Sirius XM Option Gone From Media

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I recently had to replace the battery on my truck. After I put the new battery in the button for XM under the media app was gone (8.4" UAQ radio). I did a search and saw that this is common after disconnecting the battery, but it has now been a couple of weeks an it still hasn't come back. If I go to the settings section of the radio, I still see the SXM options and it even lets me pick the stations to skip.

I was thinking that maybe a setting was messed up after the battery was out, so I used Alfa OBD to check to see if anything may be disabled. I didn't see anything under BCM specific to satellite radio other than one option for SDARS Video, but I assume that is for other countries since we don't have video options in the US. I did read one thread where the person's country code was changed to Canada and SXM stopped working until they changed it back to the US. I found three references to country, but they are all set to the US:

1. Under main BCM menu, option "Change Country Code". This is set to USA.
2. Under VehConfig 1: Country Code = USA
3. ECUConfig 3: country of destination = Market 2 // United States of America

I tried doing a radio refresh from the SXM website with the truck running, but that didn't make any difference.

My track came from the factory with a 5" satellite radio. I upgraded it to the 8.4" Panasonic radio a few years ago. SXM did disappear a couple of years ago when making some configuration changes related to the HVAC, but it came back within a day and has worked since. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I can check? Someone had suggested I pull the battery cable or fuse again, but I would think that would just take me back to square one.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Question: Is the SiriusXM launch button under the apps on the main screen? If so, just drag it down to the bottom bar where you want it. NOTE: Any app that you pull it down over is going to either be moved over (most likely to the right), or it's going to be moved off the bar - it will stay in the apps section of your main screen.

You can drag and drop, and move any icon where you want it (you can have up to six I think) on the shortcut bar (bottom of the screen).

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Question: Is the SiriusXM launch button under the apps on the main screen? If so, just drag it down to the bottom bar where you want it. NOTE: Any app that you pull it down over is going to either be moved over (most likely to the right), or it's going to be moved off the bar - it will stay in the apps section of your main screen.

You can drag and drop, and move any icon where you want it (you can have up to six I think) on the shortcut bar (bottom of the screen).
No, it is completely gone from the Media section of the radio and I have no way to get to SXM anymore. It only shows AM/FM/USB/Bluetooth.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it is completely gone from the Media section of the radio and I have no way to get to SXM anymore. It only shows AM/FM/USB/Bluetooth.
Gotcha. Whoops.. wow... I didn't know that was a thing!

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Found this on another forum: https://**************/community/threads/sirriusxm-disappeared-from-media-sources.4012/ Put in "5th Gen Rams dot com" with no spaces for the **** No idea why they would blank that out here!

Read about 4 posts down

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Found this on another forum: https://**************/community/threads/sirriusxm-disappeared-from-media-sources.4012/ Put in "5th Gen Rams dot com" with no spaces for the **** No idea why they would blank that out here!

Read about 4 posts down
Because the letters in the middle of the word spell out a word not allowed.

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Read about 4 posts down
Thanks, but that solution didn't work. I still don't see SXM as an option.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
What might of happened is Sirus XM was always advertised as “Satellite Radio” the fact of the matter it’s just cellular radio service now.. The Satellite architecture is still paired with the Uconnect service for updates
Radio frequencies have been changed for commercial expansion and spectrums like WiFi and cellular have grown to be utilized more efficiently.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What might of happened is Sirus XM was always advertised as “Satellite Radio” the fact of the matter it’s just cellular radio service now.. The Satellite architecture is still paired with the Uconnect service for updates
Radio frequencies have been changed for commercial expansion and spectrums like WiFi and cellular have grown to be utilized more efficiently.
Dec10,2023
satellite radio, a type of digital broadcast, which transmits audio signals over large areas with greater clarity and consistency than conventional radio.

A satellite radio service works by transmitting its signal from a ground-based station to one or more satellites orbiting Earth. The satellite bounces the signal back to specialized receivers on the ground, commonly located in automobiles and home stereo systems. Because the signal is broadcast from outer space, it can reach across an entire continent. Ground-based repeaters augment the signal in urban areas where tall buildings might cause interference.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It will show back up after some sleep time or several start cycles .it takes the system some time to completely shut down though.you can speed things up by take the fuse under the hood out 2 to 5 times.or wait a day

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
radio fuse is found between the battery & the firewall

When does your subscription run out ?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Dec10,2023
satellite radio, a type of digital broadcast, which transmits audio signals over large areas with greater clarity and consistency than conventional radio.

A satellite radio service works by transmitting its signal from a ground-based station to one or more satellites orbiting Earth. The satellite bounces the signal back to specialized receivers on the ground, commonly located in automobiles and home stereo systems. Because the signal is broadcast from outer space, it can reach across an entire continent. Ground-based repeaters augment the signal in urban areas where tall buildings might cause interference.

Great point ,

When purchasing a subscription in the United States part of that goes towards the FCC licensing agreement , Here is link and a quote to recent changes by the FCC

Dated 3/17/2023

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-23-22A1.pdf

“Market Developments and Terrestrial/Satellite Partnership Efforts…

As technologies with advanced capabilities evolve and wireless customers' demand for

seamless connectivity grows, even in remote locations currently lacking wireless coverage, stakeholders are seeking ways to leverage satellite communications to provide expanded coverage to consumer handsets. Recent news reports have highlighted interest in this evolving market with partnerships between satellite service' providers and terrestrial wireless service providers to facilitate this type of enhanced capability. According to these reports, in addition to increased consumer demand, other factors driving this trend include lower satellite bandwidth prices and the "broad acceptance of the [3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP)] wireless standard”

OP
OP
N

ngiovas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
It will show back up after some sleep time or several start cycles .it takes the system some time to completely shut down though.you can speed things up by take the fuse under the hood out 2 to 5 times.or wait a day
Actually, it had been several weeks and several drives without it reappearing. That is what was so odd. I decided to go ahead and do the latest radio update just to see if that would help. After the update, it was still gone even after a few days, but somehow it reappeared again today. I have no explanation why.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, it had been several weeks and several drives without it reappearing. That is what was so odd. I decided to go ahead and do the latest radio update just to see if that would help. After the update, it was still gone even after a few days, but somehow it reappeared again today. I have no explanation why.
Glad you got it back!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
SpaceX varmints

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Glad you got it back.i've never seen a xm icon gone for that long.it took me a week to get a travel link widget when I added it to my 21 classic