MY NEW TRUCK!!!! WTF....Paint came off at car wash!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not to beat a dead horse, but you can see the "cut line" the pressure washer made when you got too close. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a spray or touchless car wash if you love your paint, they will always, eventually, mess something up. Lesson learned, sorry.

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
That was hit. There is no way that is from the car wash!

And don't take your truck to the car wash. So bad for the clear coat. Unless it's touchless.

These are not 1990s GM trucks. That was not from a car wash. You can clearly see there had been some sort of impact/scratch in the bumper.

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used to work at a dealership years a go. You would be shocked to know just how often a paint repair guy would have to respray or touch up something before they are sold as new.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks all for the replies.

Lesson learned on the power washer and getting it too close.
The dealership said they just need approval from Dodge to fix it; waiting on that.
To those who suggest there was prior damage are wrong. There was NO damage to my front bumper.

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take to dealer, tell them paint flaked off, only answer questions that they ask, never offer info up. the less you say the better off, you might get a free bumper respray

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your gonna lie about it, just claim it on your uninsured motorist part of you policy and say somebody must have hit you in a parking lot! "Gee, that wasn't there when I went in" My insurance, USAA, doesn't rate your policy for uninsured motorist claims, I've had a couple. However, most other insurance companies do.

OP
OP
B

BLS

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport - Blue Streak
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess I'm of the opinion that I don't lie about that sort of thing.
The paint flaked off while washing it at a car wash. There was no damage, no minor dents, or scratches unless it was microscopic.
It did however, peel right off. To me, that shouldn't happen at a car wash.
Either the truck's paint job sucked, or the car wash has much too high pressure.

And in the end if both Dodge and/or the car wash tell me to stuff it, then I'll just buy a steel front bumper and be done with it.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
There seems to be a sliding scale of taking responsibility for ones actions depend on how much the cost of repair is.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Looks like you got too close with the spray nozzle, lesson learned; never use a high pressure washer on your paint, this is why. Sorry, that really sux to learn the hard way.

I've used a high pressure nozzle on my 3 Rams and never had an issue. I've even got decently close to spray bugs off

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
Not to beat a dead horse, but you can see the "cut line" the pressure washer made when you got too close. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use a spray or touchless car wash if you love your paint, they will always, eventually, mess something up. Lesson learned, sorry.

Well with all the rust issues on these newer rams , your saying we should never wash our vehicles in the winter months living in the salt capital of the world

WI

Because obviously everyone living in WI has access to heated garages and floor drains and hoses in our garages and shops during the winter months correct , and obviously we also hand wash the frames , axles , fender wells during the winter to get rid of the salt also

Or better yet , lets hand wash our new trucks out in the driveway when its below freezing because that always works out well

Signed

I LOVE RUST AND CORROSION AND WHITE SALT ALL OVER MY $50,000 RAM

MaxSteelRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well with all the rust issues on these newer rams , your saying we should never wash our vehicles in the winter months living in the salt capital of the world

WI

Because obviously everyone living in WI has access to heated garages and floor drains and hoses in our garages and shops during the winter months correct , and obviously we also hand wash the frames , axles , fender wells during the winter to get rid of the salt also

Or better yet , lets hand wash our new trucks out in the driveway when its below freezing because that always works out well

Signed

As a Canadian, I agree with your statement.

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
sorry to see this happen to a new truck, to those who say to never use a high pressure system hmmmmmmmmm I have used them exclusively for 30 years and never had an issue?????????

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wash my ram everyday in the winter time, never had any issues witn my last 3 rams or my 4th

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

WI

Signed

No, I never said anything about NOT washing your Ram, wash it anyway you want, I don't really care. All I stated is that using a high pressure hose will EVENTUALLY mess something up, as it did in his case. As far as living in an area that salts its roads, if you have an issue with it, move.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just leave the salt on my truck all winter long.....no rust anywhere. :)

07MegaCabRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
14516346_10154566581587533_6455834592863396603_n.jpg

I do paint and body. I can clearly see a ripple in the plastic, which is why the paint chipped off.

Is this a new truck to you - or a new new truck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brendo99