Need help ASAP! Radio questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm at future shop trying to buy an install kit for my single din, and the guy has no clue what one I need. The computer is saying I need a special wiring harness because everything goes through my stereo. I have a 4 speaker system, with no steering wheel controls. If anyone knows what one I need, that would be awesome!

Thanks

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Do you have a premium sound system? If no, then your wiring harness should be no more than $20. If you have a premium sound system in that truck, then you might have a stock amplifier somewhere in there. It should say somewhere on your a-pillar if you have a premium infinity system on there I believe but I'm not too sure.

If you do have a premium stock sound system, then you might need that special wiring harness if you don't feel like bypassing the amplifier which is not recommended if you're only installing a new deck.

FYI, I would take it somewhere else other than future shop because 4x4Hemi went there for trouble shooting on his system and they couldn't figure out a simple problem that another shop could.

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Do you have a premium sound system? If no, then your wiring harness should be no more than $20. If you have a premium sound system in that truck, then you might have a stock amplifier somewhere in there. It should say somewhere on your a-pillar if you have a premium infinity system on there I believe but I'm not too sure.

If you do have a premium stock sound system, then you might need that special wiring harness if you don't feel like bypassing the amplifier which is not recommended if you're only installing a new deck.

FYI, I would take it somewhere else other than future shop because 4x4Hemi went there for trouble shooting on his system and they couldn't figure out a simple problem that another shop could.

Thanks for the help. I went to Best buy after and they said they are getting rid of their car audio stuff, and that it had all been shipped over the Future Shop. So I went to another Future Shop and had zero problems. The guy asked me if I had the premium sound system, I said no, then he gave me a wiring harness that was on $17.99.

Thanks for you help Nesto. Now I get to install it!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
the special harness is most likely the canbus adapter for your power

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
In 2006 they changed to Canbus

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Now I'm having some problems. I've got all the wires heat shrunk and soldered together, and when I plug in the harness to my truck, and doesn't do anything. The only thing it will do is make a noise when I press eject. Any ideas? The wiring harness I have is BHA1818 and the deck I'm using is a JVC KD-R620.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Is that somewhat similar to what GM vehicles have with the OnStar system where they had to get a special $70 adapter so that their vehicle wouldn't go crazy?

I honestly dont know much about it. I just know that the power to the radio goes through the canbus

OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Here are the wiring diagram for the deck

Attachments

• 028.jpg
    028.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 45
OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
On my Best kit harness, it has 2 grounds, and 2 constant battery wires. Could that be my problem?

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Try turning on the radio.

When I installed my first radio I redid the wiring 3 times because I couldn't get it to turn on. I would hear a sound from the cd area when I pressed the eject button as if the deck was getting power but I couldn't turn it on. Turns out that I wasn't pressing the correct power button!

You might be having the same problem.

On my Best kit harness, it has 2 grounds, and 2 constant battery wires. Could that be my problem?

Not sure, could you post up a picture of the harness?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hurley91

Hurley91

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Try turning on the radio.

When I installed my first radio I redid the wiring 3 times because I couldn't get it to turn on. I would hear a sound from the cd area when I pressed the eject button as if the deck was getting power but I couldn't turn it on. Turns out that I wasn't pressing the correct power button!

You might be having the same problem.

Not sure, could you post up a picture of the harness?

Well it turns out I have that stupid Can Bus wiring. My dad was able to help me wire it up. The only thing that wouldn't let the Best Kits wiring harness work was that it was missing an ignition wire. So we spliced into my rear window switch, and now it works! Now I have to put everything back together.

Nesto1000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Well it turns out I have that stupid Can Bus wiring. My dad was able to help me wire it up. The only thing that wouldn't let the Best Kits wiring harness work was that it was missing an ignition wire. So we spliced into my rear window switch, and now it works! Now I have to put everything back together.

Problem solved! Haha I'm glad that you figured out how to install it without the canbus adapter and having to waste a lot more money on that.