Need advice on trailering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm ready to do some heavy hauling (trailer) but since buying my Ram I've encountered some criticism for having purchased one with an automatic transmission from people telling me they don't mix well with diesel. What is your experience, those of you with a diesel/auto configuration?

When I bought my truck, the previous owner had it only a short time before he was told he needed a new remanufactured tranny. I got the truck with about 180k on it. Is that a decent amount of miles on a transmission?

I've hauled a 7k bumper pull camper 800 miles through a few small mountains and some foothills. I'm loading for a repeat of the trip with a 14k gooseneck. I expect to be pushing close to the 13,750lb towing limit for my 3500. There is one up slope about 100' long with about a 15% grade on gravel that I'm not sure I can do. I'm mostly concerned about the tranny. I'd appreciate any advice, warnings, encouragement, etc. I've been up the slope empty, before the fine crusher run gravel was laid. My truck wouldn't go up without rolling gravel in 2wd. Oddly enough, a friend made it look easy in his F350. I assume it was because his truck is a duely and a gas engine. Mine just plows into gravel and stops. How I love 4wd changeover in the cab! Am I ill-advised to haul so much weight up such a steep slope?

redvettx2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Auto's out sell sticks 10 to 1. If it were an issue you would here about. Even at 13K she will not be working that hard. I had a stick for 14 years and I do like them in the snow. Just got and Auto and I like having the extra gear up top. Runs a low rpm's on the highway. You can always down shift. Granny low is nice but I used to for 12 minutes total in 14 years.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Diesel tranny's are a different beast than a gas engine tranny. I've hauled 7K on my truck (08' with an auto tranny, 5.7 gas engine) plenty of times here in California where there are hills in every direction getting out of the bay area and also through the Grapevine in Los Angeles, and I've never had any issues. '
Have your regular maintenance performed on the trans fluid and make sure they check and replace the filters inside the trans as well.
I think you'll be fine. However 13K up hill on Gravel road? I would be more concerned with traction than anything else.....

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a 2004.5 2500 with the 5.9 in it(best engine I've ever had)and pulled a 7000 lbs. boat and trailer almost every weekend for a couple of years. Up and down boat ramps and to Lake Powell a couple of times which includes some mountain driving. Never had any problem at all however I had a 4x4. Also never had a trans problem however I did trans services about every 25,000 miles. I agree with the above post about the traction potentially being a problem.
Jay

brownie289

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Apples to Oranges but I pulled a 8500# camper w my 1500 for years. Auto trans, it did have the tow package. Did a great job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk