My New Truck Went KABOOM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Ok I'll take it 100$ okay deal? [emoji56]

I only take Nigerian Bank money orders. Or will work trade for the women folk. :anitoof:

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I happen to have a Nigerian bank money order on order, just waiting on the funds transfer.
I'm a woman.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Says the one eyed one horned flying purple people eater that thinks it's a smurf.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Back on topic...Update...LOL...Truck has to go back into the shop...I guess it was to much for them to diagnose the entire steering/braking system...Im sure they took it for a test drive after changing the 3 parts. Any REAL tech would have noticed what im about to explain.......Every time you touch the brake, the pedal flutters like it wants to engage the ABS system....Sooooo that needs repair also....Too much to ask to do the job right 100% the first time...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Back on topic...Update...LOL...Truck has to go back into the shop...I guess it was to much for them to diagnose the entire steering/braking system...Im sure they took it for a test drive after changing the 3 parts. Any REAL tech would have noticed what im about to explain.......Every time you touch the brake, the pedal flutters like it wants to engage the ABS system....Sooooo that needs repair also....Too much to ask to do the job right 100% the first time...

Did your brakes work normal before the power steering hose explosion?

In theory, they are two separate systems. If the brake issue is after the power steering hose exploding, then it has to be some type of fluid contamination from it on a brake assembly or connection would be my guess.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10

In theory, they are two separate systems. If the brake issue is after the power steering hose exploding, then it has to be some type of fluid contamination from it on a brake assembly or connection would be my guess.

I was starting to think that somehow the brake and power steering system were tied together...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I was starting to think that somehow the brake and power steering system were tied together...

That is what I am trying to understand from his original post when he mentioned loosing "90% of the brakes" when the power steering hose went. My understanding is they are two separate operating systems. Only thing I can think is if power steering fluid blew everywhere, then some fluid either got on the front brakes themselves and/or fluid got into a electrical connector and contaminated something to cause maybe a abs fault and loss of braking action that way.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine

Truck ran flawlessly...was actually very impressed with it overall...only thing that was questionable was the gas mileage compared to what others were claiming. Mine was nowhere near those numbers. But I attributed that to the extra drag on the motor from the second alternator belt/pulley...Then armegeddon erupted under the hood, and here we are.......Im going to pull the abs fuse and see what happens...Good chance when it exploded it did some damage or soaked the left front caliper and sensor...Dealer never cleaned any P.S. fluid from inside the engine bay or under the truck, so im going to try and diagnose this myself and hopefully save myself another trip to the dealer...

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Just because the dealer is a **** up doesn't mean the truck is bad. Bad parts, yes, bad dealer, yes, bad truck? Probably not.

#2gForLife.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Truck ran flawlessly...was actually very impressed with it overall...only thing that was questionable was the gas mileage compared to what others were claiming. Mine was nowhere near those numbers. But I attributed that to the extra drag on the motor from the second alternator belt/pulley...Then armegeddon erupted under the hood, and here we are.......Im going to pull the abs fuse and see what happens...Good chance when it exploded it did some damage or soaked the left front caliper and sensor...Dealer never cleaned any P.S. fluid from inside the engine bay or under the truck, so im going to try and diagnose this myself and hopefully save myself another trip to the dealer...

Yeah, I would be spraying down the brake assemblies with brake cleaner and then working the connector with some dedicated contact cleaner. Do not use the brake cleaner on any of the electrical connectors as some plastics do not react well with it.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Yeah, I would be spraying down the brake assemblies with brake cleaner and then working the connector with some dedicated contact cleaner. Do not use the brake cleaner on any of the electrical connectors as some plastics do not react well with it.

Yep...that's the plan...Been down this road for many years trying to keep the abs system/sensors clean on my chevy plow trucks...Both cleaners you mentioned are actually on the shelf in my garage (CRC brand)...Finally pulled the abs fuse on those trucks and life got better....

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
That is what I am trying to understand from his original post when he mentioned loosing "90% of the brakes" when the power steering hose went. My understanding is they are two separate operating systems. Only thing I can think is if power steering fluid blew everywhere, then some fluid either got on the front brakes themselves and/or fluid got into a electrical connector and contaminated something to cause maybe a abs fault and loss of braking action that way.

P.S. system and the brake system all work in conjunction with the hydroboost pump. When the P.S. hose blew the lining inside clogged the part called the Hydroboost tube. This tube comes out of the top of the hydro pump and connects to the back of the P.S. hose. That is what caused the complete failure of both systems, as it was explain to me by the service writer

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
P.S. system and the brake system all work in conjunction with the hydroboost pump. When the P.S. hose blew the lining inside clogged the part called the Hydroboost tube. This tube comes out of the top of the hydro pump and connects to the back of the P.S. hose. That is what caused the complete failure of both systems, as it was explain to me by the service writer

OK, I am tracking now. I forgot the heavy duty trucks has that boost pump to help with extra breaking assist.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10

OK, I am tracking now. I forgot the heavy duty trucks has that boost pump to help with extra breaking assist.

So they are tied together on the HD trucks.
I had no idea, which had me wondering when this was being suggested.
Good to know!

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's not so much to help, it is the entire assist, there is no vacuum assist at all like 99% of the other vehicles on the road.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
It's not so much to help, it is the entire assist, there is no vacuum assist at all like 99% of the other vehicles on the road.

Yeah, I actually went out to my truck earlier to look and was surprised it was a full hydraulic assist and no vacuum booster. I had previously thought only the diesels had the hydraulic assist and gassers where vacuum.

Makes sense now on his "90%" brake loss statement cause even in a traditional vacuum boost setup, I know you gotta jam on them hard when you loose vacuum.

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah, I actually went out to my truck earlier to look and was surprised it was a full hydraulic assist and no vacuum booster. I had previously thought only the diesels had the hydraulic assist and gassers where vacuum.

Makes sense now on his "90%" brake loss statement cause even in a traditional vacuum boost setup, I know you gotta jam on them hard when you loose vacuum.
That is the way it used to be. I could tell from the feel of the pedal it was hydroboost on the test drive which surprised me. If something happens on a vacuum assist system you still get 1 to 2 stops with assist though, it should be the same way with hydroboost which means something else might have been wrong with the accumulator in the system.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca