Motor Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jpdavis44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter V8
Quick question for you guys about the oil you use. I've got a 2002 1500 with the 4.7L engine. I've been taking it somewhere to get the oil changed, but have decided to start doing it myself. I'm looking at the manual and it looks like I should be using 5W-30, but I'm not entirely sure how to read the chart.

I live in VA, so it's going to get cold over the next few months, but it shouldn't get below zero.

Thanks

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5w30 is fine. As far as oil brand, it's a preference thing. Pretty much any oil is going to be fine, you might wring a couple more hp out of the engine with the high dollar synthetics..I used to buy into all the hype, But nowadays I just run regular Mobil 1 in my truck. In other specialty applications I'd be more picky, but it's not worth the extra money for my daily driver.

OP
OP
J

jpdavis44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter V8
Thanks very much. I picked up Penzoil synthetic high mileage oil. It's been many years since I did this myself and there were a lot more choices than I remember...haha.

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lots of choices for sure, but nothing beats just getting under there and doing the work yourself and saving some money.

OP
OP
J

jpdavis44

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Liter V8
I have recently come to that conclusion. I like the idea of knowing how to do a lot of the work myself.