My Ram is gone

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod7515

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sold my 2011 Ram 4wd truck.
Why you ask,
Well I bought it almost 6 years ago for 20k. It had 38k miles on it back them and I must say I loved driving this truck. It was a great driving truck, sharp design, burgundy paint and nice wheels. You sat up nice when driving and it gave me the feeling of security from an accident.
So why sell. Because the hemi motor is a disgrace to its family.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years. At 64k miles it started throwing a misfire code. The long story short, the #3 exhaust roller lifter locked up and wiped the cam lobe. I did the work myself and parts were over $2500. The more I read about this issue that madder I got until last week I advertised it and it sold in 3 days.
The good news is I got $19,900 for it which may have been low or may have been right in line with todays prices but it did have 2 or 3 small dings. I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product. I still own a 66 Dart that is heavily modified and I was that pissed I considered selling it but then came to my senses.
During my repair there were a bunch of good people here that helped me get it back running and I want to say thank you all for the help. Hope no one ever has another issue with a hemi again but looking at the design I know better. Best of luck to all.
Rod

Cmz2800

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve had mine 2 years and with the exception of that Hemi tick I haven’t had any issues (knock on wood).

Marmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes,the tick,very frustrated ,my 2019 started ticking at 25 kms,quiet down with pennzoil and lubaguard biotech, but comes back from time to time,it really suck, I feel your pain bro.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
130K miles on my 2014 and I've been through two trannies and an engine. Luckily all under warranty but I get it, OP. I also have a Jeep Cherokee that blew the tranny at 61K (yes, just out of warrant but luckily I had an extended). I like a lot of things about Ram/Jeep vehicles but owning them without a warranty of some type isn't in my playbook for the foreseeable future.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I'm not sure I will ever be able to buy another Ram product.
Your joining a distinguished club of people who vow to never to buy XXXXX brand of vehicles. Just know that there are people who have said the same thing about the brand your buying (and just every other brand vehicle out there).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Even for those who like their mds hemi, I don't get the deliberate ignorance of these engines short comings. Except for those guys who appreciate the efforts of the gov't on fuel mileage at any cost, then I could except this obsession with the modern hemi. But every engine I have had in the past 40 years I never had to even think about it, didnt have to think about how it ran or what oil to use or filter or even any widespread issues from any of them. Since this is the only engine I have had for 14 years maybe it is a timing thing and not so much a hemi thing, all modern engine are government experiments. I wouldn't mind going back in time and getting me a 351w in a f body and never worrying about it again. I'm not sure buying any modern vehicle is worth half of what they ask, the more the peel apart the onion on how these things work, I am not interested. Yes you will have to sacrifice as well, moving from 400 hp to 200hp or less and getting the same mileage may shock you. It's all about priorities, but even if I had disposable income I'd rather fix up something old then buy something new. 90's fords good place to start.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's an F-body ford? ...Fox Mustang? Or something else?

I think most people I know when they hear F-body they think of camaro/firebird

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What's an F-body ford? ...Fox Mustang? Or something else?

I think most people I know when they hear F-body they think of camaro/firebird
Roger that, 7 gen f series pickups got an all new body some of the truck forums call f for fords new f series pickup body, f body. Perhaps they should have picked a different nick name as gm was first.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Roger that, 7 gen f series pickups got an all new body some of the truck forums call f for fords new f series pickup body, f body. Perhaps they should have picked a different nick name as gm was first.

Got it.. :D ok. New one on me. Who keeps coming up with these names...Dent-side, OBS..?? LOL. Is there another name for the 80-86's, or is that it?

My brother is into OBS Fords (87-96?).. in a big way. I'm into OBS GM's 88-98. They're both nice. I actually like the "F-body Fords" gen ...as you say. They broke a lot of ground for new style/tech back in the day. I owned a few of them (RC 4x4's) in the 80's. I can see why you like them. Yeah with a nice 351W or even a 400M that's done up right (so it keeps oil pressure and doesn't smoke!) ... could be a nice truck. Esp with an OD or 5 spd. Old school. Insurance which costs a quarter of the Ram/yr. Cheap wheels if you don't drive a ton. That's all you need, man!

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Got it.. :D ok. New one on me. Who keeps coming up with these names...Dent-side, OBS..?? LOL. Is there another name for the 80-86's, or is that it?

My brother is into OBS Fords (87-96?).. in a big way. I'm into OBS GM's 88-98. They're both nice. I actually like the "F-body Fords" gen ...as you say. They broke a lot of ground for new style/tech back in the day. I owned a few of them (RC 4x4's) in the 80's. I can see why you like them. Yeah with a nice 351W or even a 400M that's done up right (so it keeps oil pressure and doesn't smoke!) ... could be a nice truck. Esp with an OD or 5 spd. Old school. Insurance which costs a quarter of the Ram/yr. Cheap wheels if you don't drive a ton. That's all you need, man!
My favorite years are your brothers year for sure, 92-96 especially. I think it was 80 that went to smooth ttb suspension, cant say for sure. It's not my favorite feature, I found a work around it, I used poly axle bushings made them more stout. I like the direction ford took after 7 gen, but 7 gen started it.

I had a 93, 94, and a 95 bronco, they suited my lifestyle back then. I do have more use for a truck these days, and I still like those years ford as well, same platform. I digress, I do love my ram just not the hemi.

Last edited:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 93, 94, and a 95 bronco, they suited my lifestyle back then. I do have more use for a truck these days, and I still like those years ford as well, same platform. I digress, I do love my ram just not the hemi.

I had a couple mid 80's bronco's (used back then). I used to buy-n-sell 4x4's when I was going to college. Yeah, I agree, they were fun. Some of those 400M's ...they struggled with oil pressure. I had one which would drop down to about 4psi! (hot idle in gear, foot on brake) LOL. That was one weakness of those. Yep TTB back then. It worked fine, other than the center yoke tended to get worn out sooner than it should. I wonder if they'd carry a Ram up a pile of rubble ...like the commercials showed back then.

Anyway, Ram's show how far trucks have come in terms of ride/comfort and still be rugged.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP .....So why sell. Because the hemi motor is a disgrace to its family.
I've owned mopars for almost 50 years. This hemi was the biggest disappointment in all those years.

It's interesting you worried about your truck's engine a lot. The funny thing is ..I'd never worried once about the engine in my Ram going bad. Or the tranny. Just not worth the worry..nothing I can do about it anyway. I just drive and to the maintenance. If it does, I'll deal with it. Tick or no tick. WTF... just drive and leave the worrying when something happens. 175k on mine..no problems. Sorry to hear about your woes though.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
80 to 86 f150s are called bull nose or flat nose I think.my 20 classic was perfect no hemi tick or anything.the possible hemi problems and then add etorque= a no deal for me I think.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Here let me fix it for you as I'm sure you were thinking of the 351 Cleveland

Yeh, 351 Cleveland ... to bad it went the way of the dinosaurs ... imo, it would have been an good performance engine for the truck line instead of the Windsor.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'm not sure that question has ever been answered, lol. 351w or 351c, I was partial to the 351w just because I owned so many, and yes I was always aware that it was the Canadian version of the similar 351c. Those 351c's could be finiky, but I think got a lot of love because of the cars it went into more then out besting the 351w. I do believe that famous 7 gen f series trucks did get the Clevelands, but the better years as stated earlier got the 351w. If you one of those guys who works on cars for a hobby then cleveland is the way to go, if you work on cars just to keep them on the road, windors seamed to be the ticket.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat