Need better highs for Alpine system, need suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New owner of a 2014 sport crew cab, Alpine system with nav, I believe it's the decked out u-connect system.

For a stock system it's pretty decent, and I don't want to get too involved with a full build. Lows and mids are fine, but the truck is clearly tuned in that direction. There's just no clarity in the highs, they just get lost in the low/mid range.

Looks like my best bet is to replace the dash speakers with 2ohm 3.5's. Is there a go to setup that works well for people looking for a basic plug and play option to help with the highs?

Also curious about the stock amp specs, I've been digging around and haven't really found anything yet. Curious as to the RMS ratings of the speaker channels and sub channel. Really any details on the amp would be great. I don't mind spending a little coin on some decent speakers, but I also don't want to get anything that needs 100watts to shine when it's probably only going to see 30-40 watts.

If anyone can chime in with what works for them, suggestions, and amp details, it would be much appreciated.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I doubt you will even see 30-40 watts as I believe it's pretty standard for most oem speakers to be 8 ohm, I could be wrong though. I would say stray from a 3.5" and go with an actual tweeter and use a crossover to set you HPF so you can avoid any unwanted frequencies.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Just be careful going to 2ohm speakers if the stock ones are 4. I wouldn't be surprised if the amp has an issue with the lower impedance.

noupf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport 6'4 Bed
Engine
5.7 Hemi
New owner of a 2014 sport crew cab, Alpine system with nav, I believe it's the decked out u-connect system.

For a stock system it's pretty decent, and I don't want to get too involved with a full build. Lows and mids are fine, but the truck is clearly tuned in that direction. There's just no clarity in the highs, they just get lost in the low/mid range.

Looks like my best bet is to replace the dash speakers with 2ohm 3.5's. Is there a go to setup that works well for people looking for a basic plug and play option to help with the highs?

Also curious about the stock amp specs, I've been digging around and haven't really found anything yet. Curious as to the RMS ratings of the speaker channels and sub channel. Really any details on the amp would be great. I don't mind spending a little coin on some decent speakers, but I also don't want to get anything that needs 100watts to shine when it's probably only going to see 30-40 watts.

If anyone can chime in with what works for them, suggestions, and amp details, it would be much appreciated.

1) Alpine system is a 2 ohm system.....so you need 2 ohm aftermarket speakers. RMS to the ssub is 75 watts i read.

2) At the moment there are only like 2 models for the dash that are 2 or 3 ohm and that fit. One by infinity and one by jbl. There is a couple big threads on this forum and the ramforumz website about those who have done this upgrade, including a nice 8" pioneer sub upgrade for the sub.

I did it all, the dash speakers, the rear 6x9's and the pioneer sub. Makes the system much more lively. Still, its not amazing, but its better than the stock alpine speakers.

I tried the inifinty ref-3002cfx speakers in the dash ( they ran at 3 ohms ) and they sounded better, but i decided to try the jbls gx302, bc they were closer to the the 2 ohm ( they run at 2.3 ohms ) and they are deffinately louder than the infinity's. the inifity has better mids and less highs, the jbl's has sharper highs and less mids, but i wanted volume, so i stuck with the jbl's.

The rear 6x9's are jbls gx962 and they are awesome, they really help the volum and mids and highs in the truck if you ask me. Fyi your front 6x9's are mid-bass speakers and produce no highs, so dont bother replacing them.

The 8" sub from pioneer TS-SW2002D2 was nice too.

I think the whole "upgrade" cost me about $200 ( $70 for the sub on sale, $80 for the 6x9's and $50 for a pair of the front speakers ).

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great feedback nouph. Thanks!

JBL's look to be a very popular and well reviewed choice, I was just wondering if there were any other options to look at. However, most everything else is 4ohm impedance.

Even the Infinity are advertised as true 4 ohm meaning they are 3 ohm plus the wires to = 4 ohm load.

JBL's it is.

How much difference does that little Pioneer sub make? I can't imagine much but I'd rather ask!

schul788

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the same speaker upgrade as noupf but used the Infinity dash speakers. Used three, replacing the center channel in the dash as well. The Pioneer sub won't give you really any louder bass but it is definitely cleaner and less muddy. Just don't expect miracles because you are still using the stock amp. All the speakers they use are cheap paper cone made in china so really anything will be an upgarde. Really the only Apline thing in the upgraded alpine system is the amp.

Matt052

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dakota SLT 4x4 Ext Cab
Engine
Is it fairly easy to access them for replacement?

tripleplay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this.. the JBL 302's in dash 963 in rear doors. HUGE difference.

On the Pioneer sub.. jury's out. It definately is taking time to "break-in". I had polyfill in there and took it all out - seemed to be better that way at least for me.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1) Alpine system is a 2 ohm system.....so you need 2 ohm aftermarket speakers. RMS to the ssub is 75 watts i read.

2) At the moment there are only like 2 models for the dash that are 2 or 3 ohm and that fit. One by infinity and one by jbl. There is a couple big threads on this forum and the ramforumz website about those who have done this upgrade, including a nice 8" pioneer sub upgrade for the sub.

I did it all, the dash speakers, the rear 6x9's and the pioneer sub. Makes the system much more lively. Still, its not amazing, but its better than the stock alpine speakers.

I tried the inifinty ref-3002cfx speakers in the dash ( they ran at 3 ohms ) and they sounded better, but i decided to try the jbls gx302, bc they were closer to the the 2 ohm ( they run at 2.3 ohms ) and they are deffinately louder than the infinity's. the inifity has better mids and less highs, the jbl's has sharper highs and less mids, but i wanted volume, so i stuck with the jbl's.

The rear 6x9's are jbls gx962 and they are awesome, they really help the volum and mids and highs in the truck if you ask me. Fyi your front 6x9's are mid-bass speakers and produce no highs, so dont bother replacing them.

The 8" sub from pioneer TS-SW2002D2 was nice too.

I think the whole "upgrade" cost me about $200 ( $70 for the sub on sale, $80 for the 6x9's and $50 for a pair of the front speakers ).

Great info here, thanks. First I've read of someone using 2 ohm speakers with factory Alpine system.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Kicker makes direct replacements for all of the stock speakers. They even have a plug and play sub that fits under driver side rear seat, which opens up more storage in the back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
P

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I installed the two dash corner JBL's last night and they made a huge difference. Gonna look for a set for the rear doors and see if anyone has an odd single sitting around for the center dash.

Has anyone upgraded the front doors? I know they are only mids but wondering if throwing a 2 ohm mid driver in there would be worthwhile, maybe a 6.5?

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Kicker makes direct replacements for all of the stock speakers. They even have a plug and play sub that fits under driver side rear seat, which opens up more storage in the back.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Those speakers are for the base system, not the Alpine. I made the mistake of installing them on my Alpine system and the highs are unbearable.

There are no Mopar/Kicker upgrades for the Alpine setup.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Upgrading the Alpine setup is not an easy thing. It took me a lot of time and money to finally get my new system to where it was receiving a solid signal from the Alpine amp. If I knew then what I know now I would have AVOIDED the Alpine system at all costs.

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those speakers are for the base system, not the Alpine. I made the mistake of installing them on my Alpine system and the highs are unbearable.

There are no Mopar/Kicker upgrades for the Alpine setup.
According to graygoose, there are replacements. He works at Kicker and gave me the part numbers a while ago. I can't get to my inbox to see what they are while I'm on my phone, but there are Alpine replacements.

Snake_Eyes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l Hemi
According to graygoose, there are replacements. He works at Kicker and gave me the part numbers a while ago. I can't get to my inbox to see what they are while I'm on my phone, but there are Alpine replacements.

I spoke to him directly about it. Did you have different part numbers than the ones below?

ME:
I used the Mopar Kickers, 77KICK42 for front, 77KICK41 for rear.

GreyGoose:
I usually would recommend them for base audio, but not the Alpine. The engineers at Alpine set the DSP for their speakers. Impedance, tonality, location, cone material, sensitivity, etc.

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi
JBL GTO928 6" x 9" Grand Touring Coaxial Car Speakers

Huge improvement in the rear doors with those JBLs I listed . Alpine system with factory sub in my 2011 Quad Cab

Fit nice . Had to use different screws , and then bought the speaker wire adapters so no cutting

Left everything else alone . Left the front doors factory stock

Those tweeters are uni pivot and have a decibal switch

Bass was also much cleaner . Huge improvement overall for such a little price

EagleChief

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I spoke to him directly about it. Did you have different part numbers than the ones below?

ME:
I used the Mopar Kickers, 77KICK42 for front, 77KICK41 for rear.

GreyGoose:
I usually would recommend them for base audio, but not the Alpine. The engineers at Alpine set the DSP for their speakers. Impedance, tonality, location, cone material, sensitivity, etc.
To be honest, I don't remember what the part numbers were. It's been a while since I asked about it. Kind of sounds familiar, though.