My New Truck Went KABOOM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Update...Lets take a step back in time to 11-24-15, when the asst svc mgr, sales mgr, and myself had a meeting and did an underhood inspection of the truck. During the inspection, we all 3 decided that due to the delicate nature of the plow and spreader components, that I would be the responseable person to clean all those components with whatever chemical the plow install company suggested to use. Unfortunately the dealer did not do as agreed upon. I inspected the engine area this morning and to my dismay, saw that someone at the dealership sprayed an unknown chemical all over the entire engine bay area in an attempt to dissolve the P.S. fluid. This chemical was so harsh that it completely discolored and stained the top of the fan schroud/housing, also the entire throttle body plastic cover, the top of the fuse box cover, and the control module for the plow/spreader components. It ate thru the black impregnated color of the plastic parts and stained it to a white color. I attempted to wipe the top of the fan housing with armourall and it would not bring back the black color nor would it remove any of the white discoloration. So I filed a criminal damage to property report with the local police, so that I have on file a report # that my state farm agent can access...BTW...I attempted to resolve this issue in house with the dealership this afternoon to NO avail...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
................So I filed a criminal damage to property report with the local police, so that I have on file a report # that my state farm agent can access...BTW...I attempted to resolve this issue in house with the dealership this afternoon to NO avail...

Do not be surprised if the dealership goes nuclear and shuts down on you if they get any blow back on your "criminal charge" complaint.

Criminal charge complaint thing is stupid. You may have cause to bring a civil suit to court and sue for damages, but the threshold for criminality is not there no matter how much they pissed you off. If it was criminal that every time a mechanic did not listen to a customer, then it would be a full jailhouse.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Do not be surprised if the dealership goes nuclear and shuts down on you if they get any blow back on your "criminal charge" complaint.

Criminal charge complaint thing is stupid. You may have cause to bring a civil suit to court and sue for damages, but the threshold for criminality is not there no matter how much they pissed you off. If it was criminal that every time a mechanic did not listen to a customer, then it would be a full jailhouse.

I already SHUT DOWN the dealership...I have recieved approval from FCA to no longer do biz with this dealer. any other addt'l future warrenty issues on both vehicles are to be done at the next closest dealer,which is 10 miles south of me. I only went back to this dealer to let them see the damage, and allow them to make it right. They said no...BTW....I also filed another case with corporate FCA in Mi. and have been assigned a case mgr

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I already SHUT DOWN the dealership...I have recieved approval from FCA to no longer do biz with this dealer. any other addt'l future warrenty issues on both vehicles are to be done at the next closest dealer,which is 10 miles south of me. I only went back to this dealer to let them see the damage, and allow them to make it right. They said no...BTW....I also filed another case with corporate FCA in Mi. and have been assigned a case mgr

Haha The dealership has been shut down because they used brake cleaner to clean the engine compartment of your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Haha The dealership has been shut down because they used brake cleaner to clean the engine compartment of your truck?

The way I read it, he is talking metaphorically in that his compliant filed with FCA has him going to another dealer, not that the actual dealership is closed for business.

Last edited:

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The way I read it, he is talking metaphorically in that is his compliant filed with FCA has him going to another dealer, not that the actual dealership is closed for business.

Oh ok. It seemed a bit extreme to me. You don't need permission to go to another dealer, btw. You can have warranty work done wherever you choose.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Wait... you filed a CRIMINAL report for this? Am I missing a piece of this puzzle?

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

I thought the same thing of missing something but if you read what he wrote, I think he has actually "jumped the shark" on a normal persons thought process.

I am starting to have my doubts to what degree he has had a problem and what the other side of the story is or is not being told.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine

Nope....FCA gave me approval to have any future warrenty work on both vehicles be provided at the next closest dealer....That was agreed upon early last week...I requested from the FCA customer service rep to approve allowing me to have the truck removed (towed) to another dealer after they bs'd me about the feb 15th timeline of the first backordered part. They said NO...So some of this contentious situation is their fault...Remember, I never wanted to bring the truck to this dealer in the first place...Their policy is it has to go to the nearest dealer in an emergency situation...

