Letter from FCA about "TBM" module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lee Pedrick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Got a letter in the mail from FCA about the automatic, Jan 4th update for the "Telematics Box Module" or 'TBM". For those of you that got the letter. (this is all about the Uconnect 5 system in the 2022 and later models). Look up all the info under the TBM link. This does not affect my truck, only Uconnect 5. Anyhow, some things that caught my eye is the 24/7 monitering of the system. Second,, the info can be shared with 3rd party interests. And tucked way down in the info was a statement about it can also monitor your speed, which means your insurance company,, being a third party could monitor this and,,,, then you know what will happen. Again this is for all those that got the letter. I dont know how to post a copy of my letter. This is just FYI. But read it thoroughly.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I know there are guys who have GM vehicles that are all about ripping the onstar boxes out their vehicles for the same reason. I am old and drive slow, so you almost just have to assume they are monitoring some of this info anyway.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
YUP, I'll take MY 19 DT truck with Plain Jane U Connect 4 Radio, no sos, guardian, 911 junk, no OTA's.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Damlier / Mercedes has had the ability for years at least almost 20 that I’ve know of to be able to update pcm’s by satellite…

Have you ever wondered what all those Starlink satellites are doing in the sky all lined up in a row ..?

I’ve seen my uconnect change variably over the years and I ‘m not going to the dealership for anything..it’s inescapable but by different degrees of commitment

EDIT:
All installed Uconnect systems use
“an embedded cellular module within the Radio Receiver Module (RRM) ( also known as the radio head unit ) to enable several mobile connectivity features”

To access the system a subscription maybe required but there are sometimes free access periods after the initial registration of a new vehicle…
giving further evidence of remote execution by Uconnect services that is provided and possibly innocently amended into vehicle ownership and transfer contracts.

Last edited: