before installation.

A couple years back I was one of the leaders of the Anti-Mopar flaps movement due to the amount of crap that filled them up during the winter months and switched to Husky which worked fine. An accident that dented my bed was repaired at the Ram Dealership and they replaced the Husky rear flaps with the newer filled Mopar and I was so impressed with them I ordered the front set from Mopar also.

The Mopar one are just heavier and look like they were designed for the Ram so I've completely changed my mind on installing the Mopar ones. I highly recommend them now.

Bill A

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was doing research on flaps and found that the Duraflap factory was only about 7 miles from my house. I headed over and they set me up with these. They had dozens of inserts to choose from. I opted for the Longhorn inserts because they fit the theme of my truck. The inserts are Stainless Steel, recessed into the flaps and secured with 7 SS fasteners.

Attachments

• Duarflap 1.jpg
    Duarflap 1.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Duraflap 2.jpg
    Duraflap 2.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 34

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Cool yeah looking at those as well. Did you install the optional screw or just use the existing hardware? Wondering if the move around at all on highway if that optional one isn’t installed.
I did install the optional screw, but I don't think they were needed. If I were to install them on another truck I would probably skip that step.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed a Mopar set front and rear on my truck. They are "foam filled". I thought at first it was just packaging but after looking at the design figured out the foam was meant to be installed. No issues yet. They do come with 3M tape now to somewhat insulate them from rubbing against the paint. The 4th gen Mopar flaps would rub right down to the bare metal. I hope that issue is now resolved as well.

AussieCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Podcast - just picked up my 2022 1500 which came (installed by dealer) with the foam filled version.

Just wondering, did you install yourself, and is the 3M completely hidden behind the lip of the flap? Im debating whether I should remove 1 of mine to check whether or not the dealer installed 3M tape or not... but if the kit comes with it, I guess they would have.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Podcast - just picked up my 2022 1500 which came (installed by dealer) with the foam filled version.

Just wondering, did you install yourself, and is the 3M completely hidden behind the lip of the flap? Im debating whether I should remove 1 of mine to check whether or not the dealer installed 3M tape or not... but if the kit comes with it, I guess they would have.
I had one of my techs do it but I was there. The 3m tape is hidden by the mud flap entirely. One of the foam pieces was just laying in the box when I received the flaps. I actually took them out thinking it was just packaging. After he put them on we ended up pulling them back off to install the foam. I just simply used new 3m double sided tape to reapply.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Did a lot of homework on this and went with ‘Gaterbacks’. A little pricey, but glad I went with them. They are the real deal, not cheap plastic spin-offs.

8C3CF0C2-13DC-4A35-9B77-CE0285AAC3E9.jpeg

CC340F40-458C-4FAD-A9BE-2F1C2A990E21.jpeg

8318A4C0-E0CD-447A-897E-0AA0D74366D5.jpeg

C3292EE8-66D6-483A-8296-9DA7CB501ED3.jpeg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did a lot of homework on this and went with ‘Gaterbacks’. A little pricey, but glad I went with them. They are the real deal, not cheap plastic spin-offs.

View attachment 489342

View attachment 489343

View attachment 489344

View attachment 489345
Thanks for posting this. Seems like a large percentage of the price of these is in the attached name plate. A set of these with no name plate is $182 for the 5th gen Ram 1500 version. The price for a set with a gunmetal ram head or RAM text for the same truck is $352. I'm seriously thinking of getting the non-name plate version to replace the Husky splash guards I have. The Gatorback look like they have a lot more coverage. And I like the idea of more flexible flaps.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Thanks for posting this. Seems like a large percentage of the price of these is in the attached name plate. A set of these with no name plate is $182 for the 5th gen Ram 1500 version. The price for a set with a gunmetal ram head or RAM text for the same truck is $352. I'm seriously thinking of getting the non-name plate version to replace the Husky splash guards I have. The Gatorback look like they have a lot more coverage. And I like the idea of more flexible flaps.
You won’t be disappointed :waytogo:

AussieCanadian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had one of my techs do it but I was there. The 3m tape is hidden by the mud flap entirely. One of the foam pieces was just laying in the box when I received the flaps. I actually took them out thinking it was just packaging. After he put them on we ended up pulling them back off to install the foam. I just simply used new 3m double sided tape to reapply.
Thanks for confirming the install - sounds like if they were dealer installed then the 3M tape will be behind the flap which is good news! I like the look of them and how integrated they are, and glad they modified them with the foam filling and paint protection film.

RamGuy110

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 2500
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had these on my leveled on 35's 2020 Ram 3500. They were the offset ones and the offset brackets were black powder coated selling for around $350/pair. The coating was coming off the brackets after about 3 months.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Those look REALLY good! And yes everybody is charging stupid prices for mud flaps!!! But the cheap ones look... well... CHEAP! Stupid to buy a 70k truck & put some cheap flaps on.

Thank you.

Yep… well said :waytogo:

Brian2081

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Ramguy, unfortunately the kick back (offset) mount bracket does not hold up to the weight of the flap or the flexing. The mount brackets used to be made of stainless ( sharp truck still advertises them being made of stainless) but they are now aluminum ( false advertisement ) I am on my second set and they have cracked just like the first set. Both seta cracked at roughly 12 to 14 months, at the radius that sets the flap back the 1.5 inches.
Going to make some stainless doubles to reinforce that area.