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Wait... you filed a CRIMINAL report for this? Am I missing a piece of this puzzle?

Yes...it's called protecting my investment...LONGTERM...No one can gaurentee me what effect the chemical will have on the $9000.00 worth of plow/salt equipment down the road. If electrical issues arise later with those two components, I have some recourse and legal documentation regarding it.....

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Huh. Ok. Well, I guess if you think that's going to help. I don't see anything criminal in this, so that's why I am confused I guess. 5 years down the road, how will you prove that a liquid that stained your engine compartment was the definite cause of an electrical issue versus the extra non-oem equipment? Your business though, not mine.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Yes...it's called protecting my investment...LONGTERM...No one can gaurentee me what effect the chemical will have on the $9000.00 worth of plow/salt equipment down the road. If electrical issues arise later with those two components, I have some recourse and legal documentation regarding it.....

Explain something to me, there two kinds of courts, court of law and court of equity in this country. When someone breaks a stated and published law like murder, physical theft (taking and running away with it, not perceived loss of intrinsic value) and other high capital crimes, they are prosecuted by the state in a court of law with an arrest and incarceration.

In a court of equity where someone perceives a loss of value or a dispute between two parties that cannot come to an agreement, one brings suit and tries their case in a court of equity for damages.

What is actually "criminal" here and how would the police get involved and not tell you to take it to civil court? What laws are being broken that would not make this a civil case?

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This "chemical" is most likely brake cleaner. It is used to clean just about everything except the interior. Shouldn't be used on plastics because it can discolor them obviously. But I don't think you need to worry about anything being damaged.

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
Explain something to me, there two kinds of courts, court of law and court of equity in this country. When someone breaks a stated and published law like murder, physical theft (taking and running away with it, not perceived loss of intrinsic value) and other high capital crimes, they are prosecuted by the state in a court of law with an arrest and incarceration.

In a court of equity where someone perceives a loss of value or a dispute between two parties that cannot come to an agreement, one brings suit and tries their case in a court of equity for damages.

What is actually "criminal" here and how would the police get involved and not tell you to take it to civil court? What laws are being broken that would not make this a civil case?
What Is the Meaning of Malicious Intent? | eHow

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
How the did the dealer act with malice? They fixed your truck, and there seems to have been a simple miscommunication and they cleaned it under the hood when you wanted to. It stained some parts. This constitutes malicious intent?

OP
OP
SHOOT2KILL

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
This "chemical" is most likely brake cleaner. It is used to clean just about everything except the interior. Shouldn't be used on plastics because it can discolor them obviously. But I don't think you need to worry about anything being damaged.

The underhood condition has rendered the truck UNSELLABLE...No way anyone would buy this truck with 2300 miles on it, looking like it does under the hood...Remember 2 days ago I said it was going to be sold on craigslist...

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L

Seriously? Your brain connects the dots different than most. Unless you got the tech stating he was going to purposely cause damage, all you got is incompetence that does the meet the level of criminal intent.

So what did the officers say when you filed this so called "criminal complaint"? They assign a case number to it? They going to follow up and question the tech and dealership?

Also, your answering my question with a question is called "deflection". Common trait of people who are not telling the truth or whole truth.

Padilen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Buying a vehicle is not an investment. It's money spent. An investment is speculation of profit.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The underhood condition has rendered the truck UNSELLABLE...No way anyone would buy this truck with 2300 miles on it, looking like it does under the hood

You're reaching. I would be more put off by all the plow and salting equipment than a little discoloration of some plastic. That **** is murder on any truck.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
You're reaching. I would be more put off by all the plow and salting equipment than a little discoloration of some plastic. That **** is murder on any truck.

This!

One plow season under it and the inside of that engine bay is not going to be pristine anyways. Besides, there is plenty of what I call "Sham Shine" engine detailed products he can spray all over his engine bay to make the plastic pop and shine that will mask the discoloration if selling is a primary concern.

Last edited: