My Ram 1500 locks itself off and on with key in ignition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jack67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I find that for no reason at times my 2014 Ram 1500 locks itself with the key in the ignition when I go outside and shut the door? Is this normal with this truck? Reason I'm asking, this happens too often and our Ford Edge SUV won't lock if the key is inside, so why doesn't the Ram do the same?

This actually happens way too often, I had to get a locksmith to come open it three times when I didn't have my extra key with me. Example, last summer on the way to Takhlakh Lake we stopped at a rural gas station store and when my wife went inside to the bathroom, she left her purse with extra key in Truck and I was outside gassing up, it did it again. Our dog was inside and it was 95% outside and we're 35 miles from the nearest town. Fortunately a very nice man helped us get in, but it took him 25 tries, about a half hour. Otherwise we would have had to smash the side window to get in so our dog would survive. This would have been a real mess had it happened at the remote lake we were going to that's 80 miles from the nearest small town.

I guess I could put an extra key in a magnetic case under the chassis somewhere.

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Open the fob & check that the contact disks haven't shifted around.
Open the TIPM and push down on all the fuses to make sure they're seated.