My pretty bad 2018 RAM 1500 Hemi experience, help/advice needed on what to do next

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had one of them, too. Whenever I made a left-hand turn in second gear, the shifter would pop into neutral. The technician thought the cables may have stretched (even though the car was only a few months old), so he installed new ones. The problem remained.

I was too young and naïve to resolve the problem further, so after a couple years I traded it in on a 1988 Cavalier Z24. Now that was a fun car!
Those were fun with the V6. I had as 1984 Citation X-11 with the HO V6 and a 4 speed. That was a blast until I got rear-ended by a drunk driver at a highway stoplight.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went through the entire Maryland Lemmon Law process. Three hearings and at each one the arbitrator gave GM "1 more chance" to fix the leaking sunroof. The final straw came when the arbitrator asked if I was willing to take the car through a car wash with her in it so she could see the problem. Within about 30 seconds of entering the car wash water began to drip on her lap. I handed her a towel and smiled.

Between scheduling hearings, fix attempts, holidays, last minute cancellations by GM's representatives, etc. it took right about a 1 year so the vehicle was now 18 months old. After the final decision requiring GM buy back the vehicle, GM continued to try and haggle on the amount. Citing depreciation, wear and tear, their arbitration costs, etc and offering about 60% of the price I paid. At this point the arbitrator had had enough of GM's antics and cited the law required payment of 100% of the purchase price including all taxes and fees. GM finally relented and started the buy back process. This required me to turn in the vehicle to a dealership of their choosing. The dealership was about an hours drive in an neighboring state and not the one 20 minutes away where I had purchased the vehicle. I dropped of the vehicle, picked up my paperwork and received my check about 2 weeks later. A friend who lived near the dealer where I dropped of the car told me he saw it on their used car lot for sale. I drove over to check it out and sure enough it was my old car. I could tell by the small scratches and other little wear items that make each car unique. The musty odor was also a giveaway. GM was slimy, scheming and resistant at every step of the process. I personally would not believe anything anyone from GM tells me.
I think corporate greed has grown like cancer.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would also not put to much stock in the RAM “case manager.” My experience has been that is where issues go to die… And you have no recourse. Wont talk to you on the phone, might get a return email stating the decision was up to someone else. Basically a middleman for bad news- in
my experience.
"Case Manager".... ?? Hmm

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The OP was a fly-in. Doubt we'll ever hear from him again. Hope he has good luck with the 4XE. He must be a glutton for punishment. He just added several layers of new tech and items which can fail or flake out, of which only the dealer can address.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Look it up like I did.

When you looked it up, did you learn that at the federal level there's only general consumer protection stuff like Magnuson-Moss and no 'lemon law' on vehicles?

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not here to practice law at the Federal level or State level, or to split hairs. I am relating my own thoughts based upon experiencing being in the fray of people's issues with bad cars over the decades being Fords and GM's.

I have seen only the one vehicle ACTUALLY bought back; the SUV with the cracked frame weld. I asked questions, got answers from folks higher up the food chain than me, and learned a few things about it..... certainly I didn't become expert at it, so stop trying to put me on the spot.

You have a nice day.... I'm exiting any argument you might wish to get into.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I'm not here to practice law at the Federal level or State level, or to split hairs. I am relating my own thoughts based upon experiencing being in the fray of people's issues with bad cars over the decades being Fords and GM's.

I have seen only the one vehicle ACTUALLY bought back; the SUV with the cracked frame weld. I asked questions, got answers from folks higher up the food chain than me, and learned a few things about it..... certainly I didn't become expert at it, so stop trying to put me on the spot.

You have a nice day.... I'm exiting any argument you might wish to get into.

There's no argument. You're putting out bad information under the guise of understanding lemon laws, I corrected it, and you got butthurt and doubled down with your 'look it up like I did" comment.

I don't care that you're wrong, I just posted the correct information (and links to it) for others who may think you know what you're talking about in regards to lemon laws, which you don't.