Radio install help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I just had an aftermarket radio installed JVC KW-M780BT, with Maestro RR, and Maestro CH3 by Best Buy. Everything works except the left steering wheel cluster, horn, and audio controls on back of steering wheel. The right steering wheel cluster works fine (cruise control, etc). Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue? They checked and I've checked fuses under the hood. Could they have cut wrong wires? My next appointment with them isn't until September 13th to diagnose it. Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.
Sorry, truck is 2021 Ram 1500 Classic single cab 4x4 Tradesman

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hello all. I just had an aftermarket radio installed JVC KW-M780BT, with Maestro RR, and Maestro CH3 by Best Buy. Everything works except the left steering wheel cluster, horn, and audio controls on back of steering wheel. The right steering wheel cluster works fine (cruise control, etc). Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this issue? They checked and I've checked fuses under the hood. Could they have cut wrong wires? My next appointment with them isn't until September 13th to diagnose it. Thanks for reading and any help is appreciated.
Sorry, truck is 2021 Ram 1500 Classic single cab 4x4 Tradesman
This should not happen from a radio install. Was any other work done?

OP
OP
NickM757

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No other work. Just a radio, not even speakers. To make it worse, I installed the mopar steering wheel audio controls only 2 weeks ago. I got to at least enjoy that for a little while. I'm wondering if the 5th gens radio harness is different and since my truck is a 2021 classic he looked at the wrong install paperwork. I'm not sure what their training is but I was told a level 2 technician has to look at it now that is more knowledgeable. Just a crap experience that makes me not trust going somewhere like this again.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
They need to flash the RR module with the correct software is my guess

OP
OP
NickM757

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They need to flash the RR module with the correct software is my guess
They said they tried that. It's just weird that the cruise buttons on the wheel works but nothing else. Hopefully the tech at the other best buy can figure it out if I can't before the appointment. I appreciate the idea. I have a list of stuff I'm gonna ask the other tech when I see him.

skuppy069

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 cc
Engine
hemi 5.7
The cruise control uses a different can ID compared to the audio buttons that’s why I think it’s a flash issue with the RR module
Those commands on done via can ID

OP
OP
NickM757

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The cruise control uses a different can ID compared to the audio buttons that’s why I think it’s a flash issue with the RR module
Those commands on done via can ID
Thanks for the info. That makes more sense now. Hopefully this other tech I talk with will check that out. I feel that the installer had no idea what he was doing.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
No other work. Just a radio, not even speakers. To make it worse, I installed the mopar steering wheel audio controls only 2 weeks ago. I got to at least enjoy that for a little while. I'm wondering if the 5th gens radio harness is different and since my truck is a 2021 classic he looked at the wrong install paperwork. I'm not sure what their training is but I was told a level 2 technician has to look at it now that is more knowledgeable. Just a crap experience that makes me not trust going somewhere like this again.
Since you juat added the steering wheel controls I'd say that could still be a likely culprit (and much cheaper then the clockspring). If they are routed incorrectly they can break/short easily.

OP
OP
NickM757

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update for anyone who has a similar issue. Dealership had the truck for 5 days inspecting and charging me almost $900 but couldn't find the reason. They ultimately blamed the aftermarket radio and dropped the charges. I went back to best buy to install stock radio and it still didn't fix the problem. Drove it home mind racing and thought I'd stop and get some food. As I'm sitting I search trusty Google. Found a thread somewhere talking about fuse #49 which is ICS/HVAC 10A. I checked mine and it was bad. Replaced with another and wouldn't you flippin know it.....everything works now. WTFFF? Can someone please explain why that fuse has anything to do with my issue? Thanks for reading and any help.

Attachments

• 20231002_160258.jpg
    20231002_160258.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231002_160150.jpg
    20231002_160150.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20231002_160144.jpg
    20231002_160144.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 4

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Update for anyone who has a similar issue. Dealership had the truck for 5 days inspecting and charging me almost $900 but couldn't find the reason. They ultimately blamed the aftermarket radio and dropped the charges. I went back to best buy to install stock radio and it still didn't fix the problem. Drove it home mind racing and thought I'd stop and get some food. As I'm sitting I search trusty Google. Found a thread somewhere talking about fuse #49 which is ICS/HVAC 10A. I checked mine and it was bad. Replaced with another and wouldn't you flippin know it.....everything works now. WTFFF? Can someone please explain why that fuse has anything to do with my issue? Thanks for reading and any help.
No idea, $900 and they didn't even check the fuses?

OP
OP
NickM757

NickM757

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No idea, $900 and they didn't even check the fuses?
Yeah. That's the 1st thing I thought of too. It's as if they are focused on large components and hope it works. Also, they had recommended changing the steering rack as that was a likely cause....for $5,000. It was my 1st and last time going to a dealership for work.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Yeah. That's the 1st thing I thought of too. It's as if they are focused on large components and hope it works. Also, they had recommended changing the steering rack as that was a likely cause....for $5,000. It was my 1st and last time going to a dealership for work.
Good Call! Glad you figured this out. This thread might be very helpful to others in the future!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The HVAC system is directly connected to the Radio.
I think it is a sort of Redundant type thing.
( like some cars that had Push Button Controls for the transmission, also had a shifter attached under the Drivers Seat, IF the Shift Buttons failed, the driver could look under the seat, detach the shift lever, Then lift a flap above the transmission tunnel & thread the shift lever into the top of the transmission & continue on their drive, redundancy. )

Also when you switch from a OEM radio, to an after market radio.
Before changing the radios out, the installer is suppose to set the steering wheel options to make them function. Doing that will some how make them continue to function after the Radio swap.