NEED ADVICE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont plan on buying a ram again.

Header leaks
Differential bearings at 70k
Maintenance sucks, engine and trans oil
Front suspension. Constant alignments and uses struts
Stupid knob for a shifter.
16 spark plugs
Headlights suck

Yes this is enough to make me consider paying more for a toyota.

If you dont mod or maintenance your own, you will probably love it

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
First advice: Don't type in all caps.
:cheers:
Second I have 35000 miles on my Ram. No issues so far I love my truck. You can't beat the bang for the buck when compared to Ford, Gm, Toyota.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Sir, you can ask that question to any type of brand you want and your going to get so many different reviews. I can only speak from my own experience and 99% of the time any issue I have had with a Mopar product I brought on myself by pressing them to the max, A LOT! If what I buy has a weak link I'll find it. They all have some type of issue. My personal bad experience over the years would have to be an automatic transmission. That's why I try hard to find a manual transmission.

Last edited:

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Rams love to be used. Take care of them, use them for what they are intended.

I have 4 total 3 trucks 11, 14 and 16. I have a 15 durango.

All have 5.7 hemi, miles range from 20k to 150k.

Tires, brakes, plugs and oil changes.

No major issues. Decent fuel economy

No rust and minimal trips to the dealer.
Mostly recalls.

Two vehicles don't see the dealer as they are heavily modded. One has heavy aftermarket influence.

Wouldn't buy anything else, unless it's a great deal

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I dont plan on buying a ram again.

Header leaks
Differential bearings at 70k
Maintenance sucks, engine and trans oil
Front suspension. Constant alignments and uses struts
Stupid knob for a shifter.
16 spark plugs
Headlights suck

Heh.. I haven't had any exhaust leaks, so far the differentials have not presented any problem, maintenance is pretty normal, no real trouble with the front suspension, mine has a column shifter, the 16 spark plugs probably sucks but my other vehicle has 4 and wants them changed every 30k miles so by 120k miles (on either vehicle) I will have changed the same total number of plugs :deal: .... and the regular ol' quad headlights with decent upgraded incandescent bulbs are excellent I have no idea why people complain about them.

CarrollB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Part of the problem with forums is 90% of the time you only hear about problems people are having. I bought a used 2016 Ram with 71K miles. I've put about 7 K miles on it with 20% of that time pulling a 2800# boat trailer. So far I've done nothing but put gas in it. I bought a used 79 Chevy with 4300 miles on it many years ago. I treated that truck with kid gloves and changed the oil every 4K miles. The engine ate a cam at 50K. Any vehicle can give you problems no matter how good you care for it. I trust my Ram just as much or more than I would a Ford or Chevy truck. I personally think you get more for your money with the Ram.

Swamprnr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 1500 with the 5.7 and 86k miles. only issue I had was the exhaust manifold gaskets and had them replaced under warranty at 75k miles. Other that that just normal maintenance. Oil changes and tires

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming from Ford (previously owned 9 F150s and an old ranger), I'm happy with my Ram. Bought it new in 17. I've put 80k miles on it, and the only problem so far has been the infamous exhaust leak caused by broken manifold bolts. Just bought a set of headers to replace the manifolds (planned for this weekend if they show up). Aside from that, typical maintenance and new brake pads (squealed from day 1, replaced around 60k miles and no problems since). It does feel as though I might have a warped rotor, but it's more of an annoyance than a real problem, as it stops fine, albeit with a bit of a vibration depending on how hard I'm braking. I would say no more or less issues than any vehicle I've owned, with the exception of the manifold bolts, which is new to me.

The ride quality and interior quality fit & finish are second to none. I drove a 17 F150 and a 17 GMC Sierra before I bought the Ram. Within 1/4 mile of the test drive, I knew I was buying the Ram, and this is coming from someone who has owned nothing but Fords in the 25 years I've been driving. My next vehicle will be whatever I can find the best deal on the options I want at the time, but I wont overlook a new Ram when the time comes.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMG_2482.jpg If your major complaints include the number of spark plugs, and the headlights, Congratulations. You've had a lot easier life than the rest of us.

I never really ever thought of myself as a Dodge fan. But in 1990, I bought a very cool, plain jane Base 1988 Dakota. 11 years late I bought a 99 Dakota SLT. I STILL regret selling the 99 Dakota. My 2011 Ram, affectionately known to me as The Big Truck, has had a sticky RF brake caliper. Nothing else.

I'm not selling my truck any time soon. And I'm sure as hell not jumping off the Dodge ship!

JimReed

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew. Purchased in 2016 with the Max Care Warranty. Wasn't going to spend the extra few thousand but thank God I did. Since 2016, the truck has been in just about once a year for a major repair. The air shocks had the main computer replaced then the compressor to really fix the issue. The rear end was completely rebuilt. The backup camera lost it's backup lines after a firmware update that took 2 years to fix, IMHO it was a combination of camera & firmware fixes. The emergency brake release handle broke & the passenger side mirror had to be replaced after the glass all yellowed out from most likely a short in the heated mirror. There have been other issues. The issue for me is that I do love the truck but if it wasn't for the warranty, I would most likely have been forced to move on.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am not brand loyal at all. I have not owned the same brand of vehicle twice in a row.

They all have their problems. I had an F150 before this and so far I am happy with my Ram. I only have about 29,000 miles on it so far though.

OP
OP
R

Roger Bohacz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES EVERYONE ! THE 17 AND 18 RAMS LOOK LIKE GREAT TRUCKS. WILL HAVE TO TEST DRIVE ONE