Muffler shopping is beyond killing me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking for Muffler replacement for my 2019 RAM and its killing me.
Making a choice based off youtube blows ... I aiming at Flowmaster or Magnaflow.

It is my daily driver. I want obviously louder than stock but not shaking walls . Interior to a minimum.

Too many to choose from in Flowmaster line up.
Super 40
Super 44
Delta series in whatever
50 Series
50 Hd

Magnaflow ...no idea

I see so many here doing the Super 40 or Super 44 but even with videos if I'm not standing there hearing it.. I just can't pull the trigger

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I love my Magnaflow.
57 yrs old, so remember all the cars of my Youth.
Really sounds great whenever I open it up , yet just a mild, "I can kick your piece of crap cars ass and not notice it" rumble when just tooling round town.
Zero Drone when MDS kicks in.

R

Rogues Gambit

Which magnaflow is it ?

Just looking for a little Tone not Performance . Not Gonna spend 800 bucks for a rumble .

True, I'm just more of the mindset of why not replace the whole thing. I heard Flowmaster Super 44 was solid

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
True, I'm just more of the mindset of why not replace the whole thing. I heard Flowmaster Super 44 was solid

The factory exhaust is stainless steel, so why spend 800-1000 dollars to replace with basically the same pipe??? Muffler swap is the way to go unless you are going with headers, then maybe I'd replace the whole system.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the Flowmaster Super 44 muffler and short pipe replacement for cheap & easy and love it.

As you seam to know something about the Flowmasters the amount of sound (loudness) varies with each as posted on their site. It is hard to compare the sound with the previous Rams because the new generation Rams have a quieter exhaust system than previous with larger (quieter) resonators.

When you remove the big stock muffler and install any performance muffler you will definitely hear a notable difference and hear the hemi deep rumble but to what extent (loudness) may be of each own's preference.

The Flowmaster Super 44 has a nice medium range loudness with a nice deep rumble that puts a smile on my face every time I start up the truck - my wife thinks it's funny that it can improve my mood by just starting the truck.

The magnaflows are similar and the difference with them are that they are glass packs with a slightly different sound but still very good.

The stock exhaust system consists of 3" stainless steel pipe in and out of the muffler and then spit to the dual exhaust pipes with resonators and tips.

Some like to replace the system from the middle exhaust flange back (cat back) with new 3" pipe, muffler, dual exhaust pipes and tips also eliminating the dual exhaust resonators.

I really like my performance muffler setup, nice rumble especially on cold start, not too loud to be obnoxious, very little drone in and out of MDS, and you can hear (and feel) the hemi when you get on it.

R

Rogues Gambit

The factory exhaust is stainless steel, so why spend 800-1000 dollars to replace with basically the same pipe??? Muffler swap is the way to go unless you are going with headers, then maybe I'd replace the whole system.

Headers/Catted Y-Pipe/Exhaust

Is there any wt savings w/a Catback vs just Muffler?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Headers/Catted Y-Pipe/Exhaust

Is there any wt savings w/a Catback vs just Muffler?

I'm not sure on a 5th gen, but I know my 4th gen OEM muffler was a big heavy **** compared to any of the after market mufflers I've ever had installed.

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
with a cat back you replace the dual exhaust resonators with pipe so there will be a weight savings but not much

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5th generation muffler is about the same size as the previous gens but the dual exhaust resonators are now larger.20181115_073030.jpg

R

Rogues Gambit

with a cat back you replace the dual exhaust resonators with pipe so there will be a weight savings but not much

Any idea how much

Not gonna be like 10lbs is 10lbs, if it's 30-45 maybe, but nothing minor

OP
OP
TcRoc

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did the Flowmaster Super 44 muffler and short pipe replacement for cheap & easy and love it.

As you seam to know something about the Flowmasters the amount of sound (loudness) varies with each as posted on their site. It is hard to compare the sound with the previous Rams because the new generation Rams have a quieter exhaust system than previous with larger (quieter) resonators.

When you remove the big stock muffler and install any performance muffler you will definitely hear a notable difference and hear the hemi deep rumble but to what extent (loudness) may be of each own's preference.

The Flowmaster Super 44 has a nice medium range loudness with a nice deep rumble that puts a smile on my face every time I start up the truck - my wife thinks it's funny that it can improve my mood by just starting the truck.

The magnaflows are similar and the difference with them are that they are glass packs with a slightly different sound but still very good.

The stock exhaust system consists of 3" stainless steel pipe in and out of the muffler and then spit to the dual exhaust pipes with resonators and tips.

Some like to replace the system from the middle exhaust flange back (cat back) with new 3" pipe, muffler, dual exhaust pipes and tips also eliminating the dual exhaust resonators.

I really like my performance muffler setup, nice rumble especially on cold start, not too loud to be obnoxious, very little drone in and out of MDS, and you can hear (and feel) the hemi when you get on it.

Did you do the 40 or 44 ? I saw your post on your install but says 40 ,, here it says says 44 ? And am I correct that the 40 is just a tick quieter than the 44 or is it the other way around?

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
I'm planning on doing a straight bolt in Magnaflow from Mufflex, used them on my 2015 and loved it!

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are correct, I have the Super 40 that is supposed to be a little quieter than the Super 44 but probably not much.

Not loud enough to make the neighbors complain unless I get on it in the driveway. I think it should be a little quieter than the FlowFx (glass pack) and a lot quieter than the Outlaw.

The stock dual resonators tone it down quite a bit. Those that deleted them with a cat back system will get much louder out of the same type of performance muffler.

Also most of the Flowmaster performance mufflers have steel baffles, not glass pack and shouldn't get louder with use like the glass packs tend to.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I liked the sound of three of my Ram trucks with Magnaflows on them.

Here's my 6.4L under mild and WOT runs. When cruising I didn't hear it much at all. I did have MDS turned off with my programmer and I did not have a resonator installed.

I have had Flowmaster mufflers and catbacks on other vehicles but they were considerably louder than the Magnaflow systems.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Yeah I have to admit this bothers me a little bit. See lots of people go full catback on brand new trucks, and that's it. I agree, if you're going to do headers and everything then I could see maybe switching everything out. Otherwise, it seems like a tremendous waste of money and the stock exhaust itself. $800-1000 uninstalled vs $150-200 installed (at least my last 2 muffler swaps), with the exact same sound, seems like a no brainer to me.

OP
OP
TcRoc

TcRoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Called a local shop that does mostly all exhausts .. He said 275 installed for the Super 44 ... seems a bit steep .. he said there is some minor tweeking and needs another bracket.. gonna call around ... thing is he does good work and trust him

Last edited:

DanBen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He is right - minor tweeking and another bracket to hold up the back of the muffler and extension pipe but not a bid deal